• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What would it take for you to vote third party?

cpgrad08

American
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I was just wondering for those that will be voting Republican or Democrat this election. I was wondering what would it take for you to leave the two main parties and vote third party in a general election?

A desire to throw my vote away. If I feel like that at the time I'll just vote Mickey Mouse, the old standby.

I was just wondering for those that will be voting Republican or Democrat this election. I was wondering what would it take for you to leave the two main parties and vote third party in a general election?

It is already close. Clinton has proposed an economic policy mix that is really very bad for the nation and for almost every citizen.

I must agree with clownboy.

To vote 3rd Party may seem a noble endeavor, but it's a wasted vote, especially in a date and time such as this, when clearly the majority of the voters in this divided nation are going to vote for either the liar Hillary Clinton or the bombastic hot-dog Donald Trump.

It's the classic 'lesser of two evils' scenario, sadly.
And a 3rd Party vote would be a futile (if sort-of-noble) gesture.

Just my two cents worth.
:)

It is already close. Clinton has proposed an economic policy mix that is really very bad for the nation and for almost every citizen.

What will it take to push over the edge?

A desire to throw my vote away. If I feel like that at the time I'll just vote Mickey Mouse, the old standby.

That is why the two large parties can afford such breathtakingly unbelievable candidates.

I must agree with clownboy.

To vote 3rd Party may seem a noble endeavor, but it's a wasted vote, especially in a date and time such as this, when clearly the majority of the voters in this divided nation are going to vote for either the liar Hillary Clinton or the bombastic hot-dog Donald Trump.

It's the classic 'lesser of two evils' scenario, sadly.
And a 3rd Party vote would be a futile (if sort-of-noble) gesture.

Just my two cents worth.
:)

I never buy into the wasted vote mentality. To the me the only wasted vote is the one not cast, but then again if the only way for me not to waste vote (in the eye of the majority) is two vote for two "evil" candidates then I rather waste my vote and vote for a sane candidate.

That is why the two large parties can afford such breathtakingly unbelievable candidates.

Ultimately, it is the mentality that allows the people to keep to corrupt parties to stay in power for the last century.

A chance in hell that the candidate could win. They would have to match 70% of my platform opinions/beliefs.

Just need to have Johnson ahead in the polls over Trump. The larger the margin the better.

I never buy into the wasted vote mentality. To the me the only wasted vote is the one not cast, but then again if the only way for me not to waste vote (in the eye of the majority) is two vote for two "evil" candidates then I rather waste my vote and vote for a sane candidate.

The bolded is a non sequitur.

By your logic a non-vote is a wasted vote because a person has not made a choice at all. That it is better to vote for someone, anyone rather than not vote at all.

However, a non-vote IS a vote...one that states NONE of the candidates meet with your approval and are thus not deserving of your vote.

To argue otherwise is to undermine your own position against "wasting" a vote by voting for the lesser of two evils rather than a candidate YOU think is a better option.

The bolded is a non sequitur.

By your logic a non-vote is a wasted vote because a person has not made a choice at all. That it is better to vote for someone, anyone rather than not vote at all.

However, a non-vote IS a vote...one that states NONE of the candidates meet with your approval and are thus not deserving of your vote.

To argue otherwise is to undermine your own position against "wasting" a vote by voting for the lesser of two evils rather than a candidate YOU think is a better option.

Maybe so.

The chance that he could do 25 percent

I personally need a 30% margin in the polls to consider a third party and I need a 35% margin in the polls to pull the trigger for Johnson. Without those margins this election I will vote Trump.

If it was Hillary vs. Romney, I'd probably do that.

When one of the two main parties runs someone as vile as Trump, I have to vote against that person.

I think if you live in a solid blue or red state and you don't like either candidate it's important to vote out of party to send them a message that they need to reform their platforms but if your like me in a purple state your stuck voting in the two party system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if you live in a solid blue or red state and you don't like either candidate it's important to vote out of party to send them a message that they need to reform their platforms but if your like me in a purple state your stuck voting in the two party system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, good thing I live in Texas, so I can at least vote my conscience.

I keep bouncing back and forth but I I'm already voting third party unless I ever get the feeling that Trump has a real shot than I won't.

What would it take, all it took was for the Republicans to nominate Trump and for the Democrats to nominate Clinton. Those two nominations sent me searching for a decent candidate to vote for, not just against and I found that man. He goes by the name of Gary Johnson.

When it comes to presidential election I have voted Republican more times than not. Although too young to vote, I was a Nixon backer in 1960 and a Goldwater backer in 1964. You had to be 21 back then. I still consider Goldwater my political mentor.

If, and only if there were a third party candidate that I could really support, which simply isn't the case. They'd have to really earn my vote to get my support. Everything else is just a protest vote against the worst option.

I still consider Goldwater my political mentor.

Same here, although I still disagree with some things that Goldwater believed.

If Johnson has any chance according to polls around election time, then I'll vote for him. If he's polling really low, like he is now, then I feel like I would be throwing away my vote and would go with Trump instead.

Back
Top Bottom