• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's in Your water?

MC_RODI.jpg

Very very little of anything but water.

What's in my water?

Hopefully, some barley malt, hops and yeast.

“We’ve had the same amount of water on our planet since the beginning of time, ” Susan Leal, co-author of Running Out of Water, told GritTV’s Laura Flanders. “We are on a collision course of a very finite supply and 7.6 billion people.”

That is an astonishingly dumb statement.

That is an astonishingly dumb statement.

The big bang occured in the Pacific Ocean. Didn't you pay attention in scientific class? :roll:

What continues to puzzle me is why people buy BOTTLED water.

It's exponentially more expensive than tap water, has fewer safety and purity controls, does more harm to the environment via the bottle, and a lot of times it IS just tap water.

MC_RODI.jpg

Very very little of anything but water.

FYI drinking pure water is actually bad for you- with no minerals in your water your cells have difficulty managing how much water they absorb and can overabsorb and bloat/burst.

What's in my water?

Hopefully, some barley malt, hops and yeast.

Oh yeah. I add my malt and hops personally.

And another FYI, from what I have heard California's water supply- especially in the Napa valley- is great for making beer. Nevada's is terrible, I'm not too shocked at that revelation.

FYI drinking pure water is actually bad for you- with no minerals in your water your cells have difficulty managing how much water they absorb and can overabsorb and bloat/burst.

You do realize that water will be not pure by the time it reaches your cells having been first exposed to CO2 in the air which forms carbonic acid, and then there is the HCl in your stomach, and whatever food is there with its ion and mineral content being mixed with and dissolved into the "not so pure anymore" water, which then goes through the small intestines picking up more soluble products of digestion before then entering your mineral and ion laden bloodstream to travel to your cells right?

Last edited:
Yes I do. However I was referring more to the deficiency of calcium, sulphates, chlorides, magnesiuim etc.

all available in ones diet, and not guaranteed to be in any significant (or reliable) concentration above trace in your tap water.

They do exist in reliable amounts, actually. As I mentioned, water chemistry makes a big difference in how beer turns out- a little more chlorides in your beer, and your water suddenly is much better at making malty, English style ales as your perception of the malt is affected by the chlroide/sulphate ratio. However this is moot because I highly doubt that a one micron filter will be able to remove all of the salts from your water anyway.

About 600% of my daily allowance of calcium, a little magnesium & a few other trace (but beneficial) minerals.
No one lives or farms upstream of me on my aquifer, but we test anyway. Trust but verify. ;)

I does give the home brew an interesting flavor though.

They do exist in reliable amounts, actually. As I mentioned, water chemistry makes a big difference in how beer turns out- a little more chlorides in your beer, and your water suddenly is much better at making malty, English style ales as your perception of the malt is affected by the chlroide/sulphate ratio. However this is moot because I highly doubt that a one micron filter will be able to remove all of the salts from your water anyway.

Which is fine for beer brewing -the water I use for coffee making is re-mineralized for better flavor as well (and I do not miss things such as the silicates, nitrates and the chloramine that got filtered out one bit) - but coffee and beer making does not have any bearing on how the water in your body rapidly becomes ion rich through mixture and exposure to contents of your digestive system and bloodstream before it even gets close to a cell.

and btw.. dunno where you got the 1 micron filter thing from; however my pre-filters are .5 and .2 microns respectively. Then there is the RO membrane the drinking water goes through (water for aquarium and business use then goes through a pair of DI resin cartridges and is about as pure as anything you will find in your typical laboratory environment)

Last edited:
Lemon Slices:)

Wow, your filter is crazy. Why do you need something with that fine a filter?

the short version: delicate invertebrates and finicky salt water environments.

Back
Top Bottom