• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What would you do?

HumanBeing

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Imagine you were sexually abused during your early teens by someone who works as an osteopath, and he gets convicted. Then 15 years later, you're all grown up, you're surfing the web one day, and you happen to find out that the guy who did it ended up moving to Costa Del Sol and starting up his own clinic. For all you know, he could have a day full of appointments with 13 year old boys booked for tomorrow.

What do you do?

Imagine you were sexually abused during your early teens by someone who works as an osteopath, and he gets convicted. Then 15 years later, you're all grown up, you're surfing the web one day, and you happen to find out that the guy who did it ended up moving to Costa Del Sol and starting up his own clinic. For all you know, he could have a day full of appointments with 13 year old boys booked for tomorrow.

What do you do?

What can you do? If he was convicted and summarily sent to prison, one would assume he's done his time, so to speak?

Do they have a registered sex offenders program there? I'm ignorant of the laws where he's located now.

What can you do? If he was convicted and summarily sent to prison, one would assume he's done his time, so to speak?

Do they have a registered sex offenders program there? I'm ignorant of the laws where he's located now.

He's from England, and that's where it happened and where he was convicted. He received a two year suspended prison sentence (for a crime that would now get him a much longer guaranteed prison term), and was placed on the sex offender's register for ten years. As far as I'm aware, it will be part of his criminal record for life.

Ideally what I'd like to do is make sure that the people he is treating are aware of his criminal background. If you'd booked an appointment for your teenage son to see an osteopath who was a convicted child molester, you'd probably want to know about it, no?

He's from England, and that's where it happened and where he was convicted. He received a two year suspended prison sentence (for a crime that would now get him a much longer guaranteed prison term), and was placed on the sex offender's register for ten years. As far as I'm aware, it will be part of his criminal record for life.

Ideally what I'd like to do is make sure that the people he is treating are aware of his criminal background. If you'd booked an appointment for your teenage son to see an osteopath who was a convicted child molester, you'd probably want to know about it, no?

I would. However, I do not think that here in the states a person convicted of child molestation can be in a business of any kind where they had the chance to re-offend. The sentence for this person, sounds extremely lenient...why is that??

What do you do?

I would see what happened when I Googled his name. If his history showed up, I would forget about it and be happy. If, when I Googled, nothing came up? I would forget about it. And be happy.

If I couldn't be happy? I'd get counseling. I would not waste one more second fretting about this guy. If I did? He would win. Again.

I would. However, I do not think that here in the states a person convicted of child molestation can be in a business of any kind where they had the chance to re-offend. The sentence for this person, sounds extremely lenient...why is that??

He's not allowed to be in business, that's why he left the UK. I don't know whether his conviction means he isn't allowed to be in business in Spain. The sentence was part of a deal where he admitted to a single case of sexual assault so that his victim wouldn't have to go through the ordeal of a full trial to pursue more serious charges. The victim didn't have any say in that, the decision was made by his parents.

MaggieD said:
I would see what happened when I Googled his name. If his history showed up, I would forget about it and be happy. If, when I Googled, nothing came up? I would forget about it. And be happy.
How about if you googled his name and all that came up were his website, contact number, email address, the location of his clinic, and a bunch of adverts for his services?

MaggieD said:
If I did? He would win. Again.

If you did nothing and it turned out he was doing exactly the same thing to other little boys, who would you say wins?

If you did nothing and it turned out he was doing exactly the same thing to other little boys, who would you say wins?

You could do this: Get police reports, conviction information and anything else you might be able to dig up that was factual. Send it anonymously to the editor of the largest newspaper closest to where he's practicing...along with a note that says:

This doctor is practicing in your community. I just thought the community should know.

And then be happy.

You could do this: Get police reports, conviction information and anything else you might be able to dig up that was factual. Send it anonymously to the editor of the largest newspaper closest to where he's practicing...along with a note that says:

And then be happy.

Sounds like wise advice. Thank you.

And then be happy.

This is a good idea. At least get it out there on the net so when someone DOES google him the information comes up.

What do you do?

That's a strange practice to use as an example.

But what do you do? Contact his local police department and bring up the issue. In no state is it legal for a person convicted of child-molestation or rape to be in contact with children in the future. If this happens - it's because they kept it a secret and/or someone wasn't paying attention when they hired them/gave them a license for a business.

Even if it's holistic/alternative medicine there's no real reason for parents not to be involved in everything that goes on at the Drs office.

That's a strange practice to use as an example.

But what do you do? Contact his local police department and bring up the issue. In no state is it legal for a person convicted of child-molestation or rape to be in contact with children in the future. If this happens - it's because they kept it a secret and/or someone wasn't paying attention when they hired them/gave them a license for a business.

Even if it's holistic/alternative medicine there's no real reason for parents not to be involved in everything that goes on at the Drs office.

He lives and practices in Spain.

Heh - then odds are I'm not accidentally wandering across his whereabouts on the net. LOL

Maybe childhood sex assault victims hold grudges and do a little research from time to time, hoping to hear that the guy killed himself or something. He kept zero online presence for 15 years, the site for his business there was only registered last year, though evidently he left the registration details public.

What do you do?

I don't know why any country would allow one someone to operate a business or work for a business that has anything to do with children without checking them out first. It's pretty well known that child molesters will gravity towards any career that gives them easy access to children.

What do you do?
You cannot control what a state or another human does. You can make the state aware of his history, and you can make the locality aware of his presence and history. I agree with Maggie's wise words. Do that, and get on with your life. I do not want to think you would let this guy have any more control over you now. You have better things to do in life than that.

I'm sorry, but I hate to say that I am in disagreement with most of the responses here. This isn't about getting on with your life. You've done so. However, all of a sudden, you find out that this person is about to be in a position to be around children again, and you are worried. Good for you. Child molesters have an extremely high recidivism rate, so chances are if he's done it once, he'll do it again. The job of an osteopath seems to be extremely hands-on, so this is just a recipe for disaster.

I would call whomever in Spain is the governing agency for osteopaths. Like here in the States, we have the AMA that we could report a doctor to if they are using unethical practices. Everybody needs to know about this guy. Sounds like you have a big heart. I did like Maggie's advice to call the newspaper. Try them first and ask them who you might call to report this guy. But if they don't help, I'd go further. Were it me in that situation, I would not rest until I knew that this guy couldn't get his mitts on another child.

Back
Top Bottom