• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's the house worth?

I know a guy with a Phd in Chemical Engineering who is doing research on fuel cell technology in San Jose area paying out over 1/2 his income on the mortgage of a small bungalow. They rely on his wife's income for vacations and savings, as all of his is eaten up with monthly expenses. And, he makes really good money. It's nuts.

I asked him if he missed Ohio.
Why-o why-o did he ever leave Ohio.

Wal Marts wages have nothing to do with their stock prices. The wages they pay are related to the job that is being done. You would know that if you ever put your ass on the line for an investment into a business. People that work at Wal Mart typically either do so as a second job, as kids in their first jobs, or mama making pin money. That you loomat a company like Walmart and see their employees as 'career' employees speaks volumes...of you.
Out dated thought process.

Retail accounts for 6% of ALL jobs in the country. And growing. Fast. In many places, its the only gig in town. Ergo, many of them ARE career workers.

Now go on and vilify them for poor choices.

Retail accounts for 6% of ALL jobs in the country. And growing. Fast. In many places, its the only gig in town. Ergo, many of them ARE career workers.

I imagine fast food accounts for a lot of that as well. The number of workers in the industry is irrelevant to the job performed, and lets be honest...a LOT of those people that are hired in those retail jobs didnt exactly prepare themselves for the middle too upper middle income workforce. Those jobs are also the most vulnerable for loss as those industries move toward automation and online sourcing.

So you can go ahead and whine and claim that facts are vilification. But facts are sticky things. The job of running a cash register or stocking a shelf CAN be seen as a 'career'...but shouldnt be. Neither should pushing a mop. Or making a half assed cup of coffee. Or flipping a burger. Or clerking at a convenience store.

So you're fine giving tax breaks to companies that enrich shareholders rather than investing in their own companies and employees?
Im fine with tax breaks and incentives for employers to bring in work and jobs. Id certainly be more selective with who gets what breaks, based on their plan for breaks. Then again...dood...seriously...we have reached a point where every special interest group or pet project gets a tax break or worse...government hand outs. Its a little silly to pretend to be concerned about tax breaks for businesses when the government is shelling out hundred of billions to unions.

For all your bitching about Wal Mart...do you know how many people an average Wal Mart employs? It is one of the largest employers in the country, it heres nearly 2 million people not counting their distribution and online sales programs, and their average employee salaries is $14.75 and hour...much higher in some states.

Again...we arent talking about people that killed it in the career planning department as youth.

But while workign at WalMart they can accumulate overtime pay, leave, college assistance, retirement plans, and have opportunities for advancement.

How is it not a choice 'long term?' You make them sound like victims.

How is it not a choice 'long term?' You make them sound like victims.
Define victim?

Is exploitation a victimless crime?

Or is it your opinion that retail workers aren't exploited?

Define victim?

People have choices. If they are choices they 'dont like,' that's a fact of life. IMO no one should squat in a entry-level job for years. It prevents others from getting their chance, their experience, their opening into commerce and career.

And yes, moving is a choice. Not having kids until you can afford them is a choice. Sharing an apt or having roommates is a choice. For the motivated, you move on and up.

So the implication that they are 'stuck' with being exploited makes it sound like they are victims. IMO, they are not. They are capable of making choices.

People have choices. If they are choices they 'dont like,' that's a fact of life. IMO no one should squat in a entry-level job for years. It prevents others from getting their chance, their experience, their opening into commerce and career.

And yes, moving is a choice. Not having kids until you can afford them is a choice. Sharing an apt or having roommates is a choice. For the motivated, you move on and up.

So the implication that they are 'stuck' with being exploited makes it sound like they are victims. IMO, they are not. They are capable of making choices.
Some do, some don't. For many, choice is just a word we apply to an illusion they labor under. Not everyone is capable of progressing their career. Not everyone has the choice of moving. Choice is a privalege afforded by resources.

Define victim?

Please respond to my comments before bringing more of your own. I'm happy to go with the dictionary definition of victim.

Some do, some don't. For many, choice is just a word we apply to an illusion they labor under. Not everyone is capable of progressing their career. Not everyone has the choice of moving. Choice is a privalege afforded by resources.
Wow, how stupid do you believe so many Americans are? That they cannot advance beyond entry level food service and retail services?

I dont accept that, I'd need to see sociological data and related IQ levels before I'd accept that. Do you have that?

History IMO proves you wrong. All thru history, the motivated MADE choices. They moved to where the jobs were, they opened a new frontier (land, resources, industries, technologies, etc), they created their own jobs/businesses. They saved and invested.

And yes, everyone can move. No one says they want to leave family, etc behind. But that has been all of humanity's history.

Sure. Not everyone. I mean...illegal immigrants can literally WALK here with nothing, find work, buy homes, start businesses, build lives for themselves...but not Americans. They need government to find a way to force the rich to pay more to take care of them.

Im fine with tax breaks and incentives for employers to bring in work and jobs. Id certainly be more selective with who gets what breaks, based on their plan for breaks. Then again...dood...seriously...we have reached a point where every special interest group or pet project gets a tax break or worse...government hand outs. Its a little silly to pretend to be concerned about tax breaks for businesses when the government is shelling out hundred of billions to unions.

For all your bitching about Wal Mart...do you know how many people an average Wal Mart employs? It is one of the largest employers in the country, it heres nearly 2 million people not counting their distribution and online sales programs, and their average employee salaries is $14.75 and hour...much higher in some states.

Again...we arent talking about people that killed it in the career planning department as youth.

But while workign at WalMart they can accumulate overtime pay, leave, college assistance, retirement plans, and have opportunities for advancement.
Define victim?

It's not exploitation to him because he thinks they deserve the standard of living of a farm animal.

Sure. Not everyone. I mean...illegal immigrants can literally WALK here with nothing, find work, buy homes, start businesses, build lives for themselves...but not Americans. They need government to find a way to force the rich to pay more to take care of them.
Are you unaware of the many benefits that refugees get that Americans can't even apply for?

There it is. When children are treated like a commodity. When family is a luxury.
I dont treat anyone else's kids like anything. If you have children before you can support them decently with food, clothes, and a safe place to live...you're irresponsible at minimum, dangerous possibly.

No one owes you more because you have children, that is YOUR CHOICE. Family is a choice, not a commodity, not a luxury...it's a choice. Choose responsibly.

I note you were unable to address anything else in my post. So then you recognize the facts?

Are you unaware of the many benefits that refugees get that Americans can't even apply for?
Please list some that illegal immigrants (not refugees) get.

He didnt write refugees.

In the future please title any thread you create in a meaningful way.
The house is worth what the owner can find another willing to pay.

In the future please title any thread you create in a meaningful way.
The house is worth what the owner can find another willing to pay.
Lol you're fine with the scenario?

This is how it is where I live. All these "hard working folks" who literally inherited their opportunity and most their wealth decrying the folks they have no understanding of.
Out of curiosity, what percentage of American millionaires do you think inherited their wealth?

It's not exploitation to him because he thinks they deserve the standard of living of a farm animal.
:ROFLMAO:

Your comments are ****ing pathetic.

People 'deserve' the standard of living they are willing to earn. The greatest tragedy modern minority communities and our later generations have experienced is people like you with your incessant whining about how ****ing unfair life is and how they cant succeed and its not their fault if they fail.

Stop embarrassing yourself with your pathetic horseshit. NOW you are such an oppressed little guy that even the REFUGEES get more than you?
****...no wonder. Seriously...its not ****ing wonder.

There it is. When children are treated like a commodity. When family is a luxury.
Phatz, my offer still stands, if you are sick and tired of being unable to afford the things you want.

Back
Top Bottom