• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What will they think of next

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
These new instant setup tents have been around a while but they are new to me. I am buying one for a car camp trip I'm taking. My backpack tents to small for the queen size blow up mattress my wife insist on so I Goggled around and found this. So Fookin cool. No polls to put together and slide through channels where they get stuck or come apart and this things cheap. Sets up in 30 seconds, be sure to watch the video. Hooray for Wally World.:)

Ozark Trail Dome Tent - Walmart.com

Gee, thanks, Sawyer. Makes me want to go camping now :lol: . Those instant setup ones are cool. That's always the worst part of camping. That and tearing it down. I wonder how hard it would be to tear it down.

Yes, how come it took so long to come up with this idea.

I remember the old tents of matching the poles together and hammering in your anchors. And since one would only go camping once or twice a summer you would have to struggle in your head to remember how it was suppose to set up. I have fond memories of sitting on a mountain with this collapsed tent and poles strung around me wishing I just had a picture of what the tent looked like to help me.

But now, these new ones are so damn nice. The trick to camping is that queen size mattress your wife spoke about. That laying in a sleeping bag on the ground is for those under 30 yrs old and under 150 pounds.

Gee, thanks, Sawyer. Makes me want to go camping now :lol: . Those instant setup ones are cool. That's always the worst part of camping. That and tearing it down. I wonder how hard it would be to tear it down.

No tear down, you just fold it, roll it, put it away, I'm lovin this!

These new instant setup tents have been around a while but they are new to me. I am buying one for a car camp trip I'm taking. My backpack tents to small for the queen size blow up mattress my wife insist on so I Goggled around and found this. So Fookin cool. No polls to put together and slide through channels where they get stuck or come apart and this things cheap. Sets up in 30 seconds, be sure to watch the video. Hooray for Wally World.:)

$99.00. Wow!!!!

If I go camping I don't even use a tent. Believe it or not I do the "survivorman/man vs wild" thing.

That's an experience, but you know what? it may be difficult but we're still the same people we were 50,000 years ago... They survived hence I'm here today enjoying doing what they did.

I noticed that the video ended before they put the tent back into the handy carrying case.

That's because it will never fit back into the case again.

That's exactly what I was talking about - the "tear down" part is going to suuuuuuuuck.

If I go camping I don't even use a tent. Believe it or not I do the "survivorman/man vs wild" thing.

That's an experience, but you know what? it may be difficult but we're still the same people we were 50,000 years ago... They survived hence I'm here today enjoying doing what they did.

Guess you missed the part where I said my wife demands a Queen size blow up bed.:lol:

I compromise. I use a bivi bag.

Guess you missed the part where I said my wife demands a Queen size blow up bed.:lol:

IMO, the point of camping is the experience of the wilderness - not having the same experience one would have at home.

IMO, "real camping" is a difficult challenge.... It just seems there are a lot of people out there from the city or "urban/suburban" areas that just want the scenery - but that isn't camping that is just moving **** around..

When I go out all I have is a multi tool, a lighter, some fishing stuff and a gun - that's it.

I know it's not for everyone but survivalist knowledge is certainly a good skill. It's also fun.

I also enjoy the whole "camp scene" you meet new people and have a good time at camp sites...

I love camping, but am not a "roughing it" kind of girl. I'm too old to sleep on the cold, hard ground. I'm not one of these "have to have a flat screen in a cabin" kind of camper, but I can't sleep on a blanket on the ground. I sleep on an air mattress.

I love camping, but am not a "roughing it" kind of girl. I'm too old to sleep on the cold, hard ground. I'm not one of these "have to have a flat screen in a cabin" kind of camper, but I can't sleep on a blanket on the ground. I sleep on an air mattress.

hahaha...

Whats the point of camping then?

I go camping to get away from all that stuff...

For me it isn't just the cold, hard ground. It's the hot and humid air (no AC), bugs, lack of shower, no potty or cold water. To me deluxe camping includes a modern log cabin with all the conveniences and amenities, lake access, jet skis, stocked fridge etc. Roughing it wasn't fun in my 20's and would be pure hell now...lol

Well all I'm really getting away from is a mattress. We don't bring a TV, or anything. Just us, and food, and air mattresses. We usually camp in areas that have activities, so we are only there long enough to eat and sleep.

