• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What's a terrorist?

Mr. D

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
terrorism |ˈterəˌrizəm| noun the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

One wonders if Israel did not have the blank check military support of the U.S. if they might not have found a way to make peace with their neighbors. Neither side is blameless for sure, but Israel has not until Sharon's recent moves made a serious attempt to settle the Palestinian or Lebanon issues. They built permanent settlements in areas taken in war demonstrating expansionism and occupied Southern Lebanon until Hezzbolah forced them out by constant terrorism! Remember when Israel indiscriminately shells building and homes and kills women and children it is defending their existance. When a Muslim uses a home made bomb rather than a U.S. F14 he's a terrorist! It's a one side view or "controlled press" gives us of the Middle East! Who in this country hears about the Hezzbolah created hospitals, schools and social programs for Lebanon.

A terrorist is someone that blows up civilians. Be it with suicide bombs, or laser guided bombs from F16's. Of course the Israelis would say they only kill civilians by accident. They must be accident prone then. Especially when they targetted the UN post repeatedly, even whilst at the same time being asked not to & being told that's what they were shelling & bombing.
It seems almost more cowardly of the F16 pilots in a way. I mean they fly away to save their hides to live & to kill yet more civilians another day.

So, What's a terrorist? (I got cut off by the 25 min. rule and a phone call!)

(Terrorism = noun: the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.) Let's get real! Don't most countries do that? What were the two A Bombs on Japan? Terrorism of Japanese civilians justified by some to save American soldiers lives in avoiding an occupation. Maybe it was the thing to do, but it was most certainly terrorism to kill civilians to get Japan to surrender unconditionally! Terrorism is as old and as common as man! Now we act as if it is a new evil! The big difference is we are on the receiving end and I don't much like it either! Although, sitting here I don't feel much terrorized! Do you? Buy me a tour to Europe or Asia and I'm there unterrorized!

So, if you can't save your country by putting on a uniform and fighting a conventional war does that make you a terrorist? Is your freedom fighter always your enemies terrorist? If that's terrorism, the American Indians where terrorists when they attacked settler's families to drive the white invaders off their land that was stolen. How about freedom fighters in WW II who didn't wear uniforms and sabotaged and attacked the NAZI forces by surprise in any way that gave them an advantage? Are you a terrorist if you are so over matched militarily that the only way to win is to use bombs strapped to your body to terrorize the enemy into leaving your country? A guerrilla freedom fighter is always a terrorist when he's caught and executed! We know that!

So are all the Middle East's terrorists just freedom fighters? NO! NO! NO! Did you get the answer NO? But, they are not all the same! Al Qaeda is not the same as Hezzbolah or Hamas no matter how often King George tries to tell us they are! Most experts will tell you that Osama Bin Ladin is hated by Hezzbolah, Hamas and even Saddam! We only get a filtered, biased version of the politics of the Middle East through our press thanks to it's consolidation of ownership. The NeoCons have tried to make it all simple for us like they did the War in Iraq! How simple is it now? How many mistakes were made by those who explained it so very, very simply! NO one is responsible, ever! Only Colin Powell had the class to resign and get away from the stink after he was embarrassed with phony intelligence.

One wonders if Israel did not have the blank check military support of the U.S. if they might not have found a way to make peace with their neighbors. Neither side is blameless for sure, but Israel has not until Sharon's recent moves made a serious attempt to settle the Palestinian or Lebanon issues. They built permanent settlements in areas taken in war demonstrating expansionism and occupied Southern Lebanon until Hezzbolah forced them out by constant terrorism! Remember when Israel indiscriminately shells building and homes and kills women and children it is defending their existence. When a Muslim uses a home made bomb rather than a U.S. F16 he's a terrorist! It's you can't save your country by putting on a uniform and fighting a conventional war does that make you a terrorist? Is your freedom fighter always your enemies terrorist? side view or "controlled press" gives us of the Middle East! Who in this country hears about the Hezzbolah created hospitals, schools and social programs for Lebanon. Hezzbolah and Hamas have the support of their people because they fight for them, and "YES!" using terrorism! Maybe it isn't so black and white simple if you are a Palestinian or Lebanese Muslim!

