• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What would be considered a Libertarian Party "victory" in November?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

"Victory" not necessarily being literal, as in winning the White House (though I'm going to include that as a poll option anyway), but being a major step forward and something to legitimately build on.

"Victory" not necessarily being literal, as in winning the White House (though I'm going to include that as a poll option anyway), but being a major step forward and something to legitimately build on.

Gary Johnson actually being able to get a platform during the debates.

Getting to two percent of the vote would be nice :D

Yeah, my expectations are low.

finally getting someone to let them use their copyrighted music?

Gary Johnson actually being able to get a platform during the debates.

Probably, since that would give the Libertarians a bigger microphone. But the rules on that are very clear, and the Libertarians knew this when they offered a candidate for the presidential race.

BTW, it is worth noting that both Maine and Nebraska give an electoral vote to each of their congressional districts (2 ME, 3 NE) and two votes to the state as a whole. Anybody know if Johnson has a chance in any of these five districts?

The stoners get off their couch and vote - on the correct date. :mrgreen:

Have more seats in city councils, county commissions, school boards, etc, than they did. There's no victory in the Presidential election or even Congressional ones, since there's no chance they will get elected to any of those positions. What they need is to prove themselves as being better than the establishment parties and that's going to take a local effort to prove that they are qualified.

Have more seats in city councils, county commissions, school boards, etc, than they did. There's no victory in the Presidential election or even Congressional ones, since there's no chance they will get elected to any of those positions. What they need is to prove themselves as being better than the establishment parties and that's going to take a local effort to prove that they are qualified.

I find this idea absurd. It's basically, well, you have to prove yourself, while these other guys that never had to prove themselves in the same way and have proven over and over again to be completely unfit for the job are in by default.

Ah, I didn't read all the options. I voted for %10 of the vote, but being included in the debates would be much more impressive. Honestly, it's already a big deal that they had a couple of town halls.

I find this idea absurd. It's basically, well, you have to prove yourself, while these other guys that never had to prove themselves in the same way and have proven over and over again to be completely unfit for the job are in by default.

It sucks to be the underdog, but that's the reality that 3rd parties have to face. It's not fair, but it is reality and it's a reality that the 3rd party candidates need to face and start working with.

Probably, since that would give the Libertarians a bigger microphone. But the rules on that are very clear, and the Libertarians knew this when they offered a candidate for the presidential race.

BTW, it is worth noting that both Maine and Nebraska give an electoral vote to each of their congressional districts (2 ME, 3 NE) and two votes to the state as a whole. Anybody know if Johnson has a chance in any of these five districts?
Were the Libertarians given a part in the rule making process?

Agreed.

Most current high-level politicians actually did work their way up. It's rare that someone starts at House/Senate or above.

why do you feel you need a 3rd party?

Other.

The liberatrian party cannot win squat until elections are based on a run-off election system.

Other.

The liberatrian party cannot win squat until elections are based on a run-off election system.

Which gives "minority candidates" an unfair advantage...

What 3rd parties need to do is stop wasting their resources on fights they can't win and start fighting the ones they can win. Start winning local seats and then start pointing to what they can do, instead of spending all their resources failing to get anyone in any position to show what they can do.

Were the Libertarians given a part in the rule making process?

Irrelevent. You wanna run a campaign for an established position, you play according to the established rules.

A clear "victory" would be to beat Perot's numbers, by a lot.

What 3rd parties need to do is stop wasting their resources on fights they can't win and start fighting the ones they can win. Start winning local seats and then start pointing to what they can do, instead of spending all their resources failing to get anyone in any position to show what they can do.
Sometimes I question whether the Libertarian Party is serious, or if they're just playing politics. They need higher race candidates for exposure, but they do need to put actual effort and resources into local and/or state races first.

I see you like the status quo, of a failing system.

You favor stacking the deck. Noted.
:lamo

If you don't like the rules, then don't participate in the game. This is not a difficult concept.

If you don't like the rules, then don't participate in the game. This is not a difficult concept.

I don't think that's a good concept. Parties can participate in the game, and also legitimately note that the rules are stacked against them and work to change that.

Are you afraid your desired big government status quo wouldn't be able to withstand the free flow of alternative ideas?

Are you afraid your desired big government status quo wouldn't be able to withstand the free flow of alternative ideas?

And the chemtrails and the mind-altering devices and huh?

Back
Top Bottom