• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What would you take: A billion dollars or true love?

What would you choose between if you were given the choice?

• True love

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • A billion dollars

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters
A billion dollars. People fall out of "true love" all of the time due to the fact that people change. It reminds me of a joke.

What is the difference between herpes and love?

Herpes lasts forever.

Are they mutually exclusive? That is, if I take the billion dollars from the genie, is it assumed I'll never find true love on my own? And if I pick true love, is it assumed I'll never earn a billion dollars on my own?

Or.... what if I already have found "true love"?
Could I still get the billion and keep my true love?

Kandahar said:
Are they mutually exclusive? That is, if I take the billion dollars from the genie, is it assumed I'll never find true love on my own? And if I pick true love, is it assumed I'll never earn a billion dollars on my own?

Good point. And what if you already have one of the two? Say you have "true love" and choose the billion dollars....does your "true love" disappear? Or vice versa? :doh

What good is a billion dollars without someone to share it with. I have never been good at getting the girl, but money I have a pretty good grasp over, so I would have to go with true love, although a billion can sure lead to alot of temporary love(get your mind's out of the gutters already, I don't mean a prostitute) ;) .

LaMidRighter said:
What good is a billion dollars without someone to share it with. I have never been good at getting the girl, but money I have a pretty good grasp over, so I would have to go with true love, although a billion can sure lead to alot of temporary love(get your mind's out of the gutters already, I don't mean a prostitute) ;) .

Nope... You mean a gold digger!!

George_Washington said:
Suppose you like uh, ran across a genie or something. Say he offered you either a billion dollars or true love.

What would you take and why? Please explain your answer thoroughly.

I would go with the billion dollars.I can always get me a nice trophy wife and sucker her into signing a prenuptial agreement if I was a billionaire.Plus as others have pointed out love fades and I grew up dirt poor.

Great..now I have Kanye West in my head....:roll:
I have been in love, am in love, am in lust, etc....but voting was/is hard, I may have to get back to it.
A billion dollars would do a lot of good-I could buy a LOT of Amazon forest with that, for instance, and still have some left over to do so much more...but I've never been greedy with money, maybe because I never had much to begin with. But I am greedy about love.
Then there's the 'would money change me' factor. Or more to the point, would it change those around me?
OK. Taking the idea that certain emotional issues would remain the same(as I certainly do not want to change those), I guess I could reluctantly take the billion :)

Kandahar said:

Assume you can choose either one at a particular time. You could earn the billion dollars on your own but it's hard to do. First you'd have to find a career lucrative enough to generate that amount of income. And then it's just really tough. But then again, so is finding a soul mate.

George_Washington said:
Assume you can choose either one at a particular time. You could earn the billion dollars on your own but it's hard to do. First you'd have to find a career lucrative enough to generate that amount of income. And then it's just really tough. But then again, so is finding a soul mate.

OK, if I'm allowed to later find the other on my own, I guess I'll take the billion dollars from the genie. Having a billion dollars would make it considerably easier to find love, whereas having love wouldn't necessarily make it easier to earn a billion dollars.

Kandahar said:
OK, if I'm allowed to later find the other on my own, I guess I'll take the billion dollars from the genie. Having a billion dollars would make it considerably easier to find love, whereas having love wouldn't necessarily make it easier to earn a billion dollars.

Ok but what if you did have a billion dollars. You found your true love but she was with some other guy. What would you do then? Would you try to, "buy" her away like Robert Redford did in Indecent Proposal?

George_Washington said:
Ok but what if you did have a billion dollars. You found your true love but she was with some other guy. What would you do then? Would you try to, "buy" her away like Robert Redford did in Indecent Proposal?

Nah, a billion dollars would help to find love through more indirect methods. No actual "buying" would be necessary...most chicks are just more attracted to guys with money.

If she was with someone else...I guess it would depend how well I knew the guy. If he was a friend I wouldn't go after his woman.

George_Washington said:
That is an interesting point. Girls do like men who seem to have money, I think that's very true. I think they like men who basically just seem confident in themselves.

Girls like men with money because they are better able to provide financial stability and security for a family.

I voted for the billion dollars, because I already have true love :mrgreen:

I wouldn't ask for either one. I have true love, so don't need it from a genie -- and wouldn't trust it if I got for it by wishing, anyway. I wouldn't want a billion because it's too much; I have ambitions and goals, and if I had a billion, would I really still have the motivation to try to attain my goals? or would I just buy a solid gold house and a rocket car, and then tour the world in my yacht while simultaneously playing video games and eating filet mignon? I might take a million from a genie, as that would give me the opportunity to quit my job and work on my real goals, without making me totally indolent.

Seriously, haven't any of you read "The Monkey's Paw?" You just can't trust wishes.

If no strings attached, then accept the billion $$$$$$$$$$.
Give 99 % away to something really worthwhile (an educational trust).
Any decent woman will naturally fall for a man of this quality and become his true love....if he disperses the money as an act of doing the right thing, NOT to win her love...

galenrox said:
Wait, in taking the billion dollars, is that operating under the assumption that you'll never find true love, or just the genie won't give it to you?

Cause if it's just the genie wouldn't give me true love, I'd take the billion dollars, because I can find true love on my own, while my chances of finding a billion dollars are slim to none.

*lifts a rock* Holy **** a Billion Dollars!!!!!!!

Caine said:
*lifts a rock* Holy **** a Billion Dollars!!!!!!!
You're right; finding a genie who will offer you a single, either-or wish is much more likely.:lol:

And all you people who say finding true love is easier than earning a billion dollars, do not know what true love is. The beauty of it is that, unlike money, nobody can touch it but you and your love; nobody can take a piece of it, nobody wants it, nobody can screw it up but you two, all by yourselves.
Of course, that means you need to earn it, over and over again, every day, unlike the billion. I suppose, though, I should clarify: finding true love may be easier than finding the billion, but keeping true love is a hell of a lot harder.

Still don't think you should take either one though; love and money should both be earned, or else they'll be lost.

Well, lets say I'm a polygamist....

Do I get to find 'true love' with multiple women?

galenrox said:
I beg to differ. I have found true love, and I'm still searching for a billion dollars.

That's so sweet galen, congratulations!:2wave:

Where did you meet him?

Take the billion.

Both are best earned, but love is more fun to earn and more fun to keep.

Back
Top Bottom