• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Whatever screws over the poor the GOP is for it.

James D Hill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
So the GOP is against raising the minimum wage. Why does that not suprise me? They are against food stamps. They are against unemployment benifits.They where against social security during the FDR days. They where against Medicare and Medicade. They are against entitlements period. The right wing hates the poor unles they are stupid rednecks or religous fanatic's rural voters who they have duped into blindly voting for them in spite of the fact voting for dem's would be in their best interest.It is a joke to think they act like they don't know why their party is falling apart nationally and can't win anything outside the freaking bible belt.Keep up the good work conservatives.Good luck ever winning the Whitehouse again.

The GOP is against less of most of those things, not none of them. The GOP worries more about fostering the best economic conditions for the community instead of the needs and wants of the lowest common denominator. The GOP is in no danger of going anywhere. The democrat in the WH though is not exactly that popular among the swing 5% so between 2014-2016 the GOP just needs to remain out of sight and out of mind and they will win it back.

Conservatism is one thing: a scam for getting cheap labor to make the rich richer.

Besides that, there's no there there. Every one of the GOP's policies has this goal, even their social agenda is really an agenda to impoverish. Single mothers forced to have unwanted children have no negotiating power, so the GOP is against abortion. That's how the conservative mind works.

So the GOP is against raising the minimum wage. Why does that not suprise me? They are against food stamps. They are against unemployment benifits.They where against social security during the FDR days. They where against Medicare and Medicade. They are against entitlements period. The right wing hates the poor unles they are stupid rednecks or religous fanatic's rural voters who they have duped into blindly voting for them in spite of the fact voting for dem's would be in their best interest.It is a joke to think they act like they don't know why their party is falling apart nationally and can't win anything outside the freaking bible belt.Keep up the good work conservatives.Good luck ever winning the Whitehouse again.

Some European philosopher, I think it was Sloterdijk, said "there are not two parties in America, but only two right wings of the same party". Not sure if I agree with him, but I think it cannot be denied that neither party in the American system so far can exist without a lot of "legal bribes" aka "donations" by big business. The Democrats maybe pay a little more lip service to the cause of poor people, workers and employees, but I doubt they are fundamentally different than the obviously big business-oriented Republicans.

Some European philosopher, I think it was Sloterdijk, said "there are not two parties in America, but only two right wings of the same party". Not sure if I agree with him, but I think it cannot be denied that neither party in the American system so far can exist without a lot of "legal bribes" aka "donations" by big business. The Democrats maybe pay a little more lip service to the cause of poor people, workers and employees, but I doubt they are fundamentally different than the obviously big business-oriented Republicans.

The US has an extremely generous welfare state. Over a 50% increase in food stamp useage in 10 years. Not to mention all the other programs. Under Bush welfare spending grew and grew,not cut.

Just to be clear, conservatives and the GOP aren't against working for a living and supporting yourself and your offspring.

Just to be clear, conservatives and the GOP aren't against working for a living and supporting yourself and your offspring.

Yeah, the GOP stand for having rich parents. It's your choice!

Yeah, the GOP stand for having rich parents. It's your choice!

Only you would extrapolate such nonsense from my posting.

The only natural follow-up to your posting is - and the Democrats stand for nobody having rich parents.

Only you would extrapolate such nonsense from my posting.

The only natural follow-up to your posting is - and the Democrats stand for nobody having rich parents.

The context was larger than your post. But it is amusing how you get all defensive for mischaracterizing the OPs position. I guess that's all conservatives can do.

This explains a lot:

"Bob Herbert, a New York Times columnist, reported a 1981 interview with Lee Atwater, published in Southern Politics in the 1990s by Alexander P. Lamis, in which Lee Atwater discussed politics in the South:

Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."[4]

Herbert wrote in the same column, "The truth is that there was very little that was subconscious about the G.O.P.'s relentless appeal to racist whites. Tired of losing elections, it saw an opportunity to renew itself by opening its arms wide to white voters who could never forgive the Democratic Party for its support of civil rights and voting rights for blacks.""

