• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What would you rather have, a border wall or a major infrastructure program?

Which is more important to you?

• Total voters
Both Actually.....but I would prefer a digital frontier rather than a physical wall running the entire border....a "smart wall" if you wish.

maxresdefault.jpg

And I think the most effective "walls" are the ones that make penalties for employers so harsh they will go above and beyond to ensure those they hire have the legal right to work in our nation.

No brainer, though 5.7B doesn't buy too much infrastructure.

5.7 billion won't get you much of a wall either. It's a scam, they haven't even done the environmental impact studies yet.

Much of our infrastructure is in-state and the money is apportioned to the states, with the states deciding on what 'projects' are done.

Yes.... but what we are discussing is a national infrastructure initiative. A supercharged investment in America. The Federal Highway system is an example of this being done in the past.

Can't afford $5 billion but do have an extra $1 trillion?

5.7 billion won't get you much of a wall either. It's a scam, they haven't even done the environmental impact studies yet.

Of course its a scam. Its just an opportunity to Trump to take center stage and fit for his uneducated base that somehow $5.7B is the difference between rape and pillage or the boogeyman well contained south of the border. Interesting that people that live along the border are among the biggest opponents of this wall.

This is a made up issue.

Would you rather have a wall or a lot money put into roads, airports, bridges, public transport and so on?

I know technically you could have both, I am just asking you to pick the one that is more important to you.

Wow

The results reflect Americans opinion on the Wall. A firm no !!

How about both.

For the price of one carrier and a few fighter planes, we have all the money we need for both of them.

How about both.

How about no. Trump had his chance for both 2016-2018.

Border security is of course necessary. Trumps vanity wall campaign promise to his base, not so much. Get it from Mexico.

Both Actually.....but I would prefer a digital frontier rather than a physical wall running the entire border....a "smart wall" if you wish.

View attachment 67248510

And I think the most effective "walls" are the ones that make penalties for employers so harsh they will go above and beyond to ensure those they hire have the legal right to work in our nation.

We have that now. Its just not enforced.

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-libr...-for-employers-hiring-illegal-immigrants.html

Those that hate those south of the border don't like watching the "job creators" pay the price (even though they are guilty of exploitation). Instead, they prefer to watch the brown people rounded up, put in hand cuffs, separated from their families (yeah, family values) put on a bus and left in the desert on the other side of this grand wall, even if such people had previously never even been to Mexico. If they die in the desert, so be it. If they die at the hands of gangs in their native lawless countries, so be it. Its their fault for coming to America.

This whole "issue" (its really an issue of 10 years ago) is a reflection of American ignorance and a growing sickness (bigotry, hate) in our society. We all should be ashamed.

What does Matthew 25 say about such things? Oh yeah, this:

40. “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’[/I]

Last edited:
Really this is a poorly constructed poll. Its like asking if you would rather have peanut butter or jelly on your PBnJ sandwich. There is no reason we cannot have both. We have lots of expenses in this country and we manage to fund them all. The current question about a border wall is all politics. The democrats have voted numerous times during the last 2-3 administrations to fund wall, fences, barriers, whichever you prefer and for 10's of billions of dollars. In excess of 40 billion combined. So why now is is immoral? The dems say is wasting money, LOL, Congress always waste money. They cannot manage funds because they spend it like its someone else's money, oh yeah it is. The dems say we should rely on the opinions of the "experts" to tell us what we need. The experts would be the agents who deal with the border. They say a wall definately helps them with their job. Dems do not ask them.

We have areas where there is a wall and by all statistics it helps with illegal immigration and with transportation of illegal drugs and human trafficking. More wall along strategically selected locations combined with more agents, (which a wall will help free up agents for other tasks) and more technology is the best solution to restrict the illegal immigration and transporting of illegal goods.
A drone cannot apprehend anyone. By the time you get an officer to where the illegal crossing took place, the person or persons are long gone. The wall slows done all illegal activity and allows officers to get to the location to take appropriate action. 5$ billion is a drop in the bucket of the national budget.

