• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What would you differently it fight radicalIslam?

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
If you were the POTUS, what might you do to try to put an end to this crap? This begins to remind me of Vietnam Nam . . Are we trying to win? Are we fulfilling our responsibilities as a super power?

Thoughts?

First off, we don't have any responsibilities as a super power. Nobody elected us king of the world. POTUS is responsible to and for America, not Planet Earth. People need to get that through their heads. Secondly, the only thing that we as a nation can do is try to keep this religious insanity from affecting this nation. We can't go flying our flag a round the world, pretending everyone needs to do what we say for truth, justice and the American way. If someone wants to scream ALLAHU AKBAR and blow up France, that's France's problem for allowing crazy radicals into their country. We can help if asked, but it's their fight, not ours. That said though, if someone comes here and causes some crap, there ought to be nowhere on the planet that they can hide before we rain down holy hell on them and their entire organization. The only thing a terrorist attack on America ought to bring is an instant death sentence on the attackers, everyone they know and everyone they love. I don't care who likes us because of it. I don't care who hates us because of it. Actions need to have consequences and those consequences need to be dire. If you don't want said consequences, keep your fanatical religious bulls**t out of our country.

After 9/11, permission or not, I'd have gone into Pakistan and set up a command post in Peshawar. My base in Afghanistan would have been Kabul. There would have been a line drawn between those two places and everything north of that line would have been US territory until we'd turned over very rock in the place. When we turned the place back over the streets would have been cleaned and people in the area would know how to say "please", "thank you", and "the dirtball is right over there".

After 9/11, permission or not, I'd have gone into Pakistan and set up a command post in Peshawar. My base in Afghanistan would have been Kabul. There would have been a line drawn between those two places and everything north of that line would have been US territory until we'd turned over very rock in the place. When we turned the place back over the streets would have been cleaned and people in the area would know how to say "please", "thank you", and "the dirtball is right over there".

Where exactly would you get that manpower?

First thing I would do as POTUS would be to use my bully pulpit to pressure DP into letting Maggie fix this ate up thread title. ;)

The war on terror is a conflict perpetuated by our foreign policy. If I was POTUS I would withdraw all our troops from overseas and stop meddling in other countries' affairs- no military support for anyone. It would give radical Islamists no reason to attack us. Neutral countries dont get attacked by foreign terrorists.

The war on terror is a conflict perpetuated by our foreign policy. If I was POTUS I would withdraw all our troops from overseas and stop meddling in other countries' affairs- no military support for anyone. It would give radical Islamists no reason to attack us. Neutral countries dont get attacked by foreign terrorists.

Here, there, nowhere - it makes no difference - that is nothing but a talking point used by those that are isolationists, or anti-oil, or ant-war, or just anti... They need no reason other than we exist, we are infidels, and they truly believe that it is their holy duty to slay us in the name of Allah as foretold and decreed by Mohamad. Do we honestly believe that the blood spilled by both sides can just be forgotten? We cannot just turn our backs and leave the field of battle while they continue to attack us, because our own streets, and those of our allies, are where the battle is taking place, as we saw tonight in Nice, France, and all the other examples I shouldn't have to list.

This war, in their minds, has been raging since the lifetime of the Holy Prophet Mohammad in the 7th Century, and became an eternal battle when the Kingdom of Jerusalem was established in the Southern Levant (see why the Obama White House calls them ISIL) in the last year of the 11th Century (1099) following the first Christian Crusade.

We can't erase almost 14 centuries of cultural hatred, attempts at genocide, crimes against humanity in the name of religious beliefs, and spilled blood, by and for both sides, by just packing our crap up and leaving.

We have to fight the ignorance, and the hatred with the truth and understanding, and we have to fight their armies, their insurgents, their leadership, and their capability to harm us with hot steel, high explosives, and an ever present and unyielding resolve - none of which we have done, with very few exceptions, since 9/11/2001. Our rules of engagement have tied both hands behind the military's back - except for General Petraeus and his "surge" which untied and took at least one glove off of one hand for a short period of time, but still wasn't enough/ Allow the military to do their job, the way they know they can win.

