• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What would it take...?

Felicity said:
Nope...I'm around...just doesn't seem there is anything pertinent to add....

:lol: He's good, alright... although I'm less inclined to knock off even deserving criminals. I think capital punishment is justifiable, but rarely necessary.

I don't think capital punishment is a good solution. If a guy rapes and kills, it would be just fine with me if he is put down like a rabid mutt. But there is a huge expense involved in prosecuting cases to this level, conviction and appeals, more than keeping him in prison for life, I have read. (I'll try to find some data for this at some point). Also, lots of court time is taken, and the backlogs are huge.

These aren't the only considerations, but they matter. If we can keep the same loser in prison for life, with no chance of parole, I'll accept that.

Are you still thinking about an abortion law, drafted by Felicity?

tryreading said:
!!! Hey, baby. Let's take this to an empty thread. L'il sum'm sum'm.

Ewwww!

;) :3oops:

Felicity said:
Nope...I'm around...just doesn't seem there is anything pertinent to add....

:lol: He's good, alright... although I'm less inclined to knock off even deserving criminals. I think capital punishment is justifiable, but rarely necessary.

In 7 years, in 1993 dollars, CP cases cost an estimated extra $1.69 billion nationally. And only about 10% of the original number sentenced to death were ever executed.

...the most comprehensive cost study was published by Duke University
researchers in 1993. This two-year study determined North Carolina's
capital cases cost at least an extra $2.16 million per execution,
compared to what taxpayers would have spent if defendants were tried
without the death penalty and sentenced to life in prison. Applying
those figures nationally would mean $1.69 billion were spent on the
784 executions carried out nationwide since 1976 (in 1993 dollars).

http://www21.overture.com/d/sr/?xar...sTOLDtBbsk-Tm35jC0eodg..&yargs=www.fguide.org

tryreading said:
Are you still thinking about an abortion law, drafted by Felicity?

Oh...you got me...no...I put that at the back of my mind...

Here's an "off the cuff" idea:
The first thing I'd be looking for would be that no federal monies would go to support abortions.

Felicity said:
Oh...you got me...no...I put that at the back of my mind...

Here's an "off the cuff" idea:
The first thing I'd be looking for would be that no federal monies would go to support abortions.

Well, I just thought it would be interesting. You're intelligent and thoughtful.

That's a good start. Would that apply to rape and incest cases, too? And where the woman's life may be in danger?

tryreading said:
Well, I just thought it would be interesting. You're intelligent and thoughtful.

That's a good start. Would that apply to rape and incest cases, too? And where the woman's life may be in danger?

Rape and incest--yes--no federal monies.
I don't believe that preserving one's life when there is a specific threat, should be punished and therefore, something that is medically necessary (like intervention for an ectopic pregnancy) would be reasonably covered.

Felicity said:
Rape and incest--yes--no federal monies.
I don't believe that preserving one's life when there is a specific threat, should be punished and therefore, something that is medically necessary (like intervention for an ectopic pregnancy) would be reasonably covered.

Very interesting. I don't understand this. I wouldn't have guessed this split, unless maybe I went back and reread some of your old posts.

I do get your position that the rape and incest cases have no bearing on the fetus, it is not responsible/guilty, and shouldn't be killed. But the woman's position? I couldn't/wouldn't withhold that assistance from her, if she needed it.

tryreading said:
Very interesting. I don't understand this. I wouldn't have guessed this split, unless maybe I went back and reread some of your old posts.

I do get your position that the rape and incest cases have no bearing on the fetus, it is not responsible/guilty, and shouldn't be killed. But the woman's position? I couldn't/wouldn't withhold that assistance from her, if she needed it.
Absolutely she should be given help--but no money for an abortion. I would absolutely be in favor of help her receive or providing her any services that will benefit her mental and physical well being--as long as those services are not a detriment to anypne else. And I consider the growing child a "someone else."

Felicity said:
Absolutely she should be given help--but no money for an abortion. I would absolutely be in favor of help her receive or providing her any services that will benefit her mental and physical well being--as long as those services are not a detriment to anypne else. And I consider the growing child a "someone else."

IMHO, the best way to deal with a baby conceived by rape/incest is to try to convince the mother that the pain and suffering she will likely endure is worth the life of the baby inside her - after all, said pain and suffering is only temporary, and the baby didn't cause it.

Some people, of course, are too selfish to see it that way.

M14 Shooter said:
IMHO, the best way to deal with a baby conceived by rape/incest is to try to convince the mother that the pain and suffering she will likely endure is worth the life of the baby inside her - after all, said pain and suffering is only temporary, and the baby didn't cause it.

Some people, of course, are too selfish to see it that way.
Totally agree with that! In fact--with the proper perspective--the rape victim could see the triumph over tragedy that is this new life. It could give her a "reason" for why she endured the violation--to bring a good out of the evil.