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This explains a lot:

"Bob Herbert, a New York Times columnist, reported a 1981 interview with Lee Atwater, published in Southern Politics in the 1990s by Alexander P. Lamis, in which Lee Atwater discussed politics in the South:

Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."[4]

Herbert wrote in the same column, "The truth is that there was very little that was subconscious about the G.O.P.'s relentless appeal to racist whites. Tired of losing elections, it saw an opportunity to renew itself by opening its arms wide to white voters who could never forgive the Democratic Party for its support of civil rights and voting rights for blacks.""

Ah yeah,the old Lee Atwater bogeyman. Original.

Nineteen states have minimum wage set at higher than the Federal government. Five states have no minimum wage at all on the state level. Seventeen states are Democrat-controlled in both houses. Only one of these states has raised the minimum wage since 2011. Two states have raised minimum wage in Republican-controlled houses. And one other one has a split legislature. So one might say your first assertion doesn't hold water.

Republicans in Washington want to see all entitlements reformed. They're right. They sorely need it.

This explains a lot:

I have been trying to tell these right wingers this very thing and they always call BS. Thanks my friend. Racism is now a conservatives thing and so is class warfare which they always accuse liberals of. If they did not engage in class warfare then they would not be attacking entitlements the way they do in the name of austerity.

Nineteen states have minimum wage set at higher than the Federal government. Five states have no minimum wage at all on the state level. Seventeen states are Democrat-controlled in both houses. Only one of these states has raised the minimum wage since 2011. Two states have raised minimum wage in Republican-controlled houses. And one other one has a split legislature. So one might say your first assertion doesn't hold water.

Republicans in Washington want to see all entitlements reformed. They're right. They sorely need it.

You are wrong my friend. The only reason those GOP states raised their minimum wadge was because it was so low it was making them look like the tightwads they are. Here in Washington state we have one of the highest minimum wadges in the country and the conservatives are still screaming about it. Leave entitlements alone.

I say take all the money out of politics. It has corrupted the system.

I am interested on your view on this example
An entry level person is paid at the minimum wage. The skilled/fully trained person makes $5/hr more than the minimum wage.
We now raise the minimum wage by 20%. Now comes the questions:

- Should the skilled/fully trained person also get a 20% raise?
- If not, are you not devaluing the skilled/trained persons worth?
- What would the raises do to inflation across the board?

I have other questions, but those will do for now.

No but they are against unemployment benifits and foodstamps that will hold you over until you get that next job. That is just plain BS in the first degree and even worse in hard times.

I am interested on your view on this example
An entry level person is paid at the minimum wage. The skilled/fully trained person makes $5/hr more than the minimum wage.
We now raise the minimum wage by 20%. Now comes the questions:

- Should the skilled/fully trained person also get a 20% raise?
- If not, are you not devaluing the skilled/trained persons worth?
- What would the raises do to inflation across the board?

I have other questions, but those will do for now.

I don't know how expensive it is to live in AZ but in Washington state you can't get an apartment (2 bedroom) for under 750 a month. minumum wage means you are going to be homeless if you want to eat or pay your bills. all Americans deserve a living wage. Either cut prices or raise wages. It is that simple.

And you believe that no one deserves the fruits of their own labors.

It's easy to give away other people's money.

We are the richest country in the world. There is plenty of money to give away my friend like the money of those fat cats who are just sitting on it while the rest of us go under.

Hey HOJ, post more Liberals holding racist signs.

It's your forte.

Please don't go there after what those Tea Party nimrods did. What about all those birther morons? They where as racist as they come and you know it. Yes the righ now is the most racist by far. Don't deny it.

We are the richest country in the world. There is plenty of money to give away my friend like the money of those fat cats who are just sitting on it while the rest of us go under.

Define fat cat. At what annual income do you cross the line into being a fat cat?

Back
Top Bottom