OK, John Wayne types and Bushies, get out the :flamethro but take a few minutes to think openmindedly about it first before you light it up!!

I say it's targeting civilians for political purposes, unless the civilians take a side, like the village guards, or they are living directly on land you were forced off of without reperations.

Terrorism is deplorable! We all hate it, but I guess when your children are starved and killed by the actions of another society's military you figure that whole society is to blame for allowing such things to happen. Like the small child in a school yard who decides the only way keep a bully away is to fight dirty! Bite, scratch, throw rocks, swing a baseball bat, act like you are a maniac! I've seen kids do it in desperation! They are citicized for fighting dirty, but the bully fears their crazed behavior! My mother told me that her older brother used to hit her and bully her when she was a young girl! One morning he woke up to her standing over him with a large pot of boiling water. She told him, “If you ever hit me again, I’ll pour boiling water on you while you are asleep!” He never hit her again! That’s how terrorism works! When you can’t win fighting by the rules, you terrorize by being willing to break the rules of conventional warfare! We can all rant and condemn it, but it has been around forever and it will always be around because it is a very effective approach of those with little power against a stronger force. The American Indian tried unsuccessfully to save his land and culture with terrorism against settlers, and the Palestinians are using it against Israel for pushing them off their farms in Palestine. After years of terrorism moderate Israelis are finally deciding that living in safety maybe more important than Zionist expansionism! Would they negotiate with the Palestinians without the constant threat of terrorism! No chance! It's there only affective weapon since they don't get F16's from the U.S.!

Last edited:
Mr. D said:
We all hate it, but I guess when your children are starved and killed by the actions of another society's military

Terrorist Propaganda .

The crap you mention aint happening, so the crap that follows aint relevant.

Voidwar said:
Terrorist Propaganda .

Boy, do you have your head in the sand!

Take your next vacation in the area the Palestinians are living in with 80% unemployment and infant mortality worse than much of Africa! Check the facts for yourself! How many Israelis have been killed by terrorism in the last five years, and how many Palestinian and Lebanese Muslims have been killed by Israeli tanks, artillary and F16's. Make a guess 10 to 1, 15 to 1? Oh, of course every house or U.N. building shelled was hiding rockets! Talk about propaganda! Terrorism isn't just a Muslim with a bomb! F16's leveling areas could cause a little terror too!

Mr. D said:
Boy, do you have your head in the sand!

Take your next vacation in the area the Palestinians are living in with 80% unemployment and infant mortality worse than much of Africa!

Those may be the conditions where the Palestinians live, and if they are, I blame the Palestinians for not being productive and wasting their wealth attacking Israel, I dont blame the military of the country the palestinians wont stop attacking.

Your initial claim, is poppycock.

Mr. D said:
I guess when your children are starved and killed by the actions of another society's military

The starvation can be blamed squarely on the folks who are responsible for feeding the kids, i.e. the Palestinians. The killing goes on because as I stated, the palestinians are "wasting their wealth attacking Israel," and thus " I dont blame the military of the country they wont stop attacking. "

See, the reason you are being a propagandist, is because you had to reword your claim . . . so this:

Mr. D said:
I guess when your children are starved and killed by the actions of another society's military

Becomes . . . this:

Mr. D said:
the Palestinians are living in with 80% unemployment and infant mortality worse than much of Africa!

While you now post verifiable conditions, you now have no connection to the IDF as the culprit.

The Palestinians are the culprits, and causing the conditions you mention by "wasting their wealth attacking Israel".

The average woman in Gaza has been giving birth to over seven children.

http://www.library.cornell.edu/colldev/mideast/gazpop.htm

Hate to break this news to those like Mr Big who are so obviously lacking in even the most rudimentary analytical skills, but it sure isn't Israeli men who have been impregnating them at this alarming rate.

