• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's all the fuss about so-called "Voter Supression"?

I ithink I might have a wonderful bi-partisan idea. Tax the wealthiest people in America an additional 1%. Call it the GOP Election ID Tax and use the money so that SSI could go out and make sure every single citizen gets one of these new fangled SS cards as replacements to be use as Voter ID cards. Once the citizen has his, don't come back later and tell us that "well he might have moved and we have a responsibility to properly match him to his home. If we can't, he gets removed from the roles."

I got news for you boys. Even if I could get the wealthiest people in America to pay for it or ANYBODY to pay for it and even if the SS Administration went out and got new cards to every citizen, the GOP would STILL continue their efforts to remove citizens from the voting rolls. This stopped being about Election Integrity long ago if it ever was.

The GOP is actually telling us what its about now. They know that if "too many" citizens vote, THEY LOSE. Its that simple. Whereas anybody that was not as unscrupulous as the day was long would say "there is no such thing as too many citizens voting."

Since the right to vote is limited to "citizens" then it's perfectly acceptable (if not a damned good idea!) to require those casting a vote to prove their citizenship. It IS NOT "voter suppression" to require proper identification for the purpose of casting a ballot. It IS NOT voter suppression to reduce polling locations in communities where historic voter turnout is low. It IS NOT voter suppression to set a specific time frame in which a ballot can be submitted. It IS NOT voter suppression to ensure that no single person is casting multiple votes or casting votes for multiple people. Just because Joe went out and picked up ballots from all his neighbors DOES NOT mean that Joe then has the right to fill out those ballots and submit them.

Democrats love their fake news and fake voters.

Whether or not one EXERCISES a right has nothing whatsoever to do with whether the right exists.

There is, as I explained, no RIGHT to vote in the United States of America.

There is, however, a "cultural expectation" that you are going to be able to vote because (regardless of whether they actually use the term) the American people believe that being able to vote is an "essential freedom" without which their country would not be the country that innocent young school children are taught that it is.
Sure, when looked at as only how it effects an individual then it is not as important. Just someone choosing not to exercise a right. Different story when large percentages of the country do not bother to exercise a right. Then they have a real problem other than a right to vote.

No, I disagree with what is basically nothing more than an interpretation that ignores the ninth amendment. For example the word abortion does not appear in the constitution yet women have a right to bodily autonomy. Nor is there any mention in the constitution that a person may use a gun in self defense. Yet, the Court ruled that the Second Amendment to the u.s.. constitution confers an individual right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes such as self-defense. There does not have to be a specific mention of a certain right for that right to exist. The courts can rule that the right is inferred by what is written in the constitution.

And no, it would be sensible if there was a cultural expectation that people fulfil a civic duty and vote. But these are americans we are talking about so its a bit of an oxymoron to use the word sensible and american in the same sentence. This crowd would rather teach there little innocents that freedom is owning a gun, not voting.

It's like this. One of the southern states mandates you get the official photo id card at the Department of Motor Vehicals. THey then shut down the DMV in counties that were predominately black, so people who didn't have photo id's in that area would have to travel to get it. There is no public transportation in those areas. So, the people who need to get the photo id's can't get the photo id's, because the state put a hurdle that is extremely high for them to get it. That elminates their right to vote.

You have it all wrong. Those people CHOSE NOT to expend the slight additional effort required to comply with the legally passed laws and regulations established by the legally elected legislatures. If those people don't care enough about exercising their franchise to put out that slight additional effort required to safe guard elections from rampant voter fraud so that the elections are free, fair, open, and honest, then it surely isn't the fault of those patriotic, conscientious, patriotic, right-thinking, patriotic, hard working, patriotic, honest, patriotic, real, patriotic, true, patriotic, conservative, patriotic, Christian, patriotic, White, patriotic, American, patriotic, citizens who DO care about eliminating voter fraud in order to ensure free, fair, open and honest elections.

[The above form of "Internet Rebuttal" has been specifically and officially approved and endorsed by "Devoted Online Lovers of Trump" Inc. (a non-partisan, independent, research and analysis organization exempt from federal taxation that is dedicated to bringing you the true truth and not the false truth that anyone who doesn't believe 100% of what Donald Trump {BBHN} says tries to tell you the so-called "facts" are), "Pro-Life United Gun Enthusiasts and Manufacturers for Jesus", and “"TheFirst Amendment Rights Trust’ Foundation”.]

Beginning? Nothing in my position has changed. You will find threads from me months ago explaining the issue.

You, however, do not appear to be beginning to grasp that while not a legal/constitutional right, it's more than a 'cultural preference', as I explained, and is central to our democratic values and an important moral issue. A cultural preference is who plays the half-time show, this is a lot more than that. But you are obsessed trying to minimize it, not simply point out the constitutional issue.

I most certainly do understand that the ability to exercise the franchise IS "central to our democratic values". It is and the Canadians call an "Essential Freedom" that is necessary in order to have the type of country/government that innocent young school children are taught actually exists in the country and which is officially lauded at all levels.

My points are simply that

[1] "Americans do NOT have any CONSTITUTIONAL (or even legislated) RIGHT to vote.";​
[2] "There is a group in the United States of America which is hard at work to limit even the "customary freedom" that Americans have to exercise their franchise.";​
[3] "Unless Americans get off their butts, they are likely to find out that they no longer have even the "customary freedom" that they believe is a "right";​
[4] "If the group in the United States of America which is hard at work to limit even the "customary freedom" that Americans have to exercise their franchise is successful, then that will be the end of free, fair, open, and honest elections in the United States of America and American elections will become as much of a farce as those in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. (Or actually worse since the vote counting in the DPRK is actually honest.);​
and​
[5] "Kvetching without action is worse than useless.".​

Like proving who you say you are?

BS

More like going through many extra steps to prove who you are. Having fewer places and times to vote. Having to wait longer on line.

It's why we call it "suppression" instead of elimination.

More like going through many extra steps to prove who you are. Having fewer places and times to vote. Having to wait longer on line.

It's why we call it "suppression" instead of elimination.

Specifics?

I'll wait.

What's awesome is that conservatives will only attempt to fix things that aren't broken.

Specifics?

I'll wait.

Look at the laws being passed.

They restrict voting times, places, methods, and make it harder to register. They are meant to have fewer people vote.

Hear! Hear!

There is none.

Some Dems have to keep beating the drums about "voter suppression" in order to prove to a certain group how much they support them.

Pitiful!
And a lot of republicans have to keep beating drums about voter fraud for the same reason. Touché!

Back
Top Bottom