• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What We Know About The 20 Universities With The Most Coronavirus Cases

NWRatCon

Eco**Social Marketeer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
What We Know About The 20 Universities With The Most Coronavirus Cases (Forbes)
What do these hot-spot institutions have in common?

Seven are in the Southeastern Conference, one of the Power 5 conferences still determined to play a football schedule in the fall.

Most are in the southern part of the United States. So much for the goofy theory that warm weather will help make the virus “just go away.” The states of Alabama, North Carolina and Texas each have three institutions on the list, and Georgia, Iowa and Illinois each have two.

All but six of the universities - UNC (Chapel Hill), North Carolina State University, East Carolina University, University of Kentucky, Illinois State, and the University of Illinois - are in states led by Republican governors, who have generally encouraged their schools to open their campuses in the fall at the same time they have been less likely than their Democrat counterparts to take aggressive steps like mandating the wearing of masks or issuing executive orders to close establishments to stem outbreaks of the virus. Some have even interfered with local mandates intended to keep the virus in check. This finding is consistent with research by John Barnshaw of Ad Astra and Chris Marsicano of Davidson College who found that if a state voted for Donald Trump in the 2016 election, the colleges in that state were significantly more likely to have planned to deliver more in-person instruction in the fall. This was also true for states with Republican governors and Republican control of legislatures.

Many of the universities on the list did not require students to submit a Covid-19 test result prior to returning to campus, and even fewer are requiring random or repeated testing after they arrive. Nonetheless, Baylor is in the top twenty despite requiring students to submit a negative test result before arriving on campus. And the University of Illinois, widely recognized for requiring “all university faculty, staff and students participating in any on-campus activities... to participate in on-campus Covid-19 testing twice per week and receive negative results at least every four days” also made the list. Rigorous testing may be a key ingredient to an effective strategy, but it does not guarantee success.

One of the Universities over 1000 cases is Not in the South.

I'd be interested in the per-capita rates vs. the absolute numbers.

That would provide us with much more useful information.

I'd be interested in the per-capita rates vs. the absolute numbers.

That would provide us with much more useful information.
I'd not checked the NYT database. Well, it doesn't appear searchable on that basis. I also learned that medical staff are included in the count, which seriously skews the outcome. In the case of University of Alabama, that is 3/4 of their cases.
The Times is counting reported cases among university students and employees in all fields, including those whose roles as doctors, nurses, pharmacists or medical students puts them at higher risk of contracting the virus. At least four universities that have a broad range of programs, including medical units, have reported dozens of cases tied to health care. Those cases are listed above as a subset of their universitywide totals.
I'm seriously disappointed in the database.

Last edited:
Note: 4 of those 6 Dem gov states are NC majority Rep legislatures and hardly considered politically liberal universities (other than that conservatives think all education is dominated by liberal instruction).

i was gonna mention that.

North Carolina had a Republican SUPER Majority not long ago (with a Republican Governor). They still have a Republican Majority.

The only reason the Republican Governor was voted out was because the Republican SUPER Majority and the Republican Gov went nuts with their power. That's where that MASSIVE Republican gerrymandering crap came from.

What we know is that young liberals are spreading this by having parties, etc. and then blaming everyone else for the fact that they can't follow guidelines.
Why, when people are having a perfectly reasonable discussion, do you feel the need to jump in with obviously partisan stupidity having almost no correlation to the subject or reality? Just curious. Does it get your rocks off? Is it "pwning the libs"? Or is it just "I like being a troll"? (No need to respond, I won't see it. Those are called "rhetorical questions." "A rhetorical question is a question that is not asked in order to receive an answer from the audience or reader. It's just posed to make a point.")

Why, when people are having a perfectly reasonable discussion, do you feel the need to jump in with obviously partisan stupidity having almost no correlation to the subject or reality? Just curious. Does it get your rocks off? Is it "pwning the libs"? Or is it just "I like being a troll"? (No need to respond, I won't see it. Those are called "rhetorical questions." "A rhetorical question is a question that is not asked in order to receive an answer from the audience or reader. It's just posed to make a point.")

What percentage of non-Trump-related threads go a single page without someone complaining about him?

i was gonna mention that.

North Carolina had a Republican SUPER Majority not long ago (with a Republican Governor). They still have a Republican Majority.

The only reason the Republican Governor was voted out was because the Republican SUPER Majority and the Republican Gov went nuts with their power. That's where that MASSIVE Republican gerrymandering crap came from.

How odd that someone would go nuts with power, being given an inch and taking a mile while overstepping all bounds of decency and norm when getting away with it they go beyond the beyond with each successive step. I'm trying to think of who would be a good/bad example of such...Oh well. I'm sure it'll come to mind, sometime.

Back
Top Bottom