• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Will GOP Do Once ACA is Accepted?

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Figure this fight over Obamacare ends one day...maybe even soon. After all, the GOP can't just keep beating a dead horse forever. What then?

When we look back decades from now, one of the keys to understanding this period in our political history will be the story of how a set of market-based health insurance reforms that started as a proposal from the Heritage Foundation and then were successfully implemented by a Republican governor who later became the GOP presidential nominee, ended up being viewed by virtually all conservatives as not just an abomination but the very essence of statist oppression.

...The question is, if eventually they have no choice but to accept that the argument over the ACA is settled, what on earth will Republicans do with themselves? Because over the last four years, opposition to Obamacare has taken on such an extraordinary power within the movement that all other issues have paled before it.

What Happens to Conservatism When the Obamacare War Is Over?

Americans are changing their minds after seeing their healthcare costs rise, almost doubling, after ACA passed. Never mind the Congress exemption which in unconstitutional in its' self.

Figure this fight over Obamacare ends one day...maybe even soon. After all, the GOP can't just keep beating a dead horse forever. What then?

I'm sure they will go back to what ever the current progressive/liberal meme waging 'war on' is at the time.

carry on...

In a decade, Republicans will be trying to take credit for the ACA. They'll start emphasizing the whole "Romneycare" angle, because the people will have gotten used to the benefits they'll be enjoying from the ACA.

Yeah, we passed an unpopular law and went against the will of the people, but in a decade or so when you're all dependent on it and selfish over benefits that come about because of government coercion on your fellow Americans you will love it. That much we can promise.

You guys sound like douchebags. It's pretty goddamn pathetic that you think you can attack republicans on anything when this is your argument.

Yeah, we passed an unpopular law and went against the will of the people, but in a decade or so when you're all dependent on it and selfish over benefits that come about because of government coercion on your fellow Americans you will love it. That much we can we can promise.

You guys sound like douchebags. It's pretty goddamn pathetic that you think you can attack republicans on anything when this is your argument.

I don't know about the douchebags portion of this post, but the rest of it makes perfect sense to me.

I don't know about the douchebags portion of this post, but the rest of it makes perfect sense to me.

They are absolutely douchebags. It's always the same plan with these guys whenever they start a new entitlement. They pass something that the majority of the country does not want and when questioned about it they say "you will love it, we promise." Once the benefits start rolling in which always come about from coercion, people become dependent and selfish over those benefits, and as you would expect refuse to them go. You can see this wonderfully when looking at Social Security or Medicaid as usually speaking the younger population wants no part of it, but as the population gets older the support rises and by the time they are collecting most people support it full stop. I know their game only because they have played the same cards so many times over the years.

When dealing with most people in politics it's like going one on one with a guy in basketball that always go right and always finishes with the same hand. You just know what is coming next.

What really gets me though is that these very same people hate selfish people and talk about how the United States is a democracy. For some reason when they enable selfishness and when they are going against the will of the people it doesn't count. Apparently the will of the people only matters when talking about abortion and selfishness is only bad when those that are selfish are rich. :/

Last edited:
Americans are changing their minds after seeing their healthcare costs rise, almost doubling, after ACA passed. Never mind the Congress exemption which in unconstitutional in its' self.

So, I guess I'll count you among the continuing dead horse beaters.

Yeah, we passed an unpopular law and went against the will of the people, but in a decade or so when you're all dependent on it and selfish over benefits that come about because of government coercion on your fellow Americans you will love it. That much we can promise.

Ah. I see we have another dead horse beater.

there are some pretty big potential issues with the ACA. I suggest checking out Trudy Lieberman's series at Columbia Journalism Review titled "lessons from Massachusetts". So just assuming it will be accepted without a at least a much needed overhaul is rather misguided

They are absolutely douchebags. It's always the same plan with these guys whenever they start a new entitlement. They pass something that the majority of the country does not want and when questioned about it they say "you will love it, we promise." Once the benefits start rolling in which always come about from coercion, people become dependent and selfish over those benefits, and as you would expect refuse to them go. You can see this wonderfully when looking at Social Security or Medicaid as usually speaking the younger population wants no part of it, but as the population gets older the support rises and by the time they are collecting most people support it full stop. I know their game only because they have played the same cards so many times over the years.

When dealing with most people in politics it's like going one on one with a guy in basketball that always go right and always finishes with the same hand. You just know what is coming next.

What really gets me though is that these very same people hate selfish people and talk about how the United States is a democracy. For some reason when they enable selfishness and when they are going against the will of the people it doesn't count. Apparently the will of the people only matters when talking about abortion and selfishness is only bad when those that are selfish are rich. :/
You have no idea what you are even mad about. Do ya?

For most of us, the insurance has not changed one iota. In fact, my policies and premiums are exactly the same as they were last year.

