• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's Behind South Korea's COVID-19 Exceptionalism?

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
What’s South Korea’s COVID Secret? - The Atlantic

Seven weeks ago, South Korea and the U.S. had the same number of virus deaths. Today, South Korea has fewer than 300, and the U.S. has more than 70,000.

But just as South Korea appeared to be descending into catastrophe, the country stopped the virus in its tracks. The government demanded that the Shincheonji Church turn over its full membership list, through which the Ministry of Health identified thousands of worshippers. All were ordered to self-isolate. Within days, thousands of people in Daegu were tested for the virus. Individuals with the most serious cases were sent to hospitals, while those with milder cases checked into isolation units at converted corporate training facilities. The government used a combination of interviews and cellphone surveillance to track down the recent contacts of new patients and ordered those contacts to self-isolate as well.

Within a month, the Korean outbreak was effectively contained. In the first two weeks of March, new daily cases fell from 800 to fewer than 100.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

S. Korea has had 282 deaths. Normally, 20% of South Korea's population wear a mask in their every day life. After the outbreak, they were ALL ordered to wear masks when in public. Along with the other measures taken by S. Korea, they should be a model for other countries as to how to get this under control. But it's too late for Covid-19 this time around, the cat's already out of the bag euphemistically speaking. Maybe when it returns we will have someone else in the White House, someone who is a leader.

Last edited:
You’ve put North Korea through your commentary, I’m assuming you mean South Korea right?

Seven weeks ago, South Korea and the U.S. had the same number of virus deaths. Today, South Korea has fewer than 300, and the U.S. has more than 70,000.

But just as South Korea appeared to be descending into catastrophe, the country stopped the virus in its tracks. The government demanded that the Shincheonji Church turn over its full membership list, through which the Ministry of Health identified thousands of worshippers. All were ordered to self-isolate. Within days, thousands of people in Daegu were tested for the virus. Individuals with the most serious cases were sent to hospitals, while those with milder cases checked into isolation units at converted corporate training facilities. The government used a combination of interviews and cellphone surveillance to track down the recent contacts of new patients and ordered those contacts to self-isolate as well.

Within a month, the Korean outbreak was effectively contained. In the first two weeks of March, new daily cases fell from 800 to fewer than 100.

S. Korea has had 282 deaths. Normally, 20% of North Korea's population wear a mask in their every day life. After the outbreak, they were ALL ordered to wear masks when in public. Along with the other measures taken by N. Korea, they should be a model for other countries as to how to get this under control. But it's too late for Covid-19 this time around, the cat's already out of the bag euphemistically speaking. Maybe when it returns we will have someone else in the White House, someone who is a leader.

It has nothing to do with the leadership and everything to do with the culture...

... but I understand that you have to express your hatred of Trump at every turn.

S. Korea has had 282 deaths. Normally, 20% of North Korea's population wear a mask in their every day life. After the outbreak, they were ALL ordered to wear masks when in public. Along with the other measures taken by N. Korea, they should be a model for other countries as to how to get this under control. But it's too late for Covid-19 this time around, the cat's already out of the bag euphemistically speaking. Maybe when it returns we will have someone else in the White House, someone who is a leader.

Self discipline and brains instead of overblown egos.

JESUS
yes

thank you, I'm punchy already

It has nothing to do with the leadership and everything to do with the culture...

... but I understand that you have to express your hatred of Trump at every turn.

Are you ****ing serious?

Within days, thousands of people in Daegu were tested for the virus. Individuals with the most serious cases were sent to hospitals, while those with milder cases checked into isolation units at converted corporate training facilities. The government used a combination of interviews and cellphone surveillance to track down the recent contacts of new patients and ordered those contacts to self-isolate as well.

Those are the things REAL LEADERS do. Those are the steps REAL LEADERS take.

Masks! Testing! Isolation! Contact tracing! Exactly what was NEVER suggested by TRUMP!

How different is New Zealand and Australian culture to US culture?

Australians strike me as being rather independent minded and not liking authoritarian leaders

Are you ****ing serious?

Within days, thousands of people in Daegu were tested for the virus. Individuals with the most serious cases were sent to hospitals, while those with milder cases checked into isolation units at converted corporate training facilities. The government used a combination of interviews and cellphone surveillance to track down the recent contacts of new patients and ordered those contacts to self-isolate as well.

You do not understand the difference in culture... you think that within days all of our gun toting freedom loving citizens would self-house arrest and comply with a government tracking their movements by cell phone?

Masks! Testing! Isolation! Contact tracing! Exactly what was NEVER suggested by TRUMP!

Holy ****... calm down. You are acting ****ing hysterical.

How different is New Zealand and Australian culture to US culture?

Australians strike me as being rather independent minded and not liking authoritarian leaders

Not a lot different... but more willing realize that things can be talked out reasonably... at least the Kiwis are.