We must do what we did in WWII in the Pacific - identify the enemy and how he threatens us, strengthen our weaknesses, locate the enemy where he lies, destroy him unrelentingly, and then destroy his ability to make war on us EVER AGAIN.

Just my humble opinion.

This is perhaps one of the most naive posts ever. You act like terrorist have a legitimate reason to attack us or that they wouldn't make up a reason to, like the using those who draw and make fun of Muhammed or Islam. Not to mention that muslim terrorism has existed since the 7th century long before American foreign policy.

Well:
Since we helped create the ISIS mess then we do whatever it takes to exterminate as many as possible and ensure that they have no land in their possession.
Then pull out every troop from every ME country and let them sort out their own issues, no funding of "Freedom Fighters" no plots or coups, Their Problem leave them to it.
Stay out of other peoples business/countries unless attacked by those countries. In my book we did it all wrong when it came to Afghanistan and Iraq. Afghanistan was a valid invasion, with the help of their government we were attack, meaning we were at war, should have done in done our business as quickly as possible and then left. We had no business in Iraq, it had nothing to actually do with the war on terror but Dubya wanted that war and he got it, either through lies or ineptitude, really does not matter. Saddam was our boy, even when he was gassing the Kurds, he was our tool against Iran, too bad Dubya did not listen to Dad, he was smart enough to not get us into Iraq, as we see ad was right. The rest of the mess we had no reason to be getting involved with an Obama has only made things worse. Maybe the next President will learn from the lessons of the past, or not.

When Japan hit Pearl Harbor, we hit back at Hiroshima.
I'd pull all military out of the ME and nuke the **** out of Mecca.
Then I would send every refugee that came here UNvetted, that was between the age of 18 and 60 that are males, and send them back from whence they came.
I would build a very tall wall that would make the great wall of china look like a popsicle fence.
Anyone wanting to come to the USA has to be processed...which will take MONTHS. They can frigging wait while they are super vetted before allowed in.
Then I would concentrate on us. Americans. Home. Rebuild our military to the max.

I'm kinda peeved right now. I might wish I never said that. Then again, maybe I will be good with it.

first off, we don't have any responsibilities as a super power. Nobody elected us king of the world. Potus is responsible to and for america, not planet earth. People need to get that through their heads. Secondly, the only thing that we as a nation can do is try to keep this religious insanity from affecting this nation. We can't go flying our flag a round the world, pretending everyone needs to do what we say for truth, justice and the american way. If someone wants to scream allahu akbar and blow up france, that's france's problem for allowing crazy radicals into their country. We can help if asked, but it's their fight, not ours. That said though, if someone comes here and causes some crap, there ought to be nowhere on the planet that they can hide before we rain down holy hell on them and their entire organization. The only thing a terrorist attack on america ought to bring is an instant death sentence on the attackers, everyone they know and everyone they love. I don't care who likes us because of it. I don't care who hates us because of it. Actions need to have consequences and those consequences need to be dire. If you don't want said consequences, keep your fanatical religious bulls**t out of our country.

this!!! ^

This is perhaps one of the most naive posts ever. You act like terrorist have a legitimate reason to attack us or that they wouldn't make up a reason to, like the using those who draw and make fun of Muhammed or Islam. Not to mention that muslim terrorism has existed since the 7th century long before American foreign policy.

Bzzt. The fact speaks for itself. Youre trying to draw a parallel between the wars of conquest in ancient times with modern day terrorism, which is just silly. Switzerland has not been attacked by radical Islamists. Why? Because the Swiss arent messing around in places where they dont belong.

I think we need to do more to stop ISIS and Al Qaeda propaganda on the internet and stop supplying the Saudi's with arms and military equipment and start holding them to account for spreading their disease of a religion.

If you were the POTUS, what might you do to try to put an end to this crap? This begins to remind me of Vietnam Nam . . Are we trying to win? Are we fulfilling our responsibilities as a super power?

Thoughts?

