• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Was The Last Movie You Watched and Rate it!

Saw the Banshees of Inesherin.

4 out of 5 stars but even tho I expected black comedy, it went a bit beyond. Farrel and Gleason were a great team in "In Bruges" and this is their first team up in almost 20 years.

There was little way to anticipate the direction this movie went, wow. And the scenery was spectacular.

They Live!

John Carpenter, 1988

Solid C

Saw the Banshees of Inesherin.

4 out of 5 stars but even tho I expected black comedy, it went a bit beyond. Farrel and Gleason were a great team in "In Bruges" and this is their first team up in almost 20 years.

There was little way to anticipate the direction this movie went, wow. And the scenery was spectacular.
thanks for the suggestion

In Bruges was an unexpected find back in the (blockbuster video) day

Went on a foreign film binge again:

The Colony (2021) German sci-fi movie about space travelers returning to a post apocalyptic Earth. While it had an interesting premise, it falls into pure cliche by the 30-minite mark. Overall, a big meh. Rating 4/10

Athena (2022) French film about a revolt in a ghetto housing project after a child is supposedly killed by cops. Most of the movie consist of long epic tracking shots, like in that movie 1917. The gargantuan scenes of rioting and all that starts off really well, but it loses steam by the end. Rating 7/10

Argentina 1985 (2022) Based on a true story, it's a legal drama about a group of young prosecutors who took on the generals behind the military junta after the latter were overthrown in the aftermath of the Falklands War, and charged them with systematic torture and killings. Mostly so-so since it doesnt present anything new, and it's a slow-burn. Rating: 6/10

The Automat, a 2021 documentary on TCM.

Very interesting, very cool architecture and technology development. Also fascinating insights into society. Automats were very egalitarian.

This has interviews with Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Justice Ruth Ginsburg, Colin Powell, and other significant persons of the 20th Century. Mel Brooks is a continual presence and wrote the theme song. It's about what the automats meant to people thru the decades and how they developed from around 1902.

My mother used to talk about the automats in NYC and how much safer it was in the 50s (as her daughter started roaming Manhattan in the 70s with friends and worked there in the 80s, lol)

Prey... the new Predator movie

Orphan:First Kill

Decent prequel, worth watching if you liked the original.

Smile

Borrowed alot from other movies The Ring, It Follows, and Final Destination. Think it was worth the watch. Free on Paramount Plus.

Wakanda Forever

Well, I love the costumes, jewelry, pageantry in both movies. And the fight scenes.

But they try to cover a lot here. They go deep into the origin story for an entire "new civilization." And then a couple other storylines get kinda dropped. I liked it and will watch it again when it streams to catch more details but it's a bit much, even for a Marvel movie.

OTOH it's much better than the recent releases for Dr Strange/Red Witch and Spiderman IMO.

My wife and I went to a showing of I HEARD THE BELLS, and found it to be a perfect new holiday movie for the whole family. This is the first movie attempted by Sight & Sound and they did a wonderful job portraying the family life of America's poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (How is that for a name). He is noted for writing THE RIDE OF PAUL REVERE and I HEARD THE BELLS OF CHRISTMAS DAY, among others. He seems to lead a charmed life until a terrible tragedy occurs that would haunt him for years seemed to extinguish his candle ------ Here is a preview:
It is only in select theaters through December 3rd.

1946: The Mistranslation That Shifted Culture

10/10, must watch!

"Everything, Everywhere, All At Once"

I have no way to describe this movie. It's been very highly rated. I feel like there could have been 15 minutes as an intro to the characters, 15 minutes of "everything, everywhere" and then 10 minutes of the resolution. Overall it was exhausting and in the middle, repetitive.

I saw it for free on Amazon Prime. Glad I didnt pay $, altho I do really like Michelle Yeoh.

It was exactly what I expected so I was happy. I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars for that reason.

It was weak on story line...including long periods with no story, but gorgeous flora and fauna...and very good on action and fabulous scenery and critters.

It was exactly what I expected so I was happy. I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars for that reason.

It was weak on story line...including long periods with no story, but gorgeous flora and fauna...and very good on action and fabulous scenery and critters.
I figured it would be like the previous one. Mostly about the visuals. Does it deliver?

The most recent one I watched was this Norwegian film on Netflix called troll it was a decent movie decent plot pretty good acting of course I watched the voice over in English so if you watch that version you're going to lose something in translation as far as the acting goes but surprisingly decent movie incredible visuals there was CGI in it did get a little campy here and there but overall interesting movie kind of like a mystical Godzilla type movie and it goes into a little bit of lore mythology I'm not sure if it's accurate or not as I'm not very familiar with that type of mythology.

I don't want you to tell me the aisle overall 3 to 3.5 out of five I would watch it.

Has anyone seen The Fabelmans? It's getting lots of award mentions but not much box office for a Speilberg movie. There's a toy train scene in the trailer that reminded me of an incident when I was 3 years old. Christmas day and my parents set up a toy train around the tree. I put a plastic army man on the track , expecting the train to hit it and make it go flying. Instead the train hit and totally shut down. I denied knowing anything about it. My first lie and this movie reminded me about it. Need to see it if only for that.

