• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

what was your first cell phone?

Helix

Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
i was just thinking about how much they've changed over the years.

this was my first one :

collectorsquest.jpg

my folks bought it when i started driving. it was only for emergency use though; i think it was like two bucks a minute in 1991 dollars.

what was yours?

mine was a dinky flip phone but I do not recall the brand--Kyocera or something like that maybe

3310-700x700.jpg

Nokia 3310, I think. Got it in 1999.

My first mobile phone was long before cell phones. A large contraption hard wired/mounted with roof mount antenna and operator assisted only ( no direct dial ).

Thom Paine

My first mobile phone was long before cell phones. A large contraption hard wired/mounted with roof mount antenna and operator assisted only ( no direct dial ).

Thom Paine

When I was a kid I knew someone who had that set up. Basically like a party line CB

Some old samsung phone that had that flip thing.
Looked a lot like this one, but it wasn't this one.

When I was a kid I knew someone who had that set up. Basically like a party line CB

heh, heh, heh.....Yeah. You could speak normally until the last word of your sentence; then one must say 'over' .... to allow incoming... you could easily speak over the other party because it had a handset mic/key.

My first direct dial mobile analog phone was about 1982, I think, it also was a similar monstrosity... save for a push button numbered handset ( much like a princess style home phone ). But.. no more "over roger and out" :lol:

Thom Paine

heh, heh, heh.....Yeah. You could speak normally until the last word of your sentence; then one must say 'over' .... to allow incoming... you could easily speak over the other party because it had a handset mic/key.

My first direct dial mobile analog phone was about 1982, I think, it also was a similar monstrosity... save for a push button numbered handset ( much like a princess style home phone ). But.. no more "over roger and out" :lol:

Thom Paine

I remember seeing those on TV and in movies, but never in real life. Bag phones and the things that looked like cordless phones with the long pull out antennae I think were the first real cell phones I recall seeing. I knew someone who still has their bag phone, though they upgraded to a flip phone a year or two ago. I personally think phones have gotten too small. They are too annoying to deal with the more they move away from being a phone toward being a portable computer.

m03.png

LG Flip Phone VX something or other. Worked well, probably best phone I ever had.

I remember seeing those on TV and in movies, but never in real life. Bag phones and the things that looked like cordless phones with the long pull out antennae I think were the first real cell phones I recall seeing. I knew someone who still has their bag phone, though they upgraded to a flip phone a year or two ago. I personally think phones have gotten too small. They are too annoying to deal with the more they move away from being a phone toward being a portable computer.

Now I'm starting too feel REALLY old !! I read that the first computer I bought is in museums now :shock: It was an IBM-xt with the exceptional capacity of 10m megs of RAM... more power than the space shuttles at that time ( I heard )...and a 132 column dot matrix printer wit a new to market color monitor... modem ?? what's a modem ?? :lamo wow! How times have changed. The one comforting thought is my generation got all this tech started with nothing more than a slide rule ( do you know what that is ? ) and a pencil and paper. We also replaced the abacus with a hand crank calculator.

Thom Paine

Now I'm starting too feel REALLY old !! I read that the first computer I bought is in museums now :shock: It was an IBM-xt with the exceptional capacity of 10m megs of RAM... more power than the space shuttles at that time ( I heard )...and a 132 column dot matrix printer wit a new to market color monitor... modem ?? what's a modem ?? :lamo wow! How times have changed. The one comforting thought is my generation got all this tech started with nothing more than a slide rule ( do you know what that is ? ) and a pencil and paper. We also replaced the abacus with a hand crank calculator.

Thom Paine

Yes I know what a slide rule is. In fact, I used to be that geek who used a slide rule instead of a calculator. They are pretty easy once you get your bearings with one. My kindergarten class had an abacus but all we ever did was slide the colored things back and forth :)

I have some old computers I have gathered here and there. I think a 286 is the oldest I have that still works--maybe a 386, running on a QuickDOS OS. We don't use them much anymore, but I needed them at one point a few years back to be able to access some really old business docs on those floppy disks (the real floppy disks not the 3.5 ones). I think I still might have a few shareware games for them such as they were. I think one is a precursor to myst with zero graphics. You just had to move from place to place based on questions and responses. "What do you want to do now" "Climb up the chimney?" "You are not Santa Clause. What do you want to do now?" "Look east" "There is nothing there. What do you want to do now?"

i was just thinking about how much they've changed over the years.

this was my first one :

View attachment 67153491

my folks bought it when i started driving. it was only for emergency use though; i think it was like two bucks a minute in 1991 dollars.

what was yours?

I think mine was a Motorola bag phone as well...in about 1995. I don't remember it being that expensive to use, though.

We've come a long way, baby!

That's easy. I've never had a cell phone. :)

I think mine was a Motorola bag phone as well...in about 1995. I don't remember it being that expensive to use, though.

We've come a long way, baby!

the price dropped fairly quickly. two bucks a minute was the price quoted to me on October 12 of 1991 when my dad was explaining to me why it would be a poor idea to use it to chat with my girlfriend*.

*yeah, i remember the damned date. :lol:

That's easy. I've never had a cell phone. :)

Now, I'm in Luv ................. Ya' want my cell number? :mrgreen:

old fashioned is the latest 'in' thing.. is it called 'retro'?

have a great day DiAnna

Thom Paine

I heard a recording just the other day with Frank Sinatra singing "It was a very good year...."about all the women he remembered from different times of his life! Nice song! :thumbs:

Good evening, AP. :2wave:

Good evening pg. It really was my very first "cell" phone. How far we come along as we move through life...

This was my first phone. I wasn't allowed to have one until I could pay my bill and had a job.

Verizon-LG-VX8300-cellphone.jpg

Something very similar to this. Had it less than a year before I upgraded.

0061696001965_500X500.jpg

I heard a recording just the other day with Frank Sinatra singing "It was a very good year...."about all the women he remembered from different times of his life! Nice song! :thumbs:

:2wave:

Howdy P,

One of my favorites; I remember when it was first on the radio, '65 or '66 I think; Liked it then and as it has turned out could be partially thematic of my wonderful and adventurous life.
Thanks for the reminder... I'm off to youtube for a few. :mrgreen:

Have a nice eve P,

Thom Paine

Back
Top Bottom