All the ACA does is ensure that people cannot be denied coverage for existing conditions, mandates that everyone not currently covered get covered and allows young adults to mooch off mom and dad's plan for a few more years, extending it from 24 to 26. What's your beef?

there are some pretty big potential issues with the ACA. I suggest checking out Trudy Lieberman's series at Columbia Journalism Review titled "lessons from Massachusetts". So just assuming it will be accepted without a at least a much needed overhaul is rather misguided

Yeah, I'd like to see it overhauled to single payer, gvt funded insurance with plan B, C and D riders, like medicare.

FOr most of us, the insurance has not changed on iota. All the ACA does is ensure that people cannot be denied coverage for existing conditions, mandates that everyone not currently covered get covered and allows young adults to mooch off mom and dad's plan for a few more years, extending it from 24 to 26. What's your beef?

Two big problems on those points as they have been playing out in Mass: There is a marked shortage of full paying healthy adults signing up through the exchanges. Which is exactly what you don't want to happen. How the individual market was tacked onto the small business market drastically increased premiums for the later, leading to all manner of benefit cuts and care restrictions

PS the irony here is if republicans proposed delivering a captive market to the insurance industry most of you would be ****ting yourselves. And yes, I understand it's required to make the system sustainable. It doesn't change the fact that it seems the worst solution possible to our healthcare problems

Yeah, I'd like to see it overhauled to single payer, gvt funded insurance with plan B, C and D riders, like medicare.

A govt option would have even worked wonders, but Obama being the weak executive that he is, never really pushed those things. Hell, he pretty much didn't push anything until after the democratic congress was left licking it's wounds from internal fights and battles with the republicans.

Such a shame considering his popularity levels att and access to a super majority in the senate

Pretty sure they thought this exact same thing, about the people who fought the laws of slavery in the 1800's.

Two big problems on those points as they have been playing out in Mass: There is a marked shortage of full paying healthy adults signing up through the exchanges. Which is exactly what you don't want to happen. How the individual market was tacked onto the small business market drastically increased premiums for the later, leading to all manner of benefit cuts and care restrictions

PS the irony here is if republicans proposed delivering a captive market to the insurance industry most of you would be ****ting yourselves. And yes, I understand it's required to make the system sustainable. It doesn't change the fact that it seems the worst solution possible to our healthcare problems
It was the worst possible solution. But, no one was willing to put their nuts on the block and push for taxpayer funded UHC, Medicare for all. So, it is what it is---a law that he GOP hates, but actually designed.

The GOP loved Romneycare before Obama co-opted it pushed for it; then they hated it.

Pretty sure they thought this exact same thing, about the people who fought the laws of slavery in the 1800's.

Yeah, because making insurance available to all Americans is soooo much like shackling them and sending them out into the blazing hot sun to pick cotton. :roll:

Yeah, it totally violates the 28th amendment!

Article I.

Section 8.

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts, and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States : but all Duties, Imposts, and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States; "

By exempting them from ACA, Congress has exempted themselves from a potential tax (Failure to get Healthcare) and are in violation of the constitution by not making the tax law uniform throughout the United States.

Never mind the fact that this exemption violates fairness and equality, the principles in why this nation was founded.

For most of us, the insurance has not changed one iota. In fact, my policies and premiums are exactly the same as they were last year.

All the ACA does is ensure that people cannot be denied coverage for existing conditions, mandates that everyone not currently covered get covered and allows young adults to mooch off mom and dad's plan for a few more years, extending it from 24 to 26. What's your beef?

Which one of those isn't coercion on american citizens? Hell, the first one is involuntary servitude. :lamo

It was the worst possible solution. But, no one was willing to put their nuts on the block and push for taxpayer funded UHC, Medicare for all. So, it is what it is---a law that he GOP hates, but actually designed.

Taxpayer funded UHC? Yeah, because I really want to pay for other peoples healthcare needs and be forced onto another government program. That sounds like my idea of a good time.

Ah. I see we have another dead horse beater.

I guess you don't understand that there is no such thing as a dead horse in politics.

You're assuming the law will succeed. I'm betting it won't.

Article I.

Section 8.

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts, and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States : but all Duties, Imposts, and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States; "

By exempting them from ACA, Congress has exempted themselves from a potential tax (Failure to get Healthcare) and are in violation of the constitution by not making the tax law uniform throughout the United States.

Never mind the fact that this exemption violates fairness and equality, the principles in why this nation was founded.

Has congress actually exempted itself from the penalty? The only exemption I'm aware of has to do with the fact they receive an employer subsidy covering 75% of their Obamacare insurance that other large employers cannot offer to their employees.

Actually you are wrong. Look up the rate explosion for young and healthy Americans since the law was adopted. The same people they need to sign up to keep prices reasonable for everyone else are being priced out of the market. This has death spiral written all over it.

Back
Top Bottom