• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What would you differently it fight radicalIslam?

If you were the POTUS, what might you do to try to put an end to this crap? This begins to remind me of Vietnam Nam . . Are we trying to win? Are we fulfilling our responsibilities as a super power?

Thoughts?

Realistically, it's really hard to answer this question.
You've got to take a different perspective, to fight "issues" of this kind.
Many of these perspectives are not normally considered moral, legal or ethical.

There are 1.6 billion Muslims. The only sensible answer I could give is that the problem has to be dealt with initially by the Muslim leadership, with hands on assistance from Muslim citizens, local police, federal/national police, and troops when needed. The governments around the world also need to be more proactive, and provide a better transfer of information for locating, and stamping out immediate hotspots.

The problem will never be dealt with by Muslim leadership. They are the problem.

The only thing a terrorist attack on America ought to bring is an instant death sentence on the attackers, everyone they know and everyone they love. I don't care who likes us because of it. I don't care who hates us because of it. Actions need to have consequences and those consequences need to be dire. If you don't want said consequences, keep your fanatical religious bulls**t out of our country.

So just to verify that I'm reading this correctly. If a terrorist drives through a crowd of people in Times Square, we should find his family, friends and everyone he knows and systematically murder every one of them to send a message?

When Japan hit Pearl Harbor, we hit back at Hiroshima.
I'd pull all military out of the ME and nuke the **** out of Mecca.

So mass indiscriminate murder against millions of innocent civilians. Jesus christ you're a disturbed individual. I urge you to seek counseling before you become another violent sociopath we all have to worry about.

We must do what we did in WWII in the Pacific - identify the enemy and how he threatens us, strengthen our weaknesses, locate the enemy where he lies, destroy him unrelentingly, and then destroy his ability to make war on us EVER AGAIN.

Yeah, that mentality works great when you're fighting a standing army, it doesn't work in the slightest when you're facing an abstract movement with no central structure or organization. There are no X number of people we can kill to make this go away, and even if there were, it's impossible to identify exactly which X people you need to kill to accomplish that. Your argument is more emotion than reality.

Last edited:
If you were the POTUS, what might you do to try to put an end to this crap? This begins to remind me of Vietnam Nam . . Are we trying to win? Are we fulfilling our responsibilities as a super power?

Thoughts?

Good question.

I have absolutely no idea what we can do about people willing to die for a religious cause. None.

So just to verify that I'm reading this correctly. If a terrorist drives through a crowd of people in Times Square, we should find his family, friends and everyone he knows and systematically murder every one of them to send a message?

Crazy. Isn't it?

When Japan hit Pearl Harbor, we hit back at Hiroshima.
I'd pull all military out of the ME and nuke the **** out of Mecca.
Then I would send every refugee that came here UNvetted, that was between the age of 18 and 60 that are males, and send them back from whence they came.
I would build a very tall wall that would make the great wall of china look like a popsicle fence.
Anyone wanting to come to the USA has to be processed...which will take MONTHS. They can frigging wait while they are super vetted before allowed in.
Then I would concentrate on us. Americans. Home. Rebuild our military to the max.

Funny you say that about Mecca.

An acquaintance of mine writes code for a phone manufacturer. He's a savant, I think. With a touch of Asperger's thrown in. Brilliant young man. We were discussing 9/11, and I told him I was amazed we'd had no other large scale attacks...even an organized bottle bomb blitz on outdoor Starbucks/restaurants would put our economy on its knees.

He said there was a school of thought that believed our gvmt had communicated to the terrorists that any such orchestrated attack on the US would be met with the swift destruction of Mecca.

It makes some sense to me since I truly DON'T understand why nothing major has happened in our country.

Bzzt. The fact speaks for itself. Youre trying to draw a parallel between the wars of conquest in ancient times with modern day terrorism, which is just silly. Switzerland has not been attacked by radical Islamists. Why? Because the Swiss arent messing around in places where they dont belong.

Good morning, PoS. :2wave:

Amen to that! :thumbs: We have plenty to take care of here to keep us busy, and why we even meddled in the ME in the first place will be something historians will answer, IMHO!