I'm certain many would find such an altruistic perspective difficult--but it could be a way to defeat the evil act, by blotting out the darkness with the light of life.

shuamort said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasea
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. (Your statement being: “Biological facts do not answer ethical questions.”)

Herein lies the crux.

The genesis is a well established biological fact, which is then bent, twisted, distorted, and otherwise tortured in an attempt to reshape it to conform to the requirements necessary to validate an opinion which has no otherwise factual underpinnings.

The well established biological fact is that the combining of sperm and the egg create a new, distinct, unique human life, separate from that of the mother, which, unless interrupted by a natural or deliberate event, will grow and develop seamlessly. In the fullness of time, the unborn child announces its readiness to leave the womb, does so, and takes its rightful place among us.
Right. We agree to this point. That's all fact.
I’ve included this exchange because it makes what follows easier to explain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasea
One who does not differentiate between humans, animals, and fowl might, indeed, engage in such extrapolation, as might one who is addle pated. Great idea. Facts only. Just keep in mind what you wrote, "Biological facts do not answer ethical questions. The ethical answers are derived from facts and can be interpreted by the individual user."

Facts are in and "fluid" ethical answers are out.
Therein lies the problem and where opinion and personal feelings come in to play.
You stated and I agreed in the preceding exchanges that, with the question of abortion, there are facts, there are ethical opinions, and there are feelings.

It is a fact that the occupant of the womb is a distinct, unique human life, separate from that of the mother, which, unless interrupted by a natural or deliberate event, will grow and develop seamlessly, and in the fullness of time, the unborn child leaves the womb at birth to take its rightful place among us.

It is a fact is that prior to being aborted, the occupant of the womb is alive and after being aborted, the occupant of the womb is dead, thereby deprived of its life.

There are no other facts which bear on the question. Everything else falls into the category opinion based upon ethical pronouncements, feelings, emotion, or a combination of the three.

There are questions that gnaw at me.

Who, or what group is it that determined the principal that aborting an unborn child is ethical?

Bearing in mind that synonyms for the word “ethical” include correct, decent, elevated, equitable, fair, fitting, good, high-principled, honest, honorable, humane, just, moralistic, noble, principled, proper, respectable, right, virtuous, how can this word be reasonably applied to the aborting of an unborn child?

Doesn’t it destroy the credibility of those who, even if the light of modern scientific revelations, maintain that whether life begins at conception is unknowable with absolute certainty, to say, in effect, “What the hell, as long as there may be some doubt, kill the damned nuisance.”? Their error, or perhaps, hypocrisy is revealed quite clearly in the Merrian-Websters definition which uses the words “death of the embryo or fetus”. In order for anything to die, it must, first, have been alive.

Main Entry: abor•tion
Pronunciation: &-'bor-sh&n
Function: noun
1 : the termination of a pregnancy after, accompanied by, or closely followed by the death of the embryo or fetus; especially : the medical procedure of inducing expulsion of a human fetus to terminate a pregnancy

With rare exceptions, summed up, all of the reasons given for abortion really distill down to two; to avoid the embarrassment of an unwed pregnancy, or a pregnancy which has occurred at an inconvenient time. Are these not merely emotional responses to an unpleasant event? Is the only solution to kill the child involved?

Since modern advances in pre-natal care and in treatment of rape victims have effectively removed these as “excuses” for the need for abortions, why do the pro-choicers still trumpet these as indispensable reasons?

These are emotional arguments with the volume turned all the way up.

One is subjected to a constant barrage of “I think”, “I believe”, “I feel”, “I consider”, “I assume”, and the like, followed by a reason to abort an unborn child. There are no facts here. Are these not merely unfounded opinions?
Since we're arguing solely facts and not feelings, there should be no delineation in what value one life has over another. It's a very cold, hard look at life.
A fact is, as it were, the apple, and the opinion and personal feelings are the orange. And this is the point at which you are attempting to “mix” them.

Life, at least in the US, provided that one is not incarcerated, is what one decides to make of it. If you don’t believe that, just take a look at what most immigrants have made of their lives.
One could take the facts and use them to rationalize a war in Iraq, abortion, or eating a hamburger or, at the same time, using other facts to be a vegan hippy eating only raw foods and becoming a vessel of life to 20 offspring.
Rationalize? I’m glad you picked that word. I think it’s an excellent choice when one considers the second meaning in its definition:

ra•tion•al•ize (r sh -n -l z )
v. ra•tion•al•ized, ra•tion•al•iz•ing, ra•tion•al•iz•es
1. To make rational.
2. To devise self-satisfying but false or inconsistent reasons for one's behavior, especially as an unconscious defense mechanism through which irrational acts or feelings are made to appear rational to oneself.

Need I say more?

