• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What was Trump doing with the documents he still had at Mar-a-Lago?

NewfieMom

I read, therefore I am.
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
I am interested in what former President Trump was doing with the documents he retained from the cache he removed from The White House and did not return to The National Archives. I have attempted to see what crime he might, allegedly, have been committing with them. According to experts from the Department of Justice and the FBI speaking on television, when the the DOJ applied for a search warrant a federal judge or magistrate would demand proof of an ongoing crime, not simply the original crime of removing the documents, which are potentially dangerous since they are classified, and the original crime of violating The Presidential Records Act.

The Department of Justice may be holding what was in the search warrant close to the vest. On television commentators have said he might be flushing documents down the Mar-a-Lago toilets as he flushed documents down White House toilets or eating them as he is alleged to have done or burning them as Mark Meadows is alleged to have done. There was also a videotape of the former president hosting Russian dignitaries in the Oval Office as he proudly showed them classified American material.

I wonder when we will learn what President Trump was suspected of doing with the documents he withheld and if he was using them to help any other foreign power or powers. I also wonder which newspaper will be the one to find out the answer. I am betting it will be either a reporter or reporters from "The New York Times" or "The Washington Post". Supposedly Donald Trump and his legal team have a copy of the search warrant. I do not know if the current crime with which he had to be accused had to be written in in the search warrant or if it could be told orally to the judge or magistrate, but allegedly there had to be one in order for a search warrant to issued. Allegedly there had to be present danger of letting the subpoenaed materials stay where they were, danger of a crime.

I am interested in what former President Trump was doing with the documents he retained from the cache he removed from The White House and did not return to The National Archives. I have attempted to see what crime he might, allegedly, have been committing with them. According to experts from the Department of Justice and the FBI speaking on television, when the the DOJ applied for a search warrant a federal judge or magistrate would demand proof of an ongoing crime, not simply the original crime of removing the documents, which are potentially dangerous since they are classified, and the original crime of violating The Presidential Records Act.

The Department of Justice may be holding what was in the search warrant close to the vest. On television commentators have said he might be flushing documents down the Mar-a-Lago toilets as he flushed documents down White House toilets or eating them as he is alleged to have done or burning them as Mark Meadows is alleged to have done. There was also a videotape of the former president hosting Russian dignitaries in the Oval Office as he proudly showed them classified American material.

I wonder when we will learn what President Trump was suspected of doing with the documents he withheld and if he was using them to help any other foreign power or powers. I also wonder which newspaper will be the one to find out the answer. I am betting it will be either a reporter or reporters from "The New York Times" or "The Washington Post". Supposedly Donald Trump and his legal team have a copy of the search warrant. I do not know if the current crime with which he had to be accused had to be written in in the search warrant or if it could be told orally to the judge or magistrate, but allegedly there had to be one in order for a search warrant to issued. Allegedly there had to be present danger of letting the subpoenaed materials stay where they were, danger of a crime.

Why he took them and then kept them, very incriminating.

Ask the DOJ for the affidavit for the warrant.

Ask the DOJ for the affidavit for the warrant.
The DOJ will remain silent on an ongoing investigation. They ruined Hillary Clinton's chances at the presidency when FBI Director Jim Comey failed to do that. Only Donald Trump and his side can speak openly (and they are certainly doing so).

Trump surely has a copy. Why doesn't he release it?
It is possible that if he shows a search warrant, the "raid" may look less unjustified and more lawful. I do not know if that is his reason, however.

There are both personal documents, and documents that may qualify for the National Archives in a Presidents files.

The news reports that representatives of the National Archives were sorting through the boxes at Mar a Lago with the willing cooperation of Trump and staff.
As has been said ad nauseum, for a year and a half. The DOJ said enough was enough. But supposedly it had to prove a crime in progress.

Trying to prevent uncovering his metaphorical ass for as long as possible.

The FBI must have had a credible reason to believe whatever evidence they raided the place for would be destroyed if they asked and waited for it.

I started a poll about the subject this morning, the responses were ... predictable.

I started a poll about the subject this morning, the responses were ... predictable.

I appreciate your civic fervor, but I sill hope to get the real info. :)

Same thing Melania was doing on 6JAN 2022. Finding out what items would bring on EBAY?

Blackmail? Espionage? hiding crimes? Or maybe just having an auction?

The DOJ will remain silent on an ongoing investigation. They ruined Hillary Clinton's chances at the presidency when FBI Director Jim Comey failed to do that. Only Donald Trump and his side can speak openly (and they are certainly doing so).
They can reveal the affidavit if they choose to. It will eventually come out anyway.

Trump has a copy of the warrant. He does not have a copy of the affidavit.
Okay, then why do you think he won't release a copy of the warrant?

Blackmail? Espionage? hiding crimes? Or maybe just having an auction?
Ashley Parker of "The Washington Post" was on television a few minutes ago. She has been following this story for months. She said that after the first 15 boxes were returned to The National Archives there were discussions. Boxes were locked away by Trump. In June talks broke down. Trump told the government he had no more documents other than what belonged to him. The National Archives was missing documents. When the FBI went in they took the documents Trump had locked up, which, Ms. Parker said, were the ones the government had demanded.

It shows that the search was lawful, and Trump is calling it a witch hunt. (I just heard it on MSNBC and it confirmed my own theory.)

Who says he won't? He hasn't, but that doesn't mean he won't. Honestly, I'd leave that decision in the lawyer's hands. Why do you think the affidavit for the warrant is sealed?

Who says he won't? He hasn't, but that doesn't mean he won't. Honestly, I'd leave that decision in the lawyer's hands. Why do you think the affidavit for the warrant is sealed?
Because to protect someone's presumed innocence, the justice department would never release details of an ongoing investigation.

Don't forget, Trump was the one who alerted everyone about the search.

Because to protect someone's presumed innocence, the justice department would never release details of an ongoing investigation.

Don't forget, Trump was the one who alerted everyone about the search.
Presumed innocence? Well that explains the public search, then. Explains the automatic weapons the FBI guys carried, and the whole enchilada. They're concerned about his presumed innocence. That's why they treated him like a criminal. It all makes sense now.

Presumed innocence? Well that explains the public search, then. Explains the automatic weapons the FBI guys carried, and the whole enchilada. They're concerned about his presumed innocence. That's why they treated him like a criminal. It all makes sense now.
Trump was the one who publicized the search.

The FBI had FIREARMS ! Horrors! But it’s okay for teachers to have them, right?

You’re just grasping at straws. Have a lovely day.

@NWRatCon mentioned that "The Washington Post" had first come out with this story. I have a subscription, but I know it is behind a paywall. Here is a link to the story, which was just posted. I will quote a few lines from it.

"Classified documents relating to nuclear weapons were among the items FBI agents sought in a search of former president Donald Trump’s Florida residence on Monday, according to people familiar with the investigation.

Experts in classified information said the unusual search underscores deep concern among government officials about the types of information they thought could be located at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club and potentially in danger of falling into the wrong hands.
...​

One former Justice Department official, who in the past oversaw investigations of leaks of classified information, said the type of top-secret information described by the people familiar with the probe would probably cause authorities to try to move as quickly as possible to recover sensitive documents that could cause grave harm to U.S. security.
'If that is true, it would suggest that material residing unlawfully at Mar-a-Lago may have been classified at the highest classification level,' said David Laufman, the former chief of the Justice Department’s counterintelligence section, which investigates leaks of classified information. 'If the FBI and the Department of Justice believed there were top secret materials still at Mar-a-Lago, that would lend itself to greater ‘hair-on-fire’ motivation to recover that material as quickly as possible.'"

Back
Top Bottom