• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What would have to happen for you to openly disconnect yourself from your family

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
If you haven't done it already :)

Just what foul 'wrong' would they have to say or do against you?

There's nothing I can think of that would. I'll always be there for my kids and if the Mrs. and I ever were to get divorced I would try my best to at least stay friends and be civil fir the kids.

If you haven't done it already :)

Just what foul 'wrong' would they have to say or do against you?

your entire family, or just a member? i haven't spoken with my brother since 2008, and don't plan to. he's an ass, and ruined our family renunion. not that we aren't dysfunctional anyway, but he's special.

If any one of them were to become hippies I would have to disassociate myself from them.

Which family?

My wife and children? I can't think of anything
My parents and brother? They would have turn out to be very evil people like Charlie Manson.
Extended family? I hardly ever talk to them.
In-laws? Any excuse I can think of

I openly disconnected myself from my grandmother, grandfather, and aunt. (all on my mother's side) All of us did, actually - all of us being my mom, dad, and sister. We did it because they were lying sacks of **** who were continually trying cause everyone pain and suffering. They were either completely and totally delusional, or they were just deliberately making **** up to facilitate rifts between certain family members. We decided that having them in our lives was all negative, and zero positive, so we removed them from our lives. I have not spoken to them in nearly 10 years. Though, my grandmother is trying to make amends now. And, I do speak to my cousins (my lying aunt's children)

They would have to tell me to eff-off, but that will never happen because my family is pretty laid back. Dysfunctional but nice.:)

It's already happened to a certain extent. I keep limited contact with my parents but the rest of the family has sort of edged me out. They disagree rather strongly with my politics and religious views as well as my personal views on monogamy.

What would have to happen for you to openly disconnect yourself from your family

Only way I'd do it "openly" would be if I thought it would benefit other family members. Otherwise, I'd keep my disconnect to myself. One thing that's happened in our family is that a relative was borrowing money from family members and not paying it back...one sob story after another. The third or fourth family member that got stung, let the rest of the family know. Good idea. It created a disconnect, though, only because when he found he couldn't borrow money from us any longer, he disconnected himself.

Well my dad's side disowned me for being gay when I was 14; my mom's side mostly lives in Newfoundland and I'm lucky if I see any of them every 10 years. My immediate family lives on the other side of Canada but we talk on the phone from time to time. Then of course I do things like go to China for a year.

I think I'm already fairly disconnected from my family by virtue of my life.

Never, say never.

Sometimes you don't know what your family is willing to do, to you.

Perhaps. I can't think of a circumstance where I would voluntarily disconnect myself from my family.
I have already done alot of things that could have gotten me disowned and I haven't yet :shrug:

Perhaps. I can't think of a circumstance where I would voluntarily disconnect myself from my family.
I have already done alot of things that could have gotten me disowned and I haven't yet :shrug:

My family decided that if I was happy with my wife and kids, I was wrong and did things to stir up trouble.

I had to cut ties eventually, they started all sorts of crap.

Well my dad's side disowned me for being gay when I was 14; my mom's side mostly lives in Newfoundland and I'm lucky if I see any of them every 10 years. My immediate family lives on the other side of Canada but we talk on the phone from time to time. Then of course I do things like go to China for a year.

I think I'm already fairly disconnected from my family by virtue of my life.
I know the feeling

My family decided that if I was happy with my wife and kids, I was wrong and did things to stir up trouble.

I had to cut ties eventually, they started all sorts of crap.

Sorry to hear. Their loss, wish you and your wife happiness :)

My family resigned themselves to the fact I was dating a non Muslim. Took a few years but they got over it in the end. I suppose the real test comes when kids and marriage gets involved.

Sorry to hear. Their loss, wish you and your wife happiness :)

My family resigned themselves to the fact I was dating a non Muslim. Took a few years but they got over it in the end. I suppose the real test comes when kids and marriage gets involved.

That is the real test.

When we first got together, dealing with the animosity was easy because we didn't have children to manage.
Afterward, it became a protect the children or deal with the crap thing.
Kids don't need to grow up around that kind of behavior.

The more I spend time down here with my family, the more I'm disconnected to most of them.

Bible-thumping grandma who is the uber-Republican, pill-popping aunt, recluse of an uncle. It's just a painful reminder of how different I am.

I don't entirely blame them. Alabama is back-asswards. I consider them a product of environment.

Back
Top Bottom