Of course there is high unemlpoyment. DUH.

Originally Posted by Voidwar
Terrorist Propaganda .

What a total bunch of bullshit this post is. Dude, warn me next time when you decide to post garbage, I need pull up my pant legs when reading your posts so I don't get them dirty from the river of s.hit coming from your direction!

Was it the Palestinians fault Israel set up snipers and shot to death a 15 year old girl hanging up her laundry? Was it the Palestinians fault Israel started the latest round of conflict with an un-provoked rocket attack on a van that killed 11 civilians?

Can you spell H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y?

Billo_Really said:
What a total bunch of bullshit this post is. Dude, warn me next time when you decide to post garbage, I need pull up my pant legs when reading your posts so I don't get them dirty from the river of s.hit coming from your direction!

Was it the Palestinians fault Israel set up snipers and shot to death a 15 year old girl hanging up her laundry? Was it the Palestinians fault Israel started the latest round of conflict with an un-provoked rocket attack on a van that killed 11 civilians?

Can you spell H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y?

I can find the same thing on the other side of the fence.
This is an anecdote, one story of one fate with no substantiation.
I'm sure the exact same thing has happened to a little Israeli girl, so your point is moot. The palestinians are responsible for the palestinians plight.

Originally posted by Voidwar:
I can find the same thing on the other side of the fence.
This is an anecdote, one story of one fate with no substantiation.
I'm sure the exact same thing has happened to a little Israeli girl, so your point is moot. The palestinians are responsible for the palestinians plight.
I agree with you here.

What's Terrorism? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

i don't see whats wrong with freedom fighters. If i was in Iraq and America was invading i sure as hell would hide with citizens and snipe them or do raids on supplies. It isn't terrorism to kill an enemy its terrorism to do something like 9/11. If I was an Iraqi and i killed a American solider I'm not a terrorist I'm a enemy sorry to you guys who think everyone fighting against America in Iraq are terrorists?:2wave:

The word "Terrorist," by definition, tells you about what people do, yet it tells you very little about whom they are. Terrorism is a tactic. When I hear about "terrorists in Iraq attacking our troops," well, I just shake my head in astonishment. Why does anyone use the word "terrorist?" For the same reason that Native Americans were called "savages." It's exactly like nogoodname says. Anyone attacking military personnel are not terrorists. From their own perspective, they assume they are defending the only way of life they may have ever known. But the cognitive dissonance corps will have their way with that last post, for sure! Just wait for the flames to fly! Whomever takes that bait will question the poster's patriotism, for sure, and we'll hear nothing about the nature of "the terrorists." It's the script they've learned to parrot. I pity these posters. Here they come...

These are ludicrous times we live in. About a week ago, Eric Alterman was on Cspan, and he put the whole ridiculous "War on Terror" into perspective thusly. Imagine if, after Pearl Harbor, FDR had declared war on sneak attacks. Terrorism is a tactic. Sneak attacks are a tactic. You can't declare war on tactics. How ludicrous would that have been? You can declare war on a group of people or a nation. A war on terror is not a war. A war on terror can't be won. Just imagine a "war on sneak attacks." :)lol:) What FDR did declare was, wisely, "we have nothing to fear but fear itself." Our current leadership is, of course, not so wise.

Rightwing "terrorist" media rhetoric makes no sense. And yet, it's rather prevalent, eh? No wonder 30-40% of our nation are uninformed when it comes to basic facts about current events. There is very little mention in the mainstream media of individuals, specific groups, or their aims. We just hear about "the terrorists."