For me it isn't just the cold, hard ground. It's the hot and humid air (no AC), bugs, lack of shower, no potty or cold water. To me deluxe camping includes a modern log cabin with all the conveniences and amenities, lake access, jet skis, stocked fridge etc. Roughing it wasn't fun in my 20's and would be pure hell now...lol

:lol: I know. I do bring a small fan, but only because my husband has to sleep with a fan in his face because he has emphysema. Also, I never camp in a campground without bathroom and shower facilities. I would call myself a "mid-grade" camper. :D Don't have to have a lot of fancy stuff, but I have to have a shower and a toilet. I do well with like KOA campgrounds and stuff. I used to primitive camp when I was younger. Not fun!

That's not camping - that's changing the scenery not your lifestyle.

:lol: I know. I do bring a small fan, but only because my husband has to sleep with a fan in his face because he has emphysema.

We lost our power during the hurricanes of 2004 in FL and I used a battery powered fan (10") with a frozen plastic block in front of it at night to sleep. The freezer stayed cold for days.

I've seen people bring tents, sleeping bags, chairs, gas stoves, tables, portable water, food and they needed a huge SUV just to haul all the stuff.

I'm outdoors next to nature (back woods), using picnic tables and grills, water activities and fishing. Except I get to take a hot shower, sleep in AC and watch TV and play on my PC at night. It's as close to camping as I want to get anymore.

Disagree. Your style of camping is just different from others. Just because I can't go out and spear my own fish, or shoot my own deer doesn't mean I'm any less of a camper than you. I just choose to camp differently.

I'm outdoors next to nature (back woods), using picnic tables and grills, water activities and fishing. Except I get to take a hot shower, sleep in AC and watch TV and play on my PC at night. It's as close to camping as I want to get anymore.

I try to find a large park and see if I can cross it "survivor man" style. haha.

I'm in my mid 30's so I don't know if I will do it anymore because it's starting to get physically difficult... I wanna do it one more time.... Then I'll buy an RV and do what normal people do hahaha...

I try to find a large park and see if I can cross it "survivor man" style. haha.

I'm in my mid 30's so I don't know if I will do it anymore because it's starting to get physically difficult... I wanna do it one more time.... Then I'll buy an RV and do what normal people do hahaha...

When I was younger, I romanticized outdoor camping but after a few minimalist trips, I quickly understood modern civilization better. I slept on the ground easier because I was half in the bag. But after a few days of smelling like overripe eggs, itching from bites and scratches, being aware of snakes, spiders, scorpions and gators, I longed for home.

I know some people still love it in their middle age it's just a matter of preferences, conditioning and health.

When I was younger, I romanticized outdoor camping but after a few minimalist trips, I quickly understood modern civilization better. I slept on the ground easier because I was half in the bag. But after a few days of smelling like overripe eggs, itching from bites and scratches, being aware of snakes, spiders, scorpions and gators, I longed for home.

I know some people still love it in their middle age it's just a matter of preferences, conditioning and health.

I wipe mud all over my exposed areas to prevent the bugs.

The small things like that aren't fun but the adventure is, not to mention knowing that I can survive in the wild is certainly an asset not to mention it makes you feel good knowing you can do it.

I did it and do it that reason....

However there is nothing better than being on a clear water riverbank catching fish with no one within 10-15 miles of you.

I think everyone should try it....

IMO, the point of camping is the experience of the wilderness - not having the same experience one would have at home.

IMO, "real camping" is a difficult challenge.... It just seems there are a lot of people out there from the city or "urban/suburban" areas that just want the scenery - but that isn't camping that is just moving **** around..

When I go out all I have is a multi tool, a lighter, some fishing stuff and a gun - that's it.

I know it's not for everyone but survivalist knowledge is certainly a good skill. It's also fun.

I also enjoy the whole "camp scene" you meet new people and have a good time at camp sites...

We are talking apple oranges here. Me and my wife or my wife and I for the grammar police are just taking a pleasant anniversary trip to see the coast and have a nice time. We even plan on eating in a nice sea food restaurant or two instead of eating bugs. Personally I think we are doing pretty good, most people our age are in motor homes or 5 star hotels.

Sawyer be careful with these low end brands of tents. If you do decide to go this way make sure to do a test run at home before you leave on your trip. And while you have it up seam seal the crap out of it. Ozark Trail are notorious for leaking seams. I have had a couple. This will also give you the chance to make sure it can fit back in the bag.

If you don't mind spending a bit more go with the Coleman instant tent. It still needs a good bit of seam sealing but the quality is better than Ozark Trail. Hate to see you sleeping in puddles if it ends up raining.

I have Eureka Tents and even they need to occasionally need the seams sealed.

Back
Top Bottom