• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What would you rather have on your property?

What would your rather have on your property

• An oil pipeline(not a well, just the pipeline).

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Solar Panels

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • A windmill

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters
yeah. We just bought a house in MI for my parents and I was shocked that solar is not permitted in nearly all of Oakland county... the HOAs uniformly prohibit it. It was very frustrating... so backwards.

I bet anything that's going to fall by the wayside soon. Just a gut feeling.

I bet anything that's going to fall by the wayside soon. Just a gut feeling.

Me too. We purchased anyway expecting that in a year or two it’ll change. It’s just not lost on me that I will have to drive the change for this particular subdivision.

Not if you're disabled, that goes against the ADA, and I've witnessed dozens of battles and the HOA has to back down every time.
Battles over handrails, wheelchair ramps, etc.
Sometimes a law firm has to slap them but far as I know, if you have ANY kind of disability they HAVE to allow you your accommodations.

i just asked my wife. no exceptions unless everyone puts one in. probably wouldn't hold up in court.

those steps are epic, too. more like a concrete staircase up a little landscaped hill. i went ass over elbows down them once when taking out the dog, who looks more like a wolf. luckily, i'm still young enough (barely) that it ended up being scraped palms and a funny story. i salt the shit out of them now and take the dogs out the back garage.

My wife's family have farmland and have experienced two of the options above. First, they put a pipeline through their land. They paid them a fee of $10,000 an acre for the right to bury the pipeline on their land. This was actually more than the land was selling for and they did not lose control of their property. The pipeline people carefully moved the topsoil before digging the trench and replaced it back on top when finished. They saved all the artifacts they found (mostly arrow heads) and gave them to the land owners. After they left other than the flags marking the right of way, you couldn't tell they had been there. After they left the land was fully functional farm land again.

They have also been approached about leasing land to erect wind turbines. They passed on this because of the bad experience their neighbor had. The wind turbine is over a quarter mile from their home but it emits and annoying monotonous sound that drives them crazy. Although the turbine blades appear to be moving slowly, they are actually traveling at 110 mph at the tips. This has resulted in the deaths of hundreds of birds. I would suspect a solar farm would be much the same. You could not have any trees around them and the land they are on can not be used for any other purpose.

The pipeline is easily the best option for land owners.

Old designs for wind turbines have this noise issue. New ones do not AND painting one blade black reduces bird deaths by 70% (iirc).

I've heard that the oil company will pay you to let them have a pipeline go through your property. But what are we comparing? Are you saying your property would be filled with a giant solar panel farm or a bunch of massive windmills? If that's the case, I'd still go with the pipeline, even without the month. I mean...if we are going to compare like things we have to compare like things. So you can't compare a pipeline with a personal solar panel system on my house.

In Canada it depends.

They have to pay rent in certain circumstances. Access roads to any building, pumping stations, shunts etc. Basically any part of your land that can not be used for farming because the pipeline or associated equipment are on your land. During construction they have to compensate you as well and return the land to as before condition. But once it is buried and no longer interfering in farming or ranching they don't owe the property owner anything (unless a spill occurs)

It was more lucrative to have oil or gas wells on your land as far more land was being used (mineral rights belong to the province here) so more rent. Often the oil company would hire farmers to look after the wells on their land as well. Now however, there are a lot of abandoned wells that need capping and the company went "bankrupt" so the province has to pay for it

An oil pipeline(not an oil well, just the pipeline).
Solar Panels
or a windmill

I've seen a lot of idiots bitching about the Keystone Pipeline being canceled. I saw some stupid somber video of pipeline workers being out of work now.
I recommended that we put them to work building solar panels and windmills instead. For some reason they didn't like that. As if somehow jobs only
count as jobs if they destroy the environment.
Soon, very soon! You‘ve Made more enemies than PM XI in just three days. I can’t waite for next week.

Solar Panels
or a windmill

I've seen a lot of idiots bitching about the Keystone Pipeline being canceled. I saw some stupid somber video of pipeline workers being out of work now.
I recommended that we put them to work building solar panels and windmills instead. For some reason they didn't like that. As if somehow jobs only
Pipeline good chance is buried and I don't have to look at it.

Solar Panels
or a windmill

US refineries will import the oil - they upgraded a long time ago for heavy crude

Solar Panels
or a windmill

Why the non-equitable options? An oil pipeline is more analogous to power lines than energy generators.

An oil pipeline, as long as it's underground.

An oil pipeline, because $$$ in rent.
So would windmill owners. You can own your own solar panels...or lease out a solar farm. If it's yours, you sell the power.

Wake the hell up, pipeline jobs are not the only ones at stake down the road. Here is a partial list of some 6000 products made from oil. After you read it tell me how Solar Panels and Wind Mills are going to take the place of oil.
No! Not another person that thinks we have to use one energy source, period? Noooooo! Come on! Be serious.

*sigh* For every alternate source of energy we use, esp for heating and electric, the less oil we need and there will be plenty left for heavy transportation and manufacturing. And the cleaner our environment will be. Alternatives dont have to 'take the place of oil' :rolleyes:

Come on people!

Dang I didn't even think of that. I would like to change my answer back.

They don’t normally pay rent. Usually it is a one time payment for the easement on your land. Rent would only be paid if for above ground structures that prevent usage of that land, if building, pump stations or roads. Wind farms would pay rent annually as they do restrict land usage

Solar Panels
or a windmill

How much energy will a solar panel or a windmill produce on your piece of property, compared to the millions of gallons of fuel which will pass over your property through a pipeline?

What is the left's constant fear over fossil fuels all about? It is natural, it comes from the Planet, the Planet doesn't mind--- use it.

Solar panels don't help where there is cloud cover. They are less productive in areas of the globe with shorter days or longer winters.

Alrighty. How much are we talking?
Not sure and I expect it varies depending on the land quality

Not likely to get rich over it, but have a nice bonus for the year

How many solar panels would you need to equal the amount of energy going through a pipeline?

I have solar panels. Roof. Out of sight, out of mind.

The power I do not use feeds into the grid and helps power others. Lower energy bill. If I need more, the house simply automatically pulls it, such as during Christmas time when I get totally obnoxious with all of my trees.

What's your point?
Just to make a fair comparison. Sounds like we're comparing a huge plot of land, a small portion of which has a pipeline on it, to a huge plot of land clear-cut and devoid of life covered in solar panels. I'd take the former. But that's just me - I like nature and being outdoors.

anyone that voted for solar panels on their property must never have seen any

They are the ultimate eyesore.

My town took to very tight zoning after some early monstrosities in town made the zoning need obvious.
Solar Panels ARE an eyesore.

Our HOA flatly prohibits them.

A few homeowners appealed to the Board for variance, but thankfully were denied.

Back
Top Bottom