Has the USA ever sided with "the terrorists?" Sure! And why is Israel never called "the terrorists?" I have no idea. Oh yeah, ... right, ... we're not interested in being accurate, we're only interested in being ... ludicrous.

niftydrifty said:
The word "Terrorist," by definition, tells you about what people do, yet it tells you very little about whom they are. Terrorism is a tactic. When I hear about "terrorists in Iraq attacking our troops," well, I just shake my head in astonishment. Why does anyone use the word "terrorist?" For the same reason that Native Americans were called "savages." It's exactly like nogoodname says. Anyone attacking military personnel are not terrorists. From their own perspective, they assume they are defending the only way of life they may have ever known. But the cognitive dissonance corps will have their way with that last post, for sure! Just wait for the flames to fly! Whomever takes that bait will question the poster's patriotism, for sure, and we'll hear nothing about the nature of "the terrorists." It's the script they've learned to parrot. I pity these posters. Here they come...

These are ludicrous times we live in. About a week ago, Eric Alterman was on Cspan, and he put the whole ridiculous "War on Terror" into perspective thusly. Imagine if, after Pearl Harbor, FDR had declared war on sneak attacks. Terrorism is a tactic. Sneak attacks are a tactic. You can't declare war on tactics. How ludicrous would that have been? You can declare war on a group of people or a nation. A war on terror is not a war. A war on terror can't be won. Just imagine a "war on sneak attacks." :)lol:) What FDR did declare was, wisely, "we have nothing to fear but fear itself." Our current leadership is, of course, not so wise.

Rightwing "terrorist" media rhetoric makes no sense. And yet, it's rather prevalent, eh? No wonder 30-40% of our nation are uninformed when it comes to basic facts about current events. There is very little mention in the mainstream media of individuals, specific groups, or their aims. We just hear about "the terrorists."

Has the USA ever sided with "the terrorists?" Sure! And why is Israel never called "the terrorists?" I have no idea. Oh yeah, ... right, ... we're not interested in being accurate, we're only interested in being ... ludicrous.
Exactly sneak attacks have been around for ever and is a good tactic so why wasn't it labeled terrorism back then?

I'll tell you why we call em terrorists,, , because no one will admit that it is Islam Warring on us, and their proper designation is Jihadi.

I'll tell you why we call em terrorists,, , because no one will admit that it is Islam Warring on us, and their proper designation is Jihadi.

Wrong. "Islam" is not warring on us. How many Muslims do you think live on the earth? Eh? How many are warring on us? It's not "Islam." Jihadists are only a portion of worldwide Muslims. They're extremists. Certainly not mainstream. But you said "Jihadi" ... that's very good. A healthy start.

But I have a few questions for you. Just whom are these Islamic "Jihadis?" Are they the majority fighting our guys in Iraq?

When I search this website for the number of times you have said "Jihadi" ... I get one. That one just now, when you were prompted by me to be precise.

When I search this website for the number of times you have parroted right-wing rhet..., um, ... said "terrorist(s)," I get 23.

So by your own admission you talk about these people by not using the proper designation.

Voidwar said:
yep im ploting to destory america write now :shoot PRAISE ALLAH

p.s:ws

niftydrifty said:
Wrong. "Islam" is not warring on us. How many Muslims do you think live on the earth? Eh? How many are warring on us? It's not "Islam." Jihadists are only a portion of worldwide Muslims. They're extremists. Certainly not mainstream. But you said "Jihadi" ... that's very good. A healthy start.

But I have a few questions for you. Just whom are these Islamic "Jihadis?" Are they the majority fighting our guys in Iraq?

When I search this website for the number of times you have said "Jihadi" ... I get one. That one just now, when you were prompted by me to be precise.

When I search this website for the number of times you have parroted right-wing rhet..., um, ... said "terrorist(s)," I get 23.

So by your own admission you talk about these people by not using the proper designation.
dont worry to him ever muslim is a raving jihadis who wants to destory the jews and america.:gunsmilie

Hey Nogoodname, why don't you explain what a dhimmi is.

niftydrifty said:

You should take things in their context.

My statement was making the point that I think we currently use the wrong terminology. I am a part of we. Rather than re-explain things every post, I use the common term, though I think it inaccurate.

