• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What would you think if Trump is impeached and convicted?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
If Trump is impeached and then convicted and put out of office, what would you think? Would you believe the evidence put forward by the investigations and thus it was the right thing to do? Would you think this is all a witch hunt and that it was nothing but a legal political coup?

If Trump is impeached and then convicted and put out of office, what would you think? Would you believe the evidence put forward by the investigations and thus it was the right thing to do? Would you think this is all a witch hunt and that it was nothing but a legal political coup?

I'd think Christmas came early.

But he won't be impeached. He'll finish his term, run for re-election, lose, and then be indicted for his corruption.

i try not to think about imaginary things that will never happen.

I would think it was amazing that congress critters managed to act in a largely unified, bipartisan manner and reached agreement on something.

I would think it was amazing that congress critters managed to act in a largely unified, bipartisan manner and reached agreement on something.

That is by far the very best answer anyone could come up with.

But he won't be impeached. He'll finish his term, run for re-election, lose, and then be indicted for his corruption.

A theory gaining some speed is that he'll resign ten minutes before the end of his first term and will be pardoned by Pence.

Given the reality that impeachment, conviction and removal from Office has very little to do with notions of justice...that is has everything to do with politics...if such a thing were to happen it could only be judged a "legal political coup".

He'll resign before being impeached.

Given the reality that impeachment, conviction and removal from Office has very little to do with notions of justice...that is has everything to do with politics...if such a thing were to happen it could only be judged a "legal political coup".

Given that impeachment is, but its very nature, a political action and not a legal one, the asinine claim that would amount to a 'legal coup' is just that: asinine.

That depends on the charges and the evidence.

The Senate is still controlled by Republicans, and it's the Senate who determines whether to remove Trump from office. House Democrats won't push for impeachment unless Trump's popularity crashes so badly that even Senate Republicans and Trump voters want him gone. That could happen, but it would require something incredibly illegal and unpopular, and is highly unlikely to happen.

Even in that case, I'm sure there will be lots of partisanship on both sides.

A theory gaining some speed is that he'll resign ten minutes before the end of his first term and will be pardoned by Pence.

I'm starting to think that that may not happen for one simple reason: Mueller has dirt on Pence, too.

Contrary to the opinion of the loud minority, neither Mueller nor Congressional Democrats are stupid. They're not going to leave Pence in position to pardon tRump for federal crimes.

I'm starting to think that that may not happen for one simple reason: Mueller has dirt on Pence, too.

Contrary to the opinion of the loud minority, neither Mueller nor Congressional Democrats are stupid. They're not going to leave Pence in position to pardon tRump for federal crimes.

I think you're attributing more motives to Mueller than we have any good reason to assume he has. It's not Mueller's place or mandate to "get Trump," so if he doesn't have prosecutable/impeachable dirt on Pence then that, quite simply, isn't his problem.

And I'm not saying that Pence is clean. Hardly. He was knowingly a party to an unregistered foreign agent being appointed to the role of National Security Adviser, and of course he knowingly lied about that. Is that dirty as hell? Absolutely. Is it impeachable? Not even close.

Given that impeachment is, but its very nature, a political action and not a legal one, the asinine claim that would amount to a 'legal coup' is just that: asinine.

I didn't say it would amount to a "legal coup". I used the OP's term: "legal political coup".

Absurd as always.

First, a political coup is illegal. Calling it a "legal political coup", is stupid, it's a contradiction. That's like saying "legal murder". No Mycroft, we have words for that, you don't get to make them up. We know you got that from right wing media, that stuff you swear you never read/listen to.

Second, an impeachment proceeding is the political equivalent of an indictment. The Senate hearing on impeachment, is analogous to a court/trial to hear the indictment, and render the verdict.
This is how the law works, it's how it's intended to work, and so it's termed a "successful impeachment". Not an oxymoronic "Legal Coup".

Third, there is no other practical remedy for a sitting president since DOJ cannot indict them, so this IS the best avenue for seeking partial justice for a criminal president. After removal from office, they are open to indictment, unless pardoned because that's really how justice is served...

I second this.

Absurd as always.

First, a political coup is illegal. Calling it a "legal political coup", is stupid, it's a contradiction. That's like saying "legal murder". No Mycroft, we have words for that, you don't get to make them up. We know you got that from right wing media, that stuff you swear you never read/listen to.

shrug...those were not my words. They came from the OP. Grouse at him if you don't like them.

~snipped the totally unnecessary "Captain Obvious" stuff~

The new congress creates a situation where a successful impeachment can only be done with broad support from both parties.

On that day I will salute congress for their bipartisanship, but I'm not over here standing at parade rest waiting for my chance.

And then 50 years from now there Chelsea Clinton and her hubby will be sitting at a piano singing

Boy the way Bob Mueller preyed

Pleas that made the hit parade.

Friends of Trump thought they had it made.

Those were the days.

A legal political coup is still a political coup.

I didn't say anything about a "political coup", either.

Why are you switching words around? Trying to find something special?

He won't be convicted but he will be impeached.
Impeaching Trump won't be seen as a legal maneuver as their real intent is political in nature. It's been their goal for the last two years...

And yes, I think the Democrats would be creating political suicide to go down this road. The senate will never convict and IMO, the people will agree that the Democrat's political maneuver to impeach Trump proved badly for the good of the country. Hey, it's their funeral.

To answer the thread question, there are two sides to the question of successfully removing him from office through impeachment (let's just pretend for the sake of argument that that would happen):

1. If your priority is justice, you won't like impeachment because the end result is that after he leaves office he would receive an immediate pardon from Pence. I have zero doubt that Trump has a quite a bit of dirt on Pence by now, and if Pence doesn't pardon him then Trump will be all to happy to air that dirt publicly.
2. If your priority is the welfare of the country then you'll like impeachment because at least he's out of office.

This is a difficult choice for many because, by now, the need for justice is nearly as great as the need for the country to be rid of an abomination at its helm.

By the way, even the two points above are probably meaningless because the roadmap for him to avoid justice and impeachment is so clearly illustrated that he may as well be above the law, which leaves a third angle to the question:

3. Impeachment should be done anyway because it clarifies our values just by trying to remove somebody we consider to be an abomination. By not even making the effort we're making a statement about our values, and that statement isn't good.

Last edited:
Well, if he is removed from office by a Republican Senate then that would likely mean the evidence is overwhelming.

Back
Top Bottom