I think we both know that basing these arguments on life and death should be more than just cold, hard facts.
If that is what you think, then you have been misconstruing my posts. I shall try to write with more clarity and less ambiguity.
Making an argument for or against abortion based solely on facts doesn't answer the bigger questions.
You are correct.

Facts concern themselves with the smaller question; that of demonstrating that the occupant of the womb is a living, growing, developing unborn human child.

The bigger questions, which you do not enumerate, are simply rationalized, aren’t they?

You may wish to re-read the central portion of my post #18 in this thread.

Fantasea said:
The bigger questions, which you do not enumerate, are simply rationalized, aren’t they?
I'm cutting to the quick here. As with anything, rationalization is induced based from facts. One can rationalize abortion, being pro-choice, being anti-choice, or being pro-life. None of these positions are reached by facts alone but by opinions and beliefs with facts extrapolated on their backs.

Being pro-life is a rationalization that life of humans and fetuses are to be protected. Why? Why should these unborn be protected from abortion? Are there any concrete facts that we should allow them to live? No. In fact, looking at concrete facts in an over-populated world where resources are becoming scarce, the facts would incline that population control is necessary and abortion becomes a means to an end. Rationalization that life of an unborn should be valuable becomes just that, rationalization.

My point being is that we can't make decisions based solely on facts when more comes into play in these situations.

BIOLOGICALLY, it functions just like a parasite does. SO what was your claim again? Were you lying again? AGAIN!

You're lying. You're using revisionist linguistic hyperbole merely shows you as a liar. You liar. Stop lying.

M14 Shooter said:

Why should she have to deal with all that pain? Cause you think you know better than the mother what's good for her, right? You're right, pain and suffering are only temporary, and it's not a baby inside her until it develops a nervous system. The only thing that gets killed is tissue.

Some people, of course, are too selfish to see it that way

You have a skewed sense of morality dude. And saying we are selfish, dude last time I checked, this was a debate forum, not an opinion forum.

kal-el said:
Why should she have to deal with all that pain? Cause you think you know better than the mother what's good for her, right? You're right, pain and suffering are only temporary, and it's not a baby inside her until it develops a nervous system. The only thing that gets killed is tissue.
I think I have explained myself rather well, and you have clearly failed to grasp that expalantion.

You have a skewed sense of morality dude.
Yes - he who would have people choose to save innocent human lives instead of slaughter them out of conveneience has a 'skewed' morality.

And saying we are selfish, dude last time I checked, this was a debate forum, not an opinion forum.
LOL
And what, exactly do you think "it's not a baby inside her until it develops a nervous system" is, if not an 'opinion'?
LOL

M14 Shooter said:
I think I have explained myself rather well, and you have clearly failed to grasp that expalantion.

I didn't see any where where you explained yourself at all.:lol:

Yes - he who would have people choose to save innocent human lives instead of slaughter them out of conveneience has a 'skewed' morality.

Out of conveinence? Morally, IMO if an abortion is going to happen,it has to be done while the fetus is still just a fetus, without thoughts, feelings,or mental capacity. Thankfully, women can have abortions at their discretion, a small price to pay to ensure that we don't make them slaves to you're backwards beliefs.

LOL
And what, exactly do you think "it's not a baby inside her until it develops a nervous system" is, if not an 'opinion'?
LOL

Ok,well it is an informed opinion. It is fact that the nervous system starts developing right after conception, but sometime around 12-14 weeks, it is fully functional.

kal-el said:
I didn't see any where where you explained yourself at all.
Then you need to read this thread, and "Continuation".

Out of conveinence?
Yes.
Whats the basis for aborting an unwanted pregnancy, an abortion not medically necessary to save the life of the mother, if not convenience?

Morally, IMO if an abortion is going to happen,it has to be done while the fetus is still just a fetus, without thoughts, feelings,or mental capacity.
Thats a rather conveninet, subjective definition of 'human'.
Marginalization of human life is, historically, the first step to its wholsesale slaughter. You follow in some mighty big footsteps - are you up to it?

Thankfully, women can have abortions at their discretion, a small price to pay to ensure that we don't make them slaves to you're backwards beliefs.
The belief that innocent human lives should not be taken for nothing more than convenience is "backwards"?

Please explain how an argument opposite mine -- one where it IS OK to take human lives for convenience -- qualifies as "enlightened".

Ok,well it is an informed opinion.
And...?
This is a debate forum, not an opinion forum.

It is fact that the nervous system starts developing right after conception, but sometime around 12-14 weeks, it is fully functional.
Why is this the threshhold moment for attaining the status of "human life"?

M14 Shooter said:
Then you need to read this thread, and "Continuation".

I have, that's how I came to the conclusion that you have contributed very little to the debate.:lol:

Yes.
Whats the basis for aborting an unwanted pregnancy, an abortion not medically necessary to save the life of the mother, if not convenience?