Dems just are playing politics. They want to win in 2020 so badly that they will not agree to anything the President wants if it will appear to give him a "win" that would help him win reelection. It's a fact and they say as much all the time, said they would oppose all Trump promises when he was elected. Democrats change stances with the changing of the wind. They all voted for walls in the past but now its immoral. LOL! Democrat supporters need to wake up. Democrat leaders will ruin this country for the sake of maintaining political power. Failure to control our border, the willingness to give away Trillions of $ in health care and college tuitions and shift to alternative energy sources are all things we cannot afford to pay for, they don't answer the questions of how we pay except to raise taxes on the rich. The rich already pay the bulk of taxes, they drive the jobs market and they help provide a strong economy. You think they will continue the growth we see if you take all their money? In addition, exactly who are the "rich" in the eyes of the dems, they never say exactly who will be taxed and how much when asked.

i am a democrat i want border security..... we all want border security... Trump tell you we dont so you automatically believe it. obama sent back more people across the border than any president because of improved technology.. Trump will never let you know this ....we know that it is better to hire more agents and use technical electronic devices to catch illegal entry. than a wall / monument that people can put a ladder up to or dig under... it is not cost effective ......... dont take a rocket scientist to know this!!!! By the way fixing the bridges and roads !!!obama wanted to do that to stimulate growth in this country the repubs shut that down big time!!!!!

Would you rather have a wall or a lot money put into roads, airports, bridges, public transport and so on?

I know technically you could have both, I am just asking you to pick the one that is more important to you.

wow thats not even a contest especially if its JUST a wall.

while its not exactly fair to compare our infrastructure to other first world countries because of our size we are WAY behind in many areas. I would take upgrading our mass and small scale transit and communications networks over a wall everyday and twice on sunday!

No brainer, though 5.7B doesn't buy too much infrastructure.

If Trump were smart, and he is not, he would pivot toward infrastructure right now. Settle on the budget, defer the action on the wall by bundling into comprehensive immigration reform and start talking infrastructure.

His very slim prospects of re-election are evaporating by his doubling down on the wall, which might excite the base, but is alienating everyone else. A base of 35-40% ain't enough to win, especially when 57% of the country says they won't vote for you.

Infrastructure gives Trump a ray of hope that he can broaden is base. He has a faint hope of actually showing leadership, which the country surely wants and needs. Moreover, talking infrastructure would engage Democrats, leaving them less time to investigate and less motivation to impeach. It would be uniting rather than dividing.

Of course, I am talking nonsense as Trump's presidency to date has been nothing but nonsense.

The problem is that Trumps idea of an infrastructure program is mostly huge tax breaks for paving companies.

The Trump plan is essentially a tax break for private investment in infrastructure. The criticism generally follows two themes: 1) that it is a privatization scheme and 2) that mere tax breaks won’t create much new infrastructure since most civil infrastructure in the United States isn’t revenue producing and so is unsuitable for private investment which requires, by definition, a return on investment.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelmoser/2016/11/27/how-to-fix-the-trump-infrastructure-plan/#2511a7ea70f1

So please explain how drones and technology are going to apprehend illegal immigrants trying to cross the border at other than ports of entry? There are places along the border where an illegal immigrant can cross from Mexico into the US in less than a minute, get in a waiting auto and drive away. The wall would prevent this type of easy entry and allow officers to proceed to the point of attempted entry. Nobody says a wall will stop all entry and nobody says you don't still need more technology and manpower to apprehend illegals and drugs ans such. Only dems believe the crap about Walls being immoral and not helping. By the way how do you explain the dems, Clinton, Pelosi, Shumer, and many others voting for wall funding over the past two administrations? You know it didn't help. Except everywhere they were built. Stats show crime dropped dramatically and illegal entry slowed at those places. Ask a border patrol agent.

Back
Top Bottom