We are the richest, most powerful nation the world has ever seen.

We could have kicked this things ass. As we are won't to do in a pinch as a nation.

We did not even try to contain it.

Because trump didn't want to.

He preferred to try to wish it away. The history is already written.

He owns this. And as a 56 year old asthamtic with type two diabetes trump can kiss my ass forever.

Are you ****ing serious?

What a bunch of lies.

Not a lot different... but more willing realize that things can be talked out reasonably... at least the Kiwis are.

So you don't think that a reasonable leader in the US talking reasonably about the risks of the virus early. Had that reasonable leader then suggested reasonable precautions like wearing a mask, like social distancing rather than mocking such things that the US population would have been more likely to wear masks and follow social distancing.

So you don't think that a reasonable leader in the US talking reasonably about the risks of the virus early. Had that reasonable leader then suggested reasonable precautions like wearing a mask, like social distancing rather than mocking such things that the US population would have been more likely to wear masks and follow social distancing.

Our Jacinda Ardern is hailed as one of the greatest leaders in the world who handled this so well, etc etc etc and it took her over two months to lock us down... we were never told to wear masks but we did do social distancing for a couple of weeks. Even before we were back to Level 2 people all over the place were not social distancing anymore.

On February 26th, Trump promised this country that within a couple of days, we were going to have zero cases of coronavirus - zero. "When you have 15 people and the 15 within a couple of days is gonna be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done." He thought that was it, he thought they had done a pretty good job. 125,547 deaths from coronavirus to date, that is not zero.

This gutless prig of a man in the White House is responsible then and he's responsible now for the mess we're in and he's not even trying to control it.

What a bunch of lies.

I gave you fact, and all you can do is call it 'lies'. I feel very sad for you because you're going to have a very harsh awakening.

On February 26th, Trump promised this country that within a couple of days, we were going to have zero cases of coronavirus - zero. "When you have 15 people and the 15 within a couple of days is gonna be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done." He thought that was it, he thought they had done a pretty good job. 125,547 deaths from coronavirus to date, that is not zero.

This gutless prig of a man in the White House is responsible then and he's responsible now for the mess we're in and he's not even trying to control it.

... and not one state governor did anything either... and as I said to another poster:

Our Jacinda Ardern is hailed as one of the greatest leaders in the world who handled this so well, etc etc etc and it took her over two months to lock us down... we were never told to wear masks but we did do social distancing for a couple of weeks. Even before we were back to Level 2 people all over the place were not social distancing anymore.

You need to seriously stop thinking about Trump. No ****. No sarcasm. Each time somebody brings him up you need to think of a sunset or rainbow or something to distract yourself. I have done that over issues... not Trump, but it is something that people do to change their focus so that they are able to move on.

Try it.

Trump.

I gave you fact, and all you can do is call it 'lies'. I feel very sad for you because you're going to have a very harsh awakening.

You claimed Trump has done nothing about Covid, and that's untrue.

Don't like rebuttals, stop writing lies.

And don't you worry yourself over my awakening, "woke" one.
Elections have consequences and you've been Trump whining since your arrival to this forum.

You claimed Trump has done nothing about Covid, and that's untrue.

Don't like rebuttals, stop writing lies.

OK. What has he done? Please state with a link.

Actually it has everything to do with leadership and nothing to do with cultures. South Korea got slammed by MERS 5 or 6 years ago. This is why they already had all their ducks in a row for COVID. They already had the capacity, the experience, and the protocols in place.

That's a ridiculous request in light of the fact there are MANY threads in this Forum going back and forth about what Trump did or allegedly failed to do.

You are an eight-year member with over 9,000 posts.

Don't try to tell me you are unaware of posts listing and disputing Trump's actions, and the actions of his Administration.

At some point people need to stop demanding repetitious reiterations of information, when they are well-aware of the information made available already.

Your entire country has half the population of New York City in a country that's about the size of Colorado. You actually have a lot of nerve even trying to compare the two. It's laughable.

And I just remembered the reason I stopped responding to any of your comments.

Oh stop with the silly bait questions.

He doesn't go on the mic and spread fearful hysteria saying we have 120 million who have died from covid like Biden the Bozo has done!

That's a ridiculous request in light of the fact there are Many threads in this Forum going back and forth about what Trump did or allegedly failed to do.

You are and eight-year member with over 9,000 posts.

Don't try to tell me you are unaware.

At some point people need to stop demanding repetitious reiterations of information, when they are well-aware of the information made available already.

So, you got nothing. You can't defend your opinion. But I will wait so that you can "correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready." :lamo

Actually it has everything to do with leadership and nothing to do with cultures. South Korea got slammed by MERS 5 or 6 years ago. This is why they already had all their ducks in a row for COVID. They already had the capacity, the experience, and the protocols in place.

uh-huh.

Back
Top Bottom