• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's better then the World Cup and Wimbledon?

Goof Noodle

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
The College World Series

Go Gators!!!

ihasiohd.jpg

CHOMP CHOMP

The World Series, the Superbowl, the College World Series, Lacross, Bowling, getting shot in the foot, a massive concussion........

Yeah, go Gators. One more ass-whipping like they got from UCLA, the Gators will go...to Gainesville.

Nothing is better than the FIFA World Cup. The Tour de France is better than Wimbledon...

Wow...wrong twice in such a short span. Hehehe

Tennis is amazing, world class sport. And the Stanley Cup beats the pants off the World Cup.

Wow...wrong twice in such a short span. Hehehe

Tennis is amazing, world class sport. And the Stanley Cup beats the pants off the World Cup.

The FIFA World Cup is the world's most popular and greatest sports event. And the Tour de France is the most physically demanding major sporting event in the world... cyclying through those mountains in the Pyranees and Alps, the long flat stages, the time trials... incredibly grueling...

The FIFA World Cup is the world's most popular and greatest sports event. And the Tour de France is the most physically demanding major sporting event in the world... cyclying through those mountains in the Pyranees and Alps, the long flat stages, the time trials... incredibly grueling...

Something being popular doesn't equate to it being good. Lots of things were popular when I was a kid...most of it wasn't good. Everyone gets it, the world loves soccer. It's a simple sport and even poor countries can become good at it since all you need is a ball. Other sports like hockey, not likely to catch on across the whole world. It requires ice, a lot of equipment, it's expensive. As a sport becomes more and more complicated and/or more and more expensive, it will start loosing out on possible fans/players. Fine, but soccer isn't the best sport out there, it's merely the simplest.

Cycling is demanding yes, but also a sport of cheaters. Everyone is sitting around trying to figure out the best way to dope without being caught. Cycling is a slightly less white trash sport than NASCAR, but it's essentially the same thing.

Tennis on the other hand is a world sport which is fantastic. It's fast past, it's grueling, it's exciting, just a simple one on one match (2 v 2 for doubles) against two athletes looking to throw down and demonstrate which one is better. I mean a downside is that everyone is very young because if you play a lot of tennis, your knees will fall off by 30. The most exciting sport in the world, one of mankind's greatest achievments in the field of sports...perhaps the greatest, is hockey. And no World Cup game, series, or entire championship can even measure to the excitement and physicality of the Stanley Cup, the only Cup worth worrying about.

Something being popular doesn't equate to it being good. Lots of things were popular when I was a kid...most of it wasn't good. Everyone gets it, the world loves soccer. It's a simple sport and even poor countries can become good at it since all you need is a ball.

There is nothing like the passion of the World Cup with the best players of the world's most popular and international sport get together with the support of their supporters and fans from back home as well as around the world. What other sporting event can get the passions riled up of people whose countries have absolutely no chance of every qualifying for the event. Part of what makes this the world's greatest event is the passion the people of the world put into this event. The Olympics, the World Hockey Championships, even the World Baseball Classic can't compete with this.

Other sports like hockey, not likely to catch on across the whole world. It requires ice, a lot of equipment, it's expensive. As a sport becomes more and more complicated and/or more and more expensive, it will start loosing out on possible fans/players. Fine, but soccer isn't the best sport out there, it's merely the simplest.

I have nothing against hockey. I enjoy the sport and enjoy watching the Stanley Cup. You may even argue that it is a better sport than soccer (though I wouldn't agree). Regardless, comparing the Stanley Cup finals with the World Cup is all kinds of rediculous.

Cycling is demanding yes, but also a sport of cheaters. Everyone is sitting around trying to figure out the best way to dope without being caught. Cycling is a slightly less white trash sport than NASCAR, but it's essentially the same thing.

I agree that there is a problem with cheating in cycling. It is hard to get it out of the sport. However, with all of the well publicized cheating incidents in American sports, it would be hard to say that the sport of Cycling is the only one that is hampered by the problem, and perhaps because the sport's authorities have been so aggressive in rooting out the problem we hear more about it than, say MLB, which actually colluded in covering up allegedly positive tests a few years ago.

Cycling is not a white trash sport. Those involved in the sport are generally in the upper income brackets as are their fans, where if you go to many NASCAR events, the stands are heavily populated by Southern Rednecks.

Of course, I am biased. I participate/d in both of these sports. I used to be a high level soccer player as a junior and currently am an active cyclist in the context of participating in triathlons.

I am not denigrating ANY sporting events. I think all sports are great and I encourage people to participate in them and enjoy them. However, I am of the opinion that the FIFA World Cup and le Tour de France are two of the greatest sporting events in the world. And, once the FIFA World Cup is completed, I will be watching the Tour with an eagle eye.

Last edited:
-- the Stanley Cup beats the pants off the World Cup.

What is the "Stanley Cup?" Is it a sport that sees the best sportspeople from each country competing with each other?

Is it an American sport (in which case the phrase should be "in the US, the Stanley Cup beats the pants off the FIFA World Cup") only? I'm asking a genuine question as I've seen the thread but wouldn't know what sport it is associated with - keep meaning to read the thread someday.

What is the "Stanley Cup?" Is it a sport that sees the best sportspeople from each country competing with each other?

Is it an American sport (in which case the phrase should be "in the US, the Stanley Cup beats the pants off the FIFA World Cup") only? I'm asking a genuine question as I've seen the thread but wouldn't know what sport it is associated with - keep meaning to read the thread someday.

The Stanley Cup is the championship for ice hockey, which includes teams mostly from the United States with a handful from Canada. Most players are Canadian with smatterings of Americans, Russians and other Eastern and Northern Europeans...

I don't care about either the World Cup or Wimbledon, so I agree with your post.

I remember once, during summer vacation in my high school years.
HBO had nothing but Wimbledon on all day, every day, all summer. :neutral:

I can't remember a time I was more bored in my life than that.

I remember times like that. What's worse is when the Olympics are around.

Um.. what's your favourite sport then?

Lots of sports I like... bowling, baseball, and boxing, for example. However, I don't like TV saturation of ANY sport, and with the exception of boxing, I rarely watch sports on TV. Then again, I seldom watch TV at all.

Man that was a short summer you had.. the whole thing is only 14 days long.

You stay parochial, Ikari!

Hey, I've given fair shakes to most sports. Hockey is the best sport out there, hands down. It can't get better. Soccer is down with basketball.

Back
Top Bottom