• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What would be your judgement of me based upon my car?

EMNofSeattle

No Russian ever called me deplorable
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
So my Mazda pickup I bought a year ago is toast, I'm entertaining an estimate for a mechanic but I doubt it will be less then what I'm willing to spend.

So I'm looking at other vehicles, now my father owns a Mercury Grand Marquis as his daily driver, big comfy sedan like the Crown Victoria.

And I do alot of long distance driving and these cars are really comfy for long trips, the only thing wrong is, since this is considered an "old man's car" would I be subject to scorn, ridicule and ostracization over this vehicle choice?

06-07_Mercury_Grand_Marquis.jpg

Why do you care? If gas mileage isn't an issue and you want a comfy ride, get an old Crown Vic or a Caddy. Screw what other people think.

So my Mazda pickup I bought a year ago is toast, I'm entertaining an estimate for a mechanic but I doubt it will be less then what I'm willing to spend.

So I'm looking at other vehicles, now my father owns a Mercury Grand Marquis as his daily driver, big comfy sedan like the Crown Victoria.

And I do alot of long distance driving and these cars are really comfy for long trips, the only thing wrong is, since this is considered an "old man's car" would I be subject to scorn, ridicule and ostracization over this vehicle choice?

I'd figure you were FBI.

"I wanted to be a cop but they wouldn't take me, so I got this thing that people will sometimes mistake for a cop car"

"I wanted to be a cop but they wouldn't take me, so I got this thing that people will sometimes mistake for a cop car"

Well it's not a police interceptor, it would have civilian styling, that's why you go with the mercury, so it doesn't have ford or police interceptor decals

hell of an upgrade

i will ridicule you if you don't drive it

hope that makes your choice easier

you're welcome

Yes. But if you sit in a parking lot next to a a hair driver and point it at people driving by? You will regain your youth watching people jam on breaks thinking they are gonna get a speeding ticket.

Driving that car would instantly make you old. :)

Seriously I owned a New Yorker for a few years in my early 30s. It's an "Old Man's car" but it was comfortable as hell and great on long trips. If that's your requirement go for it.

Get the Mercury but do a better job of parking it than this idiot.

Anyone who tries to ridicule you for your choice of vehicle is a superficial douchebag.

As i've gotten older, i place less value on what other people think and more value on my own personal comfort. As such, i think your reasoning is sound.

It might be a good idea to shop around a bit, find a car that's truly comfortable for you. I like my Ford truck, not only does the seat have 6-way adjustment (shift forward/backward, lean forward/backward, lumbar forward/backward), the steering wheel has telescoping adjustment and the god damn brake/gas pedals can be adjusted forward/backward. So it took the better part of an hour setting it up just right, but i have a very well-tailored seating position.

So my only caveat would be that there are other options that you might find even more comfortable.

Well it's not a police interceptor, it would have civilian styling, that's why you go with the mercury, so it doesn't have ford or police interceptor decals

Yeah, it's not as bad as a crown vic would be in that sense. I just don't get many opportunities for that sort of joke.

This placed I worked for as a kid to pay for school had 2 crown Vic's. I had to fuel them up all the time. It was HILARIOUS to watch people go from 60 to 45 as I cruised up behind them.

Cars do not "make the person".

If I were worried about my image, the last thing I would do is worry about what car I drive.

Cars do not "make the person".

If I were worried about my image, the last thing I would do is worry about what car I drive.

While that is true you also have to remember that the person decides what car they drive just like they decide what clothes they put on so it does say something about them when you look at the vehicle they choose

While that is true you also have to remember that the person decides what car they drive just like they decide what clothes they put on so it does say something about them when you look at the vehicle they choose

No disrespect intended, but I would laugh you outta my garage.

Most people need what is practical and affordable, but their eyes and ego override common sense.

Hey.... If you have the wiggle room with funds, then by all means....... go buy that badazz Audi.

No disrespect intended, but I would laugh you outta my garage.

Most people need what is practical and affordable, but their eyes and ego override common sense.

Hey.... If you have the wiggle room with funds, then by all means....... go buy that badazz Audi.

I think you missed my point. I'm not saying the car makes the man. I'm saying something different. The car you pick says something about YOU. You need one thing and you pick something impractical? What does that say?

You take a beater and spend a lot on rims? What does that say? See where I am going?

I bought a truck that put me in debt a little ways. But I will have it for a long time. 4 wheel drive. Reliable. 4 doors. Comfortable. I have good road tires. A small box in the back. It says I don't want anything fancy. Just something to get the job done.

If the OP goes with a reliable and safe and comfortable old man car that rides well? What does that say? No frills. Relaxed and unconcerned about appearances. Sort of.

Be yourself. If you can't find the car or truck you like make your own. Here's one that's popular in South Carolina. I wouldn't be surprised that the owner of this fine vehicle could make one slow run through downtown McBee, S.C. and have all the wimmens in town begging to have his baby.

homemade-cars-5.jpg

Be yourself. If you can't find the car or truck you like make your own. Here's one that's popular in South Carolina. I wouldn't be surprised that the owner of this fine vehicle could make one slow run through downtown McBee, S.C. and have all the wimmens in town begging to have his baby.

View attachment 67203099

Not sure what the laws are about building your own car like that, hopefully the chassis is well constructed and it's not held together with nothing more than what i can only assume are generous applications of Bondo

I was just wonder if that was bondo or spackling.
Not sure what the laws are about building your own car like that, hopefully the chassis is well constructed and it's not held together with nothing more than what i can only assume are generous applications of Bondo

I'm also wondering about the driveshaft. It has to be special made on account of the longer wheelbase. Maybe he made the driveshaft from a section of a highway light pole or a well turned piece of pine heartwood. :lol:

Everybody knows if you take two stop sign posts, weld them together you can use old nuts and bolts thorough the holes to balance it. Geeze, city people.
I'm also wondering about the driveshaft. It has to be special made on account of the longer wheelbase. Maybe he made the driveshaft from a section of a highway light pole or a well turned piece of pine heartwood. :lol:

Do you really think people give a tinker's dam what kind of cr you drive? You're much too pre-occupied with yourself. People are busy making a living, feeding their families, and primping into a mirror to give two l***** WHAT you drive.

If you're that worried about it, you're too young to drive. ;)

Back
Top Bottom