I know about the numbers of muslims. I'll just posit that they are against Mankind, and pro Islam, whether they have the guts to go to the battlefield right this minute or not. These numbers you mention are pro-terrorist, they are just also lazy and poor, so it doesn't amount to much real help.

70% for Hamas, and the omnipresent street dancing after 9/11, lead me to disbelieve your "alleged" moderate muslim middle.

Mr. D said:
So, if you can't save your country by putting on a uniform and fighting a conventional war does that make you a terrorist? Is your freedom fighter always your enemies terrorist? If that's terrorism, the American Indians where terrorists when they attacked settler's families to drive the white invaders off their land that was stolen. How about freedom fighters in WW II who didn't wear uniforms and sabotaged and attacked the NAZI forces by surprise in any way that gave them an advantage? Are you a terrorist if you are so over matched militarily that the only way to win is to use bombs strapped to your body to terrorize the enemy into leaving your country? A guerrilla freedom fighter is always a terrorist when he's caught and executed! We know that!

What is your point? If they are freedom fighters why whine and cry if they are crushed in a war which they started? The Labanese govt and the Lebanese civilians are not totally innocent either. They either stand-by and watched Hezbollah built up lethal weapons or be a part of their ploy as human shield to launch attacks on innocent Israel civilians. If they can go on wild riot spree destroying buildings in the street to voice anger against Israel, they sure had the potential long ago to put up a resistive demonstration against Hezbollah's accumulation of lethal weapon build-up in their neighborhood, which they should know would put their lives in danger.

Why the celebration when Israeli soldiers were attacked and killed? Why no condemnation when innocent Israeli children and civilians were killed? If you can't take the heat why start the fire? BTW, American Indians did not get so obsessed with deep hatred that last forever like the Islamic terrorists/extremists. They don't teach their children from generations to generations to hate and kill their enemies for the sake of hate and killing. No, the American Indians moved on and live and let live despite the gross injustice done to them and their land.

How many Israelis have been killed by terrorism in the last five years, and how many Palestinian and Lebanese Muslims have been killed by Israeli tanks, artillary and F16's. Make a guess 10 to 1, 15 to 1? Oh, of course every house or U.N. building shelled was hiding rockets! Talk about propaganda! Terrorism isn't just a Muslim with a bomb! F16's leveling areas could cause a little terror too!

What's your point? Didn't you said they are freedom fighters? If it's a war it's a killing field. Don't the freedom fighters or you for that matter know they or their people will be killed when they started a war they can't finish? At least Israel is trying to avoid civilian casualty. The terrorists on the other hands are trying hard to maximize civilian casualties on both sides. That's why they don't put on uniform and hide behind civilians. If their opponents get killed, they win. If their civilians get killed, they are the victims, and they win. And thanks to ignorant people like you, with your "Talk about propaganda!", they are always in the win-win situation, no matter what.

Terrorism is deplorable! We all hate it, but I guess when your children are starved and killed by the actions of another society's military you figure that whole society is to blame for allowing such things to happen.

What a bunch of BS. Yeah, Talk about propaganda!

When you want to ignore that people are human so you don't have to treat them fairly the first thing you must do is label them as not being like us! That is what has been done with the label TERRORIST! Now you don't have to learn about what suffering and injustice they have gone through! Now you can say fight by our military rules for your homeland and your children's future or you are a terrorist! Put on the uniform you don't have and fight our F16's and tanks with your rifle or you are a terrorist! If you attack our homes and our country with terrorism because it's your only way to hurt us and drive us away, you are a terrorist! Fight by our righteous rules: "Heads I win, tails you lose!"

The U.S. and Britian have been one sided in this conflict and the Zionists in Israel have created much of this hatred! Read about the sound trucks telling Muslims to leave their farms in Israel or be killed! Google Shabra & Shatilla and then tell me about terrorism! Maybe you don't want to know!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom