• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's the absolute scariest movie you've ever seen?

Superfly

Salty, defiant, and completely non-compliant.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Which one is the scariest you've ever seen? Don't laugh at me, but mine is Paranormal Activity. I know, most people think it's lame. I am a huge horror fanatic, so I'm always on the lookout for the next good scary movie. When this one came out, I was so scared that, when I woke up in the middle of the night and needed to go to the bathroom, I was afraid to open my eyes. I didn't know what I'd see in my dark bedroom. :eek:

And please don't make fun of someone if you think their movie isn't scary. Scary is very subjective, so what's scary for one might be lame for another.

Which one is the scariest you've ever seen? Don't laugh at me, but mine is Paranormal Activity. I know, most people think it's lame. I am a huge horror fanatic, so I'm always on the lookout for the next good scary movie. When this one came out, I was so scared that, when I woke up in the middle of the night and needed to go to the bathroom, I was afraid to open my eyes. I didn't know what I'd see in my dark bedroom. :eek:

And please don't make fun of someone if you think their movie isn't scary. Scary is very subjective, so what's scary for one might be lame for another.

I won't lie - even though I do not believe in supernatural or paranormal activity, that movie scared the bejesus out of me.

Movies that have unreal plots like - zombies, undead, ghosts, aliens, etc - do not really do it for me.

Movies about serial killers, psychopathic murderers, etc - that kind of **** gets to me, because it is actually possible.

Scary for me isn't jumping out of my skin when something leaps from the dark. It's when something awful can happen in everyday reality.

Decades ago, there was a movie about worms that came out of the ground and up through the plumbing....... eeeeech. *shivers*

An electrical wire had hit the ground during a storm and caused them to boil out of the ground. That's a touch too realistic for me.

I showered watching the showerhead for MONTHS afterward... and still will when I recall it. Like tomorrow morning, after typing this, lol.

Scary for me isn't jumping out of my skin when something leaps from the dark. It's when something awful can happen in everyday reality.

No kidding! Kids didn't even want to take a bath after watching Jaws.

I've also found that even after all these years, The Birds is really a classic frightening movie.

Hard to say for sure. Any top five list would have to include The Shining, which I had the (dubious) good fortune of seeing at a midnight Halloween showing. That movie was intense. Nobody does creepy atmosphere like Kubrick.

Definitely "Descent".

It's about a group of friends who go spelunking, end up getting stuck in the cave, and have to navigate a complex tunnel system in the dark while they get picked off by some ****ed up ****.

I remember I was watching it on my laptop laying in bed, the laptop on my stomache. When one of the creatures jumped out of the dark the first time my laptop almost went flying.

Definitely would recommend, but not for the faint of heart.

Sublime
Jacob's Ladder
The Vanishing

Most claustrophobic:
In the time machine in Primer
The Vanishing

Atlas Shrugged (first 10 minutes). Absolutely frightening. People like this??? Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Sublime
Jacob's Ladder
The Vanishing

Most claustrophobic:
In the time machine in Primer
The Vanishing

Jacob's ladder gave me the creeps for months. Also, the original "Nightmare on Elmstreet" was pretty creepy.

The Changeling - George C Scott... mid seventies

... though, I was on acid at the time

Any movie where you get scary, threatening, or mysterious notes with letters cut out of magazines and pasted on to paper...is frightening.

Definitely "Descent".

It's about a group of friends who go spelunking, end up getting stuck in the cave, and have to navigate a complex tunnel system in the dark while they get picked off by some ****ed up ****.

I remember I was watching it on my laptop laying in bed, the laptop on my stomache. When one of the creatures jumped out of the dark the first time my laptop almost went flying.

I was about to mention descent. By the time the movie was done my muscles were achy from being tensed up for over an hour.

"2016: Obama's America"

Saw Sinister the other night. Pretty damn creepy.
VHS2 was scary.
Aftershock was scary and gory.

Fatal Attraction-the plot is something that actually happens occassionally

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the original when it was orginally released. But in general I don't find scary movies scary, especially ghost ones. I watch them for the t&A and to laugh at the stupity of the plot and characters.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the original when it was orginally released.

I was thinking of this one too.

Interestingly, it has a reputation for extreme gore...when in fact it's hardly a bloody movie at all. But it's intense.

I was about to mention descent. By the time the movie was done my muscles were achy from being tensed up for over an hour.

I like horror movies from time to time because I like to think deeply about how I would act differently if I were in their position. If I can think of a simple or clever way out of it, it won't scare me. In Descent however, I did not come up with one plausible solution. The only option would be to curl up into a crying ball in the corner. THAT is what makes it scary.

I'm also surprised because normally movies like that are cheesy, but that wasn't at all. It had the same kind of darkness Hostel had.

I like horror movies from time to time because I like to think deeply about how I would act differently if I were in their position. If I can think of a simple or clever way out of it, it won't scare me. In Descent however, I did not come up with one plausible solution. The only option would be to curl up into a crying ball in the corner. THAT is what makes it scary.

I'm also surprised because normally movies like that are cheesy, but that wasn't at all. It had the same kind of darkness Hostel had.

I agree...tough to get scared when movies have so many holes and protagonist that do dumb things. Like...always put two bullets in the head when a chainsaw wielding crazy guy gets knocked out! Come on folks!

Yeah..descent...I had the same feeling. Just crawling through the tight places made me squeamish. Mix those guys in and...fetal position time.

Not to mention...in that movie I was thinking "they are ****ed". Like I thought it could possibly end with all of them dead or something because it really did seem like a horrible position to be in.

Punishment park.

honorable mention to "Mr. Brooks" will Kevin Costner. only in so much as I've had several friends and relatives tell me they could totally see me as being "Mr. Brooks". Of course, they also tell me they could see me as "Dexter"

Decades ago, there was a movie about worms that came out of the ground and up through the plumbing....... eeeeech. *shivers*

An electrical wire had hit the ground during a storm and caused them to boil out of the ground. That's a touch too realistic for me.

I showered watching the showerhead for MONTHS afterward... and still will when I recall it. Like tomorrow morning, after typing this, lol.

I've seen that, or a reasonable facsimile thereof. There was one that came out about 10 years ago. Can't remember the name of it but it was along the same vein. Worms were taking over the town. LOVED the Mayor - foul mouthed and used the F word more times than most Mayors say "I promise." I wish I could remember the name of it.

Definitely "Descent".

You should be afraid of that movie. :lol: All guys should be afraid of that movie. It was very anti-man. The only man in the entire movie gets creamed in the first 5 minutes by this huge phallic pole. :lol: If you like that, try The Cave with Cole Hauser, or The Cavern. The Cavern is the poor man's version of The Cave, but I actually liked it a lot better. Scary as hell. They are both around the same age as Descent.

Back
Top Bottom