Has anyone seen The Fabelmans? It's getting lots of award mentions but not much box office for a Speilberg movie. There's a toy train scene in the trailer that reminded me of an incident when I was 3 years old. Christmas day and my parents set up a toy train around the tree. I put a plastic army man on the track , expecting the train to hit it and make it go flying. Instead the train hit and totally shut down. I denied knowing anything about it. My first lie and this movie reminded me about it. Need to see it if only for that.
I would say I don't see too many commercials for movies anymore but I don't see too many commercials for anything on the side from the drugs anymore.

Just watched it. If you liked the first one then you will enjoy this one. For me it started to feel,a little long towards the end 2.5 I think it would have been rushed but I think you could have been able to get it done at 3.

The story is whatever but you go to Avatar for the visuals not story IMO. Still a good movie

Everything Everywhere All At Once. This movie is a masterpiece and if the people involved in and behind it wanted Oscars they should have just asked because it’s no contest. That said, it’s a difficult movie to review without spoilers so I’ll limit my response to the following:

1) This film cannot be pigeonholed into any one genre. It’s a good balance of everything and it knows exactly what it wants to be. There is no filler, nothing in this film that isn’t deliberate, and there are no loose ends. And the perspective through which this story is told is, I think, groundbreaking.

2) I cannot imagine a more perfect, emotional, impactful, relatable, and accessible representation of the great philosophical battle between the Nihilism of Nietzche, the Absurdism of Camus, and the Existentialism of Sartre. This film is a powerful masterwork in its commentary on the human condition.

3) I’m still blown away that the Daniels managed to produce everything top-tier on a budget of only $25 million and a crew of self-taught YouTubers. I mean, there’s no other way to say it but that the big commercial studios have run out of excuses for the crap they’ve been putting out.

This film is a must-see for everyone and especially those who, like me, thought originality and creativity were dead in the industry.

I disliked it for the most part. Very repetitive and so physical that it didnt invite me at all to consider what was happening to the characters (or why) at a personal level, just focused on what seemed to be 'happening to them.'

I wrote previously, "I feel like there could have been 15 minutes as an intro to the characters, 15 minutes of "everything, everywhere" and then 10 minutes of the resolution. Overall it was exhausting and in the middle, repetitive."

I wouldnt sit thru it again.

I saw GLASS ONION, Rian Johnson's sequel to KNIVES OUT. I haven;t seen the first film yet, but it occurred to me that though Johnson's still selling the Hollywood Woke morality (White People Steal Everything from POC), he's offering a superficially Clever Woke, in contrast to the Monumentally Stupid Woke of THE LAST JEDI. It's a mark of his progress that I saw what he was doing in the ideological sense but I still admired the skill of the storytelling.

Vesper (2022) European sic-fi movie about earth after the apocalypse. It's got killer plants and other weird stuff. Although it had a great beginning, the flimsy story and even flimsier characters dragged it down into the mud. Rating 4.5/10

Amsterdam (2022) Christian Bale and others in this quirky mystery movie about WW1 veterans in the 1930s getting caught up in some kind of anti-government conspiracy, which is based on a true story. The oddball spin is an attempt at making it humorous and lively I guess, but it kinda fell flat, and made the whole thing drag instead. Rating: 4.5/10

See How They Run (2022) Another quirky mystery, about a murder at a theater play in 1950's London. A burned out detective and a ditzy constable team up in another ensemble cast. It sort of turned out like the previous one I watched, but with slightly less annoyances. Overall, meh and nothing new. Rating: 5/10

The Nutcracker

As performed by the Royal Ballet.

5 stars
10 of 10 if we are doing it that way.

Exceptional costumes and a good set design. The orchestra was flawless as was the recording thereof.
My favorite production and there are many.

Handel's Messiah in Grace Cathedral
9/10

Attachments

• 816MELKsZAL._SX600_.jpg
    816MELKsZAL._SX600_.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2
There used to be a tv show on in the evening called "Unsolved Mysteries" in which they would share different stories about things we ponder but don't have answers. One of the featured stories was an interview of an elderly man describing a time when he was a little boy during the war. He and his mom moved to their cabin outside the city to avoid enemy soldiers in the urban areas.

American soldiers and German soldiers eventually ended up near the cabin and both sides were demanding her to give her home over to their soldiers.

---------------------------

Linda Hamilton (mom in "The Terminator" movies) played the mom when this beautiful story was made into a movie. It is my all-time favorite Christmas movie.

10/10

Image22.jpg

Jerry & Marge Go Large

Based on a true story. It's an enjoyable movie about a flaw in a particular lottery game that Bryan Cranston's character discovers. Thumbs up!

The new Avatar movie. 7 out of 10. Better CGI, but very predictable storyline. Can even predict the next 2 movies... Real question is if other sentient planets will join the Avatar planet to fight a space war against the capatilist imperialist humans... And sadly this is not a joke.

Back
Top Bottom