What I find sad is that while we did not change their culture even a little bit when we invaded their countries, they sure as H*** immediately began to change ours when they got the invite to relocate in Europe as "refugees," as an example! They've been killing each other over religious differences for 1300 years - is that what we want to be our future here, because they cannot and/or will not change their thinking about what Allah expects from them, and they are willing to die for that!! :thumbdown:

Not to send a message, to send a warning to potential suicide bombers and terrorists that if they attack us, not only is their own life forfeit, not only are the lives of those in their organization lives forfeit, but so are all of the people they know and love. It doesn't do any good to target ISIS combatants, they're already ready to die. They don't care. It has no impact on them whatsoever. But if we're willing to wipe out their friends and their wives and their children and everything they love, maybe some of them will reconsider. It's distasteful to be sure but hopefully it's something that won't have to happen very often. In the same way that being willing to nuke Hiroshima and Nagasaki ended WWII and saved millions of lives, being willing to kill civilians to stop terrorist attacks will also save lives.

Not to send a message, to send a warning to potential suicide bombers and terrorists that if they attack us, not only is their own life forfeit, not only are the lives of those in their organization lives forfeit, but so are all of the people they know and love. It doesn't do any good to target ISIS combatants, they're already ready to die. They don't care. It has no impact on them whatsoever. But if we're willing to wipe out their friends and their wives and their children and everything they love, maybe some of them will reconsider. It's distasteful to be sure but hopefully it's something that won't have to happen very often. In the same way that being willing to nuke Hiroshima and Nagasaki ended WWII and saved millions of lives, being willing to kill civilians to stop terrorist attacks will also save lives.

Jesus H. Christ you are one ****ed up individual, Cephus. No, we will not being sinking to their level by murdering innocent people. Something this "distasteful" can only come from the mind of a sociopath. Who do we know that's said something similar recently?

Jesus H. Christ you are one ****ed up individual, Cephus. No, we will not being sinking to their level by murdering innocent people. Something this "distasteful" can only come from the mind of a sociopath. Who do we know that's said something similar recently?

And of course, you just react emotionally. I'm sure that you'd have rather millions more Americans died in WWII rather than take the action that everyone acknowledges ultimately saved lives.

You're a sick bastard.

It just blows my mind how many sociopaths there are on this forum. People literally calling for the mass and indiscriminate murder of millions of people. How does this not qualify as hate speech?

Don't worry, just find yourself a black lives matter thread and you can see them there saying "all lives matter." :lol:

Don't worry, just find yourself a black lives matter thread and you can see them there saying "all lives matter." :lol:

And screaming that's racist.

The only thing the U.S. hasn't tried is leaving people the hell alone. For decades we have tried invading their countries, rearranging their borders, assassinating their leaders, dictating the governments, selecting their new leaders, occupying their lands, manipulating their natural resources, destroying their infrastructures, destroying their villages and towns, robbing citizens of the dignity, and causing much innocent loss of life. How is that working out? What did we honestly expect? Yet we do it again and again and we somehow expect the results to be different.

If we reversed roles and the U.S. were to experience all of the above at what point do you expect Americans would just give up? As with most nations I don't believe the U.S. would give up the fight until there was no one left to fight. Yet, we seem perplexed that Muslim nations we have ****ed with and ****ed over won't give up.

How about we leave them the hell alone, as we should have done from day one. We leave their nations. We pull our people out. That's a start. It is also the only thing we have never tried to do.

The only thing the U.S. hasn't tried is leaving people the hell alone. For decades we have tried invading their countries, rearranging their borders, assassinating their leaders, dictating the governments, selecting their new leaders, occupying their lands, manipulating their natural resources, destroying their infrastructures, destroying their villages and towns, robbing citizens of the dignity, and causing much innocent loss of life. How is that working out? What did we honestly expect? Yet we do it again and again and we somehow expect the results to be different.

If we reversed roles and the U.S. were to experience all of the above at what point do you expect Americans would just give up? As with most nations I don't believe the U.S. would give up the fight until there was no one left to fight. Yet, we seem perplexed that Muslim nations we have ****ed with and ****ed over won't give up.

How about we leave them the hell alone, as we should have done from day one. We leave their nations. We pull our people out. That's a start. It is also the only thing we have never tried to do.