What if it is? What if the child posses a health risk? Anyway, hundreds of thousands of unwanted kids, combined with sexual frustration,induced mass hysteria, cause wars, and wars cause alot more deaths than abortions ever will.

Thats a rather conveninet, subjective definition of 'human'.
Marginalization of human life is, historically, the first step to its wholsesale slaughter. You follow in some mighty big footsteps - are you up to it?

It seems that you are making the grave mistake of assuming it's indeed a life, it's an embryo for potential life. Potential dosen't make it an actual life.

The belief that innocent human lives should not be taken for nothing more than convenience is "backwards"?

Innocent humans? Please, if that was the case, I would be pro-life of course,but it's not. A fetus has no thought or feelings of personality, and those, my friend, are the qualities which define moral status.

Please explain how an argument opposite mine -- one where it IS OK to take human lives for convenience -- qualifies as "enlightened".

Well, now that we can detect certain illnesses in the early stages, wouldn't it be morally wrong to condem these children to a life of harship, because of some's stupid religious beleifs?

And...?
This is a debate forum, not an opinion forum.

:rofl

Why is this the threshhold moment for attaining the status of "human life"?

Well, after 12 weeks when the nervous system develops and all the limbs are elongated properly, I would say it is human then, but at viability, only then can they live outside the mother's womb.

kal-el said:
I have, that's how I came to the conclusion that you have contributed very little to the debate.
As the desert said to the grain of sand.

What if it is?
You;re just dismissing the idea that you support the taking of innocent human life for simple convenience?
What sort of monster are you?

What if the child posses a health risk?
That's an orange - I'm arguing apples.

Anyway, hundreds of thousands of unwanted kids, combined with sexual frustration,induced mass hysteria, cause wars, and wars cause alot more deaths than abortions ever will.
How does this support the argument you;re trying to make?

It seems that you are making the grave mistake of assuming it's indeed a life, it's an embryo for potential life. Potential dosen't make it an actual life.
-It is alive
-It is human.
Thus
It is a human life.
Your argument is based on some level of 'personhood', necessary to marginalize the human life inside the mother; as stated before, marginalization of human life is, historically, the first step to its wholsesale slaughter

Innocent humans? Please, if that was the case, I would be pro-life of course,but it's not
Its not innocent?
Of what is it guilty?
What has it done to deserve its death?

.A fetus has no thought or feelings of personality, and those, my friend, are the qualities which define moral status.
Why does that define 'human life'?

Well, now that we can detect certain illnesses in the early stages, wouldn't it be morally wrong to condem these children to a life of harship, because of some's stupid religious beleifs?
What maked you think my argument is baded on religion?
And... are you REALLY making the "better off dead" argument?
Who are YOU to make this decision, and why can;t I make that decision regarding you?

You're laughing at your own statement?

Well, after 12 weeks when the nervous system develops and all the limbs are elongated properly, I would say it is human then, but at viability, only then can they live outside the mother's womb.
Why do -these- things define 'human life'?

Last edited:
Ethereal said:
You're lying. You're using revisionist linguistic hyperbole merely shows you as a liar. You liar. Stop lying.
AH, a "because I say so" false claim. Not a surprise.

M14 Shooter said:
-It is alive
-It is human.
Thus
It is a human life.
Just like a hydatidiform mole.
Its not innocent?
Of what is it guilty?
Of using the woman's bodily resources against her will.

M14 Shooter said:
A malformed placetnta is not a human life.

How is this the fault of the baby?

Steen's got mole on the brain. A partial hydatidiform mole actually is a normal human ovum that has been fertilized by two sperm, or a diploid sperm. It is a genetic deformation. Just as Down's Syndrome is a genetic anomaly, so too is the genetic deformity that results in what is called a partial mole. However--human's with this deformity cannot survive to birth. Steen just can't get this idea, because he cannot recognize conception as the point at which human life begins and apparently he is prejudiced against genetically abnormal humans--classing them as NOT human if he chooses.

Complete moles are something different--they are empty ova--no maternal genetic contribution and two/or diploid sperm penetration. No unique biological entity--hence no human.

Felicity said:
Steen's got mole on the brain. A partial hydatidiform mole actually is a normal human ovum that has been fertilized by two sperm, or a diploid sperm. It is a genetic deformation. Just as Down's Syndrome is a genetic anomaly, so too is the genetic deformity that results in what is called a partial mole. However--human's with this deformity cannot survive to birth. Steen just can't get this idea, because he cannot recognize conception as the point at which human life begins and apparently he is prejudiced against genetically abnormal humans--classing them as NOT human if he chooses.

Complete moles are something different--they are empty ova--no maternal genetic contribution and two/or diploid sperm penetration. No unique biological entity--hence no human.
Wait, so now it needs the mother's genetic code to be a living human?

Back
Top Bottom