• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What would happen if sex ed was banned from K-12?

If sex ed were banned from K-8, students would become...

• More promiscuous.

• Less promiscuous.

• Unsure

• Similarly promiscuous

Results are only viewable after voting.

Atreus21

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I'm not asking really about the practicality of it, about how it would be effectively banned. I'm more asking what you think the general outcome would be.

I'm not asking really about the practicality of it, about how it would be effectively banned. I'm more asking what you think the general outcome would be.

We don't have to guess. We can look at nations that have comprehensive sex ed, where STI rates are low, and run that in reverse.

And here's a sobering thought: Opponents of comprehensive sex ed are generally opposed to kids learning about consent. :oops:

Lots more teen pregnancy and stds.

We don't have to guess. We can look at nations that have comprehensive sex ed, where STI rates are low, and run that in reverse.

And here's a sobering thought: Opponents of comprehensive sex ed are generally opposed to kids learning about consent. :oops:

I'd be interested to see if there was any way to study what outcomes were like before comprehensive sex ed.

On the other hand, even if that yielded less promiscuity, the culture was far different then.

I'd be interested to see if there was any way to study what outcomes were like before comprehensive sex ed.

On the other hand, even if that yielded less promiscuity, the culture was far different then.

You don't have to. Just study history and learn about child marriages and spousal rape.

I voted UNSURE but I believe the results will be wildly varied and inconclusive.

Hey I am all for doing the ban, today and follow it with a Nationwide statistical tracking and research project, the biggest ever, that would not only track what America had lost by banning Sex Ed specifically to that area but also cataloguing unforeseen societal changes outside uneducated sex.

You don't have to. Just study history and learn about child marriages and spousal rape.

But I'd say those aren't strictly related to sex ed. Those are more moral issues than teaching kids about the nature of sexuality.

I voted UNSURE but I believe the results will be wildly varied and inconclusive.

Hey I am all for doing the ban, today and follow it with a Nationwide statistical tracking and research project, the biggest ever, that would not only track what America had lost by banning Sex Ed specifically to that area but also cataloguing unforeseen societal changes outside uneducated sex.

Thoughtful. Thanks.

But I'd say those aren't strictly related to sex ed. Those are more moral issues than teaching kids about the nature of sexuality.

Child marriage and spousal rape have nothing to do with the nature of sexuality?

Are you opposed to children receiving age-appropriate lessons on consent?

You’d wind up with more unwanted pregnancies and more STDs.

Simple as that.

Because, sadly, there are many adults that do not even understand reproduction, birth control, STDs…and there are also adults in complete denial that little Johnny or little Suzie could possibly be having sex.

Proper sex education should begin in an age appropriate manner in childhood. It starts with simply knowing the correct anatomical names for body parts and understanding privacy and bodily autonomy. I am amazed at how many children don’t know the proper name for all their body parts.

I voted unsure. I think promiscuity would stay the same but the teen pregnancy rate would increase.

edit: Changed my vote to similarly promiscuous

I think the number of teens having sex, number of partners and frequency( promiscuity) will stay basically the same, but the negative impact of it on everyone's lives will be exponentially greater. I cannot imagine a more blatantly immoral act for public schools, than refusing to educate students about their own sexuality.

more promiscuity, teen pregnancy and std transmissions

We would be far better served by having a fully comprehensive sex ed, and then tracking results.

I didn't vote as it begs to question why sex education was even necessary to begin with. Like maybe it's not such good idea to have children go explore on their own just for starters.

Little to nothing.

Voted" Unsure

If sex ed was banned in k-12 it would mean the parents would have to step up.
What a concept, parents teaching their kids about relationships and sex.
Things that my parents did for me back in the 50's.

A lot more teen pregnancies, abortions, and STIs.

I didn't vote as it begs to question why sex education was even necessary to begin with. Like maybe it's not such good idea to have children go explore on their own just for starters.

So if we did that by banning sex ed, what do you think the result would be?

If you're not concerned about this as a moral issue, why does it matter?

If it's not about morality, then there's no way anyone can object to kids understanding health-related things like periods, sexual function, stds, and pregnancy, is there?

Promiscuity is nothing more than people choosing to have sex with a variety of people...if it's not about morality...what's the issue? Again, understanding the health aspects are only positives, arent they?

Voted" Unsure

If sex ed was banned in k-12 it would mean the parents would have to step up.
What a concept, parents teaching their kids about relationships and sex.
Things that my parents did for me back in the 50's.
The reason we have sex ed, is largely because they didn't. And many won't again, but don't despair there is always an older cousin, and some internet sites to help fill the void

I don't recall "sex ed" being taught in any grade prior to maybe 5th or 6th grade. Even then it was just some basics about physical differences.

True "sex ed" started in "Health" Class, around 8th grade, although biology classes simply taught biological sexual differences in 7th grade.

Back
Top Bottom