And there's something to be said for that, but now you have a radical religious movement who wants to forcibly convert the planet to their brand of Islam and they don't care if you're meddling in the Middle East or not, if you're a heretic, you're dead.

And there's something to be said for that, but now you have a radical religious movement who wants to forcibly convert the planet to their brand of Islam and they don't care if you're meddling in the Middle East or not, if you're a heretic, you're dead.

Good point. I've thought about that as well. How the U.S. would address that internally is perhaps the greatest question. I don't have an answer.

Good point. I've thought about that as well. How the U.S. would address that internally is perhaps the greatest question. I don't have an answer.

The problem is, while most existing long-time Muslim citizens have had their Islamic beliefs neutered by secular society, just like Christianity has, there are recent immigrants who simply haven't been here long enough to have that happen. The overwhelming majority of American Muslims are completely fine, they are absolutely harmless, but there are some, especially the young, who are disenfranchised and therefore susceptible to radicalization online. And this is, whether people like it or not, primarily a Muslim problem. It is a problem with the Islamic religion. Christianity, virtually worldwide, has been successfully neutered. Those few areas where radical Christian terrorism still happens, like central Africa, those people aren't online trying to radicalize people around the planet, nor are they getting on planes or strapping on bomb vests anywhere but their own backyard. Therefore, people just aren't as aware of it, nor does it pose a worldwide threat. Islam, currently, is different. And that doesn't mean all Muslims are dangerous, but what everyone needs to get through their thick skulls is that, like it or not, the regular and the radical Muslims do share a common belief system and that this violence is, like it or not, caused by Islam. That doesn't mean we freak out and throw all Muslims out of the country, but it does mean that we need to take a serious and honest look at the actual problem, not stick our fingers in our ears and play political correctness because, oh no, someone might be offended by reality.

Too bad.

Most jihadists said GET OUT AND LEAVE US ALONE and that is why they are waging war. I agree with them. GET OUT AND LEAVE THEM ALONE. Let them kill each other off. And if they continue to attack other countries and us, THEN wipe out Mecca.

Oh. Wait. We will never leave them alone. They have oil.

[OTE=MaggieD;1066081430]If you were the POTUS, what might you do to try to put an end to this crap? This begins to remind me of Vietnam Nam . . Are we trying to win? Are we fulfilling our responsibilities as a super power?

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I do not really think we do have a final plan right now. We are just stumbling along fighting it like crime.

That might not be, where the solution is. We might need to take the initiative away from the terrorists and change the game. That is what Bin Laden and later Putin each did to our chagrin and forced us to dance to their tunes

Thoughts?

Item One: Destroy ISIS utterly by whatever means necessary.

Their proclamation of the Caliphate is a major problem... theologically it is a call to all Muslims who believe ISIS is the true Caliphate to make war on the infidel or go to hell. It is a powerful driver of radicalization of susceptible Muslims.

Destroy ISIS and you prove to the Muslim world they were NOT the "Caliphate of the End of Days", and remove a lot of the pressure to engage in Jihad from Muslims world wide. Destroying ISIS would prove to them theologically that ISIS did NOT have Allah's blessing as the Caliphate, but was a false claim.

Item two: Get control of our borders and our immigration. We've talked this one to death, we know what needs done already.

Item three: remove the constraints that intelligence services and the FBI currently operate under preventing them from profiling radical Muslims and searching or bugging suspect Mosques. This is key.

The war on terror is a conflict perpetuated by our foreign policy. If I was POTUS I would withdraw all our troops from overseas and stop meddling in other countries' affairs- no military support for anyone. It would give radical Islamists no reason to attack us. Neutral countries dont get attacked by foreign terrorists.

That sounds good. Like Rome withdrawing the police and judges from their war on the mafia.

Remotely, I would talk to them. I would hear what they have to say, and I would share my perspective. CIA director has said a lot of terrorists have been recruited since the drone attacks. Blowing our way to victory isn't going to win, that's just going to recruit more terrorists.

They attack us we think they are attacking freedom, as that was the official statement about the 9/11's intentions.
When we bomb them, they think we are bombing Islam.

The only thing that can stop this cycle is to talk to them. And that's what I would do.

Back
Top Bottom