• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What were great things done by Reagen?

Alex

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Right before his reelection, Reagen's approval rating was very low. He was reelected anyway. I am very confused about this. Anyone out there know much about him? I do not remember anything about him that is important or significant.

What were great things done by Reagen in his 2 terms as president? Why was he reelected?

Please first I am not going to let you desecrate his name by spelling it wrong.
It's Reagan.
AND NO I DID NOT COPY AND PASTE THIS. THIS IS ALL MY WORK ABOUT HIM.

In 1981 when Ronald Reagan entered the White House and immediately implemented a dramatic new economic policy agenda that was dubbed "Reaganomics."
A popular term used to refer to the economic policies of Ronald Reagan, the 40th U.S. President (1981–1989), which called for widespread tax cuts, decreased social spending, increased military spending, and the deregulation of domestic markets.
Reagan also believed in increasing military spending to defend against the communists such as Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI)
Reagan obtained legislation to increase economic growth, lower unemployment, and curb inflation.
Reagan pushed for the deployment of the Peacekeeper missile system negotiating nuclear arms reduction treaties.
Reagan increase defense spending by 35 percent during his two terms.
Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall speech in West Berlin, Germany
He also deploy U.S. Pershing II missiles in Germany in response to the Soviet stationing of SS-20 missiles near Europe.
He pushed for SDI, that was rightly understood by the Soviets as both a financial challenge and an intimidating expression of the power of U.S. scientific innovation.
Ronald Reagan reason for giving Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall speech was because he believed it went against liberty and peace

ALSO HERE IS SOME Negitive THINGGS ABOUT HIM

Iran Contra affair

Two members of administration, National Security Advisor John Poindexter and Col. Oliver North had worked to sell arms to the Iranian government and give the profits to the anti-Communist Contras guerillas in Nicaragua, who were engaged in a bloody civil war.
These actions were against congress and a investigation than occurred
Reagan pleaded he knew nothing but admitted that he had supported the initial sale of arms to Iran.
But on the grounds that such sales were supposed to help secure the release of Americans being held hostage by the Iranian-backed Hezbollah terrorist group in Lebanon.

TOO SUM IT ALL UP THIS WAS HIS ACCOMPLISHMENTS

Increasing military spending
Deploying U.S. Pershing II missiles in Germany in response to the Soviet stationing of SS-20 missiles near Europe
Pushing for the deployment of the Peacekeeper missile system
Proposing the Strategic Defense Initiative
Arming and training anti-communist groups
Lowering taxes significantly, reversing a historic trend towards higher taxes
Increasing the federal deficit
Greatly escalating the "war on drugs"
Ending the high inflation that damaged the economy under his predecessors.
Helping to 'win' the Cold War

This is why I love the guy. My fav. President.

Reagan is a jackass, he collapsed the USSR and now those countries are poorer since the USSR, a lot more corruption, and Russia can't guard its nukes, and the poverty level has dramaticaly increased, Armenia and Azerbaijan have been at war, the life expectancy has dropped many years. "Winning" the cold war has introduced more suffering

Peacekeeping Missle system? Ugh... don't get the raging pascifist started... :lol:

Comrade Brian said:
. "Winning" the cold war has introduced more suffering
You really think that? A nuclear war between these "Soviet and the US" would have caused more damage than those little wars and caused much more damage to the Worlds economy that what has happened to Eastern Europe. It was a matter of time for just one of those Superpower to fall. USSR just fell faster.

Gandhi>Bush said:
Peacekeeping Missle system? Ugh... don't get the raging pascifist started... :lol:
Do you even know what it is?

Peace keeping missle system was a treaty to reduce Nuclear arms. Jeeze. Read.

One of the greatest things Reagan did was accept responsibility for the actions of his administration. He publicly apologized for the Arms for Hostages affair. That took a level of integrity that few admins have had. The current admin could learn a great deal from Reagan when it comes to accepting responsibility.

Shadowlands said:
Do you even know what it is?

Peace keeping missle system was a treaty to reduce Nuclear arms. Jeeze. Read.

I was just joking around dude.

Shadowlands said:
You really think that? A nuclear war between these "Soviet and the US" would have caused more damage than those little wars and caused much more damage to the Worlds economy that what has happened to Eastern Europe. It was a matter of time for just one of those Superpower to fall. USSR just fell faster.

But throughout the cold war, the US had more nuclear weapons, except for a few of years during brezhnev. And the US has invaded russia before. I wouldn't want a nuclear war, but the US pissed off the USSR more than they've done to us

Comrade Brian said:
But throughout the cold war, the US had more nuclear weapons, except for a few of years during brezhnev. And the US has invaded russia before. I wouldn't want a nuclear war, but the US pissed off the USSR more than they've done to us
It was dubbed the "COLD WAR FOR A REASON"

Sounds to me he was a war happy president, just like bush. Not a president that I would want.

Two members of administration, National Security Advisor John Poindexter and Col. Oliver North had worked to sell arms to the Iranian government and give the profits to the anti-Communist Contras guerillas in Nicaragua, who were engaged in a bloody civil war.
Reagan pleaded he knew nothing but admitted that he had supported the initial sale of arms to Iran.
But on the grounds that such sales were supposed to help secure the release of Americans being held hostage by the Iranian-backed Hezbollah terrorist group in Lebanon.

America got the money through drugs, I believe. So not only was his Administration bad, but it was also Hippocratic.

Increasing the federal deficit

That's a good achievemnet?

Increasing the amount of money we lack doesn't make it a good thing, matey.

Last edited:
Sorry about the misspelling. These are all very interesting points. Please keep them coming. I know many people really appreciated Reagan and I have always wondered why. Seems like lower taxes and the push to end the Cold War are the most significant of his accomplishments. I also like the fact that his administration is said to have taken responsibility for their actions.

This was a bit of a set up IMO. The Democrats supported the communists (no surprise there) and made the law knowing President Reagan was against it. They salivated over the thought of impeaching him over it. I can't believe I sided with such a rotten party. Thank God I came to my senses. :doh

Arch Enemy said:
America got the money through drugs, I believe. So not only was his Administration bad, but it was also Hippocratic.

That's a good achievemnet?

Increasing the amount of money we lack doesn't make it a good thing, matey.
I AM NOT A BIAS PERSON I AM STATING ALL FACTS I HAD ABOUT HIM AT THAT MOMENT.

Just to clarify Democrats support of the Communists leading up to Iran-Contra.
Some of the least-noted of Mr. Reagan's accomplishments were in foreign policy. Arms control, Nicaragua, and, in recent years, the Iran/Contra affair have received the most attention. Mr. Reagan's inability to persuade Congress to prevent the Sandinistas from solidifying a second Communist regime in this hemisphere-not the Iran/Contra affair-was the president's worst foreign policy failure.
But in the meantime, passing almost unnoticed, has been a worldwide spread of democratic capitalism that in no small measure owes itself to Mr. Reagan's commitment. The democratic tide has swept Central and South America and Asia. The Philippines, Taiwan, and South Korea all have liberalized their societies to degrees that would have seemed incredible in the 1970s, and may not have been possible without the administration's finetuned support.
Only Grenada has been liberated during the Reagan era. But no nation has fallen to Communism, and the Soviets have pulled out of Afghanistan.

Source

Back
Top Bottom