Just like Vietnam we could just nuke the place only that would make us monsters worse than Hitler so.................I think we are doing the best we can. It is not something that can be ended overnight, it will take decades.

Last edited:
Bzzt. The fact speaks for itself. Youre trying to draw a parallel between the wars of conquest in ancient times with modern day terrorism, which is just silly. Switzerland has not been attacked by radical Islamists. Why? Because the Swiss arent messing around in places where they dont belong.

Swiss officials said they had information of a possible planned attack on the city of Geneva. The country's public prosecutor said it was hunting suspects linked to groups such as al Qaeda and ISIS.

Americans Told to Be Vigilant After Terror Alert in Switzerland - NBC News

There is the close fight and there is the deep fight. The close fight - eliminating already existent terrorist threats - we are good at. The deep fight - preventing the generation of more terrorist threats - not so much. Ultimately the deep fight will be won by enlightenment-esque societal reforms in the Muslim world brought about by the slow trickle of education and economic development. To individuals who take their Islam less seriously/literally and who are more content with their lot in life the prospect of taking up violent religious extremism is no longer very appealing. Unfortunately this is happening at a snail's pace and there is little we can do directly to accelerate it. Helping sort out messes that are counter-productive to this end like the war in Syria are about the best we can reach for.

Spend just as much money rebuilding the ME as it took to knock it down. Create jobs and stable economies through rebuilding cities and towns, reestablishing agriculture, and building new infrastructure. Establish, from the ground up, dedicated anti-terror forces of locals, who police their own homes for terrorists. And keep a very firm hand on corruption.

Basically, how Charlie Wilson's War should've ended.

Let me know WHEN an attack actually occurs, okay?

The point being that your assumption was proven false, despite switzerland foreign policy ISIS still wants to attack them. You can't polish that turd no matter how much you try.

The point being that your assumption was proven false, despite switzerland foreign policy ISIS still wants to attack them. You can't polish that turd no matter how much you try.

The only point youve made is your terrible reading comprehension. Again I ask: where is the Islamic terror attacks against neutral countries like Switzerland?

Thoughts?

There are 1.6 billion Muslims. The only sensible answer I could give is that the problem has to be dealt with initially by the Muslim leadership, with hands on assistance from Muslim citizens, local police, federal/national police, and troops when needed. The governments around the world also need to be more proactive, and provide a better transfer of information for locating, and stamping out immediate hotspots.

Spend just as much money rebuilding the ME as it took to knock it down. Create jobs and stable economies through rebuilding cities and towns, reestablishing agriculture, and building new infrastructure. Establish, from the ground up, dedicated anti-terror forces of locals, who police their own homes for terrorists. And keep a very firm hand on corruption.

Basically, how Charlie Wilson's War should've ended.

We cannot even do it in this country, what makes you think we could do it in the ME. Since when are we the Sugar Daddy for the ME, we cannot afford it, nor should we do it.

We cannot even do it in this country, what makes you think we could do it in the ME. Since when are we the Sugar Daddy for the ME, we cannot afford it, nor should we do it.

Then the US shouldn't have spent billions blowing **** up. :shrug: If you tear a place down, and then whine about the consequences, you should build it back up. A Marshall Plan for the Middle East would do a hell of a lot more to stop terrorism than the continued wasteful cluster**** that's ongoing now.

Hell, the entire Middle East could probably be rebuilt for a fraction of the total cost of the War on Terror.

Then the US shouldn't have spent billions blowing **** up. :shrug: If you tear a place down, and then whine about the consequences, you should build it back up. A Marshall Plan for the Middle East would do a hell of a lot more to stop terrorism than the continued wasteful cluster**** that's ongoing now.

Hell, the entire Middle East could probably be rebuilt for a fraction of the total cost of the War on Terror.
I agree, we should have dealt with those that attacked us and got the hell out. Still not too late to do that, you simply put our People on planes and get out. Let them deal with their own problems, our interfering has only made things worse and prolonged the misery, they have nothing we need best for all to move on.

Back
Top Bottom