• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What would happen if Elon Musk takes over Twitter?

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
There's been lots of reporting on this story on both sides of the aisle. It seems like the left, generally, doesn't want this to happen. It seems like the right, generally, does want this to happen.

What do you all think would happen if Elon Musk takes over Twitter? Why do you want it to happen? Why do you not want it to happen?

Also --- do you participate in Twitter?

I am not a Twitter person, but after they banned Trump I have no use for them. I would like to see what he would do with Twitter.

There's been lots of reporting on this story on both sides of the aisle. It seems like the left, generally, doesn't want this to happen. It seems like the right, generally, does want this to happen.

What do you all think would happen if Elon Musk takes over Twitter? Why do you want it to happen? Why do you not want it to happen?

I think Musk should liquidate the company.

I do not participate in Twitter.

left or right I have no idea nor do I care about such moronic shit

Twitter will continue to be a pointless detriment to society. The same as if he did nothing.

If Twitter is pointless, then why is everyone all atwitter (heh, heh) about the prospect of Musk taking it over?

Twitter will continue to be a pointless detriment to society. The same as if he did nothing.

There's actually a lot of good stuff on twitter; just have to sort through the shit. Musk is a factor b/c the fear is he will 'uncensor' it, as in allowing the more odious characters to post in the name of 'free speech.'

If Musk is smart, he won't do that - twitter has actually done well by having at least some basic ground rules. If he turns it into a no-rules free for all, he'll ruin the quality side of twitter. There will be prominent people with millions of followers who will boycott and move to instagram or facebook or whatever.

The smart move for Musk would be to basically leave it alone and to use it as a space to get free pub.

More decent into evil if Musk takes over.

Somehow deplorables have confused lies and dishonesty with freedom instead of what it is, immoral behaviors that destroy great countries from within.

If Twitter is pointless, then why is everyone all atwitter (heh, heh) about the prospect of Musk taking it over?
Because a lot of people don’t realize the harm social media does to society in general and are caught up on smaller goals.

Something being popular or commanding a lot of money doesn’t equate to it being a good idea, it just means it’s a marketable idea which is far from the same thing.

Realistically? Probably almost nothing. Who knows though. Musk isn't exactly the most mentally stable individual.

Realistically? Probably almost nothing. Who knows though. Musk isn't exactly the most mentally stable individual.

He isn’t? Do tell.

If Musk takes over Twitter?

I figure there will be a congressional investigation and TONS of new legislation trying to define "free speech" and the government need to regulate public discussion through "public utilities". The end result could well be nationalization of of internet services "in the interests of protecting and preserving democracy as well as ensuring that underserved communities have equal access to the the same communication platforms that white communities do".

-edit-

Forgot to mention that I have made maybe 10 tweets in a dozen years or so. I do use Twitter, however, to get basic information when certain public calamities arise.

I'm in the "Who Cares?" camp. One social media outlet does not the world make. People will have the same choice to engage on Twitter or not. Same as now. If it turned out that Twitter became a cesspool of useless crap then it could go hang out with MySpace. And frankly they can take Facebook with them.

Not on twitter, don't care.

There's actually a lot of good stuff on twitter; just have to sort through the shit. Musk is a factor b/c the fear is he will 'uncensor' it, as in allowing the more odious characters to post in the name of 'free speech.'

If Musk is smart, he won't do that - twitter has actually done well by having at least some basic ground rules. If he turns it into a no-rules free for all, he'll ruin the quality side of twitter. There will be prominent people with millions of followers who will boycott and move to instagram or facebook or whatever.

The smart move for Musk would be to basically leave it alone and to use it as a space to get free pub.

I'm fine with the rules -- as long as they're enforced equally on all sides.

I don't participate in Twitter. I hope Musk succeeds and buys the company. I hope so because I am in favor of limited censorship in speech and this:

I'm fine with the rules -- as long as they're enforced equally on all sides.

I don't tweet, but I'm pretty sure if he buys it the advertisers and users will flee and my stock will plummet.

I don't tweet, but I'm pretty sure if he buys it the advertisers and users will flee and my stock will plummet.

Why would advertisers and users leave the platform?

It will be the end times. Dogs and cats living together!

Seriously, I think he would want to even out the appearance of their moderation, make it less random and capricious.

Why are you pretending that you don't know the answer? You've been participating in these threads.

I don't know the answer. I don't know much about Elon Musk at all.

I'm in the "Who Cares?" camp. One social media outlet does not the world make. People will have the same choice to engage on Twitter or not. Same as now. If it turned out that Twitter became a cesspool of useless crap then it could go hang out with MySpace. And frankly they can take Facebook with them.
See this is the whole thing... what he said.
But I I also have no answer how to fix it.
Maybe off the grid tiny houses with lots of guns.... dunno

Not on Twitter. Don't know what Musk would do with Twitter. Not sure Musk is serious about buying Twitter. His offer for the company lacked key funding information. Poison pills in stock deals are common and Musk seems to have no plan for dealing with this one.

People as rich as Musk can be unpredictable. His offer to buy Twitter was made for a reason. But whether it was a serious offer or made to serve another purpose is impossible to say.

Back
Top Bottom