• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Was The Last Movie You Watched and Rate it!

The Whale. A very good movie that I wish I could unsee. Emotionally horrifying.

What is it about. This blurb makes me thing I would enjoy it.

From 1956 ‘A Town Like Alice’ in B&W with Peter Finch in a BAFTA-awarded role as lead actor. On YouTube.

I recently read good reviews of the 1950 novel by Nevil Shute (upon which the film was based) which tells of a group of English-speaking women and children held by the Japanese in Malaysia during WW2.

Recommended.

Just watched You People with Jonah Hill, Eddie Murphy, Julia Louis-Dreyfus among others. Jonah Hill plays a middle aged Jewish guy who falls in love with Lauron London. Their parents react badly in very different ways to their children in an interracial couple. Murphy and Louis-Dreyfus are hilarious as the absolute most embarrassing parents ever.

Solid movie, very funny. The pop culture references(and there are alot) go over my head, I would have liked to see more of the father of Hill(played by David Duchovny) and the mother of London(played by Nia Long), but overall it made me laugh and kept me entertained. 4 out of 5 stars.

Just watched You People with Jonah Hill, Eddie Murphy, Julia Louis-Dreyfus among others. Jonah Hill plays a middle aged Jewish guy who falls in love with Lauron London. Their parents react badly in very different ways to their children in an interracial couple. Murphy and Louis-Dreyfus are hilarious as the absolute most embarrassing parents ever.

Solid movie, very funny. The pop culture references(and there are alot) go over my head, I would have liked to see more of the father of Hill(played by David Duchovny) and the mother of London(played by Nia Long), but overall it made me laugh and kept me entertained. 4 out of 5 stars.

I saw her on Kimmel, it sounded pretty funny, the clip was good. Where is it streaming?

White Noise (2022) Adam Driver stars in this adaptation of the novel (which I didnt read). Confusing and pretentious, it tries to be something, but it ends into a multi-genre mess. The dialogue between characters is silly and artificially choreographed, and the people themselves just arent real. Major disappointment. Rating 2/10

Devotion (2022) Strange name for a war movie, but anyway, its about two US Navy flyers in the Korean War and the lengths they go to in order to keep a promise. The aerial scenes are good, but it starts slow and is too preachy to be effective. Rating 5/10

Desert One (2019) Documentary about Operation Eagle Claw, the failed effort to try and rescue the US Embassy hostages in 1980 Iran. Interviews with Carter, Mondale and others. Its both sad and infuriating at the same time. Rating: 7/10

The Menu - maybe best described as social satire? Odd movie with good performances from Ralph Fiennes and Anya Taylor-Joy. Attempts to blend horror and comedy, not sure if it does successfully. On the fence about the movie, but if you have HBO you can watch for free.

What is it about. This blurb makes me thing I would enjoy it.
Sorry for the delay in responding..I was "out of town"

The movie is about a grossly overweight man who teaches online college courses and has very unusual connections to a few other human beings. It's not a happy film, but probably an Oscar nomination for the Best Actor.

An Officer and a Spy (2019) French historical movie about the Dreyfus affair- an incident where a young officer was stripped of his rank and imprisoned due to the French Army's antisemitism. The build up and the beginning is good, but the end is anti-climactic, since its all told in titles. Might have worked better as a limited series. Rating 6.5/10

Glass Onion (2022) I didnt particularly like the first movie, so I watched this one, hoping it would be better, but its even worse than the first. Completely pretentious plot written by someone who doesnt know the first thing about detective fiction. The Critical Drinker was right about it. Waste of time. Rating: 0/10

That has to be the most annoying blurb in creation.

Schtew-oh-pid?

The movie is about a grossly overweight man who teaches online college courses and has very unusual connections to a few other human beings. It's not a happy film, but probably an Oscar nomination for the Best Actor.

He was.

I have mixed feelings about the tone of the movie, but I'll watch when it hits the streaming services.

Top Gun- I give it 3 out of 5 stars. Dragged at times and not enough flying scenes. And it was very predictable.

Top Gun- I give it 3 out of 5 stars. Dragged at times and not enough flying scenes. And it was very predictable.
predictable, as you noted
but still better than what i expected of a sequel

The Menu - maybe best described as social satire? Odd movie with good performances from Ralph Fiennes and Anya Taylor-Joy. Attempts to blend horror and comedy, not sure if it does successfully. On the fence about the movie, but if you have HBO you can watch for free.

I gave it 3.5 stars in post 3819 (y)

predictable, as you noted
but still better than what i expected of a sequel
My favorite character was the new 'IceMan'... called 'HangMan.'. A real Eddie Haskell striker.

I detest happy films so I am even more intrigued. I am a David Lynch, Stanley Kubrick enthusiastic.

A Man Called Otto
is a current flick i'm interested in seeing

seems to have split reviews
positive for the audience and not so good from the pros
but then i tend to be a Tom Hanks fan

if you have seen it, please pass along your thoughts

Tar. Cate Blanchette should win Best Actress.

Everything Everywhere All at Once. I couldn't stand to finish it.

The Banshees of Inisherin. Weird but I suppose cerebral movie, this one. The setup isn't really giving away any spoilers: In 1923 an Irish guy named Colm (Brendan Gleeson) suddenly decides one day that he no longer wants to be friends with another Irish guy named Pádraic (Colin Farrell). Pádraic begs Colm to tell him what he did wrong, and Colm responds calmly that Pádraic did nothing wrong. It’s simply that Colm doesn’t like Pádraic anymore. After years of daily pub visits together, Colm formally requests that Pádraic leave him alone and never speak to him again. It takes off from there. Like I said, weird, but I had to keep watching!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6710474/

A Man Called Otto
is a current flick i'm interested in seeing

seems to have split reviews
positive for the audience and not so good from the pros
but then i tend to be a Tom Hanks fan

if you have seen it, please pass along your thoughts

Did you see the posts on "A Man Named Ove" here in the thread? It's the original.

10, 1979

It's hysterically funny and rather raunchy. There's quite a bit they couldnt have shown on network TV. Quite a bit of 1979 social commentary too, framed pretty amusingly.

I saw it back on TV but I was a teen, dont remember much. It has Julie Andrews in it too, whom I love, and directed by Blake Edwards.

5/5 stars

Last edited:
Banshees of Inisherin — we really enjoyed the film, and the acting was wonderful as was the screenplay. It’s about nothing, and everything.

Banshees of Inisherin — we really enjoyed the film, and the acting was wonderful as was the screenplay. It’s about nothing, and everything.

It was good. I reviewed it in post 3776.

It was good. I reviewed it in post 3776.
Thank you.
I agree — the film was very good.

I had to do some homework on the Irish Civil War 1922 - 1923. In my mind I recalled 1922 as the year the Free Irish State was established, but the film obliquely references a civil war extending into 1923.

The IRA split into two factions; supporters and non-supporters of the Anglo-Irish Treaty. Irish warring against each other, perhaps a theme bolstering one aspect of the film.

A_Clockwork_Orange_(1971).png

10/10

0ne of my all time favorites.

Back
Top Bottom