• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

what was your first cell phone?

Howdy P,

One of my favorites; I remember when it was first on the radio, '65 or '66 I think; Liked it then and as it has turned out could be partially thematic of my wonderful and adventurous life.
Thanks for the reminder... I'm off to youtube for a few. :mrgreen:

I especially liked it when he sang "when I was thirty five...and their chauffeurs would drive...". I have to get that song! :thumbs:

Good evening, Thom Paine. :2wave:

Ok. So about maybe 8 or so years ago. I borrow my father in law's truck to move something. I drive the truck to my house and about half way there, the acceleration starts acting funny and it starts making a squeaky noise. I ignore it, because I know nothing about vehicles at the time and coax it into my neighborhood. About a third of the way in my neighborhood, smoke starts coming out of the vents. So I park the car and open the hood to see whats going on and VHOOM, there is fire.

I am with out a cell phone at the time and none of the neighbors seem to be home. So I send my wife at the time to the house to call my father in law and I stay with the truck, because, I just couldn't see abandoning a burning vehicle going well.

I flag down a couple of cars and on the third car, I ask if they have a cell phone and, she just points behind her and drives off.

On comes someone who works for the state patrol who lives in the neighborhood. I explain the situation, he tells me to get away from the vehicle and calls it in.

The fire truck arrives and tells me to wait. About 3 minutes later, a big fireball erupts from the hood and the fireman nods and then starts to proceed to hose it down. The flames were intense enough that the frame of the truck was warped at this point.

So they get it under control and leave the hose running, I guess making sure any cinders were doused.

along comes my father in law and the wife at the time comes back from the other direction. He immediately blames me until the firemen inform him that it was likely an engine problem and I had nothing to do with it.

Then here comes to tow truck and my father in law gets pissed again, because he could have towed it and saved money. So he tells the tow truck to take it back to his house.

The next day, I got a prepaid cell phone in case of an emergency :)

Now I'm starting too feel REALLY old !! I read that the first computer I bought is in museums now :shock: It was an IBM-xt with the exceptional capacity of 10m megs of RAM.…

10 megabytes of RAM? I doubt that. The XT directly supported less than 1 megabyte of RAM. 640K was the upper limit.

You must be thinking of the hard drive. Ten megabytes sounds like a plausible size for a hard drive of that vintage.

I cut my teeth on the Apple ][. It only directly supported 48K of RAM, and initially, we only had a cassette tape recorder to save and load programs and data; later adding a floppy drive with a capacity of 140K. I remember seeing an ad, in that time period, for a hard drive for the Apple ][; five megabytes in size, costing five thousand dollars.

Last edited:
Some old samsung phone that had that flip thing.
Looked a lot like this one, but it wasn't this one.

That was my second phone.

10 megabytes of RAM? I doubt that. The XT directly supported less than 1 megabyte of RAM. 640K was the upper limit.

You must be thinking of the hard drive. Ten megabytes sounds like a plausible size for a hard drive of that vintage.

I cut my teeth on the Apple ][. It only directly supported 48K of RAM, and initially, we only had a cassette tape recorder to save and load programs and data; later adding a floppy drive with a capacity of 140K. I remember seeing an ad, in that time period, for a hard drive for the Apple ][; five megabytes in size, costing five thousand dollars.

OOPS ! :slapme: :slapme: You are correct; I wish It was a typo on my part but it wasn't... I improperly id'd the memory... it was ROM ( hard drive ) as you noted. Thanks for catching that... I probably need to defrag my own memory storage.. :mrgreen:

Have a great day, Mr. B

Thom Paine

my first phone with a color screen :

sony-ericsson-t310-big.jpg

it could take pictures, also, but you had to plug in the mini camera module. the pictures were fairly granulated and poor quality, but i remember being excited about it anyway. this was also the first phone i ever sent a text with.

it was plastic, but also pretty tough. i work on the second floor, and dropped it in the stairwell. it fell three stories to the basement and landed on concrete. it broke the back cover, but after i taped it back on, it was fine. i still have it, though the battery eventually had to be tossed.

my first phone that could play music / minimal internet capability :

LG-Chocolate-VX8550-Black-b1-lg_vx8550k_verizon.jpg

i loved this one. technically not a smart phone, but close.

OOPS ! :slapme: :slapme: You are correct; I wish It was a typo on my part but it wasn't... I improperly id'd the memory... it was ROM ( hard drive ) as you noted. Thanks for catching that... I probably need to defrag my own memory storage.. :mrgreen:

Have a great day, Mr. B

Thom Paine

No, ROM is something else.

ROM = Read Only Memory. It was memory with fixed content, that couldn't be changed, usually containing—in computers of that vintage—just the very basic firmware required for the computer to boot up and load an operating system from a cassette tape, floppy disk, or hard drive.

Last edited:
No, ROM is something else.

ROM = Read Only Memory. It was memory with fixed content, that couldn't be changed, usually containing—in computers of that vintage—just the very basic firmware required for the computer to boot up and load an operating system from a cassette tape, floppy disk, or hard drive.

:doh Once again.. Correct amundo Mr. B ..... I must defrag my memory banks... I seem not to know what I remembered I knew !! :lamo it's good I learned to laugh at myself years ago....Ahh I've never known enough about these things... Uh. I gotta' reboot.
Thx again
Have a great day

Thom Paine

I was issued with one when my community team colleague went on holiday..

motorola-first_cell_phone.jpg

It only took me two days to lock myself out, and we had to wait till he came back to unlock it!

tin-can-telephone.jpg

It didn't have much range and my "circle of friends" was kind of limited but the monthly subscription was cheap.

I think my first one was a Sony Ericsson T61Z. I got it when I graduated high school. If I remember right it was a giant piece of crap.

Sony_Ericsson_T61Z_1.jpg

Uhh... I don't remember. Some big herky flip phone thing. Think it was a Motorola something.

I've slept since then.

Nokia 3390. Contrary to popular belief about their indestructibility, I destroyed three of the things before I switched to a different brand.

To be fair, though, I've destroyed even more of those.

Back
Top Bottom