• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Whatever happened to anthrax?

goligoth

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I was just wondering if anyone knows? I mean there for a good couple months that was all that was reported and now the word might as well just not exist...
I like to think that it wasn't just bs... :bs

Oh come on.........someone has to know...:sigh:

Basically, folks were saying Iraq was behind it, made a big noise, then when upon investigation it was determined there was absolutely not basis for that assertion, the issue quietly slipped off the radar screen. Last I heard they were blaming it on some American terrorist.

huh...

I saw the thing blaming the american guy. I was in my conspiracy theory stage and it made me question everybody. Was anybody ever convicted or was it covered up when they couldn't figure it out?

goligoth said:
huh...

I saw the thing blaming the american guy. I was in my conspiracy theory stage and it made me question everybody. Was anybody ever convicted or was it covered up when they couldn't figure it out?
I think the latter.

Well did they check the return address?

Maybe they forgot about that...it really wouldn't surprise me.

goligoth said:
I was just wondering if anyone knows? I mean there for a good couple months that was all that was reported and now the word might as well just not exist...
I like to think that it wasn't just bs... :bs

I heard they broke up and each member is now in a new band.

I am listening to "Sound of White Noise" RIGHT NOW!

Hy Pro Glo Baby...YEAH!

Pen said:
Wikipedia is keeping it's entry current and is a good place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_anthrax_attacks

Personally, my BS meter went off based on the timing of the mailings and that the anthrax was "home grown."

correct me if I'm wrong.. I thought that I read that they haven't caught the person responisible yet....and according to that website the FBI is still working on it...I refuse to believe that the almighty FBI can be beaten...but I that isn't that bad of a problem in my mind...the problem exists when the mailings just stop, If a person enjoys doing this crap and the FBI can't find them, then why would they stop, the letters even said "you can't stop us" so they were looking for a way to prove their power...huh

Anthrax was just used to scare us. If terrorists really were such a great threat they would have done a lot more **** than anthrax.

Sir_Alec said:
Anthrax was just used to scare us. If terrorists really were such a great threat they would have done a lot more **** than anthrax.

Why did they stop. They aren't being caught and I find it dificult to believe that they had a change of heart so why....:confused:

goligoth said:
Why did they stop. They aren't being caught and I find it dificult to believe that they had a change of heart so why....:confused:

because it done it job...to scare us!

I just recently received my Anthrax yearly booster. Just because the media's not cashing in on it anymore, doesn't mean it up and dissapeared. People's attention usually only follow the headlines. :roll:

Well...

They chased around this guy for a while :

image518343x.jpg

Steven Hatfill, bioterrorism type guy, former govt scientist

But they never got anything on him but managed to ruin his name and cost him his job @ Louisiana State University.

Fox News said:
It has long been speculated that the anthrax in the tainted mailings that killed five people and sickened 17 shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks was somehow stolen from the Fort Detrick labs.

The facility housed the strain of anthrax found in the envelopes sent to the victims,

LINK

The BBC said:
An FBI forensic linguistics expert believes the US anthrax attacks were carried out by a senior scientist from within America's biological-defence community.

Professor Don Foster - who helped convict Unabomber Ted Kaczynski and unveiled Joe Klein as the author of the novel Primary Colors - says the evidence points to someone with high-ranking military and intelligence connections.

Speaking about the investigation for the first time, Prof Foster told the BBC he had identified two suspects who had both worked for the CIA, the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) and other classified military operations.

Controversially, Prof Foster says the killer is likely to be highly patriotic individual who wanted to demonstrate that the US was badly prepared for an act of biological terrorism.

The weapons-grade anthrax was posted in letters just days after the 11 September terror attacks, leaving five people dead, 18 injured and 35,000 forced to take precautionary antibiotics.

The professor says he does not believe the killer will strike again as he has achieved his goal.

He explained: "To that end his misplaced patriotism has worked. Today millions of government dollars have gone into research and anthrax antibiotics are now available to the public."

Prof Foster was given four letters recovered by investigators to analyse for clues to the killer's identity.

"As I worked through these documents it became apparent that USAMRIID was ultimately the best place for the FBI to begin looking for a suspect," he said.

All of the letters contain the following messages "Death to America" and "Death to Israel". All were dated 11 September, a clear reference to the terror attacks.

But while investigators searched for links between the anthrax attacks and al-Qaeda, Prof Foster immediately suspected that dating the letters 11 September was merely a ruse to throw the authorities off the scent.

He says: "When an offender gives you some piece of information that's just completely unnecessary and that, in this case, is inaccurate, it becomes immediately suspect.

"It becomes a statement of 'Here's what I want you to believe about this document'."

Prof Foster also says the killer seems to have tried implicating two former USAMRIID scientists who had left the laboratory in unhappy circumstances by posting the letters from near their homes in New Jersey.

He says only someone in contact with a senior insider at USAMRIID would have known how the two scientists left the lab and that they would then be likely targets for the FBI investigation.

LINK

Now for the rebuttal ...

Mark Mansfield said:
said the anthrax sent in letters to Senators Tom Daschle and Patrick Leahy "absolutely did not come from CIA labs".

LINK

Chuck Dasey said:
"You can't say it all came from USAMRIID."

Scientists at Fort Detrick use the liquid strain of anthrax in research, Mr Dasey said.

"The point is we don't have the technology to make that fine dry powder which was in the letters."

LINK

You should however notice they don't say "all" of the anthrax couldn't have come from their labs, but only that some of the anthrax couldn't have come from their labs.

Here's something from the BBC on what kind of fun stuff Fort Detrick has been up to from a historical point of view...

BBC said:
Fifty years ago, American scientists were in a frantic race to counter what they saw as the Soviet threat from germ warfare. Biological pathogens they developed were tested on volunteers from a pacifist church and were also released in public places.

LINK

Here is a link to the FBI's site showing the letters/envelopes, just for fun

FBI said:
It is highly probable, bordering on certainty, that all three letters were authored by the same person. Letters 1 and 2 are identical copies. Letter 3, however, contains a somewhat different message than the other letters. The Anthrax utilized in Letter 3 was much more refined, more potent, and more easily disbursed than letters 1 and 2.

LINK

Sigh...is it just me or does the FBI make the most horrible web pages for their "big" investigations.

Amerithrax [1]
Amerithrax [2]
Penttbom

It makes it so hard to take them seriously.

ENJOY !

ps

for kicks check out this link or just google : mysterious deaths of microbiologist

Back
Top Bottom