• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Was The Last Movie You Watched and Rate it!

Hillbilly Elegy
adroitly directed by little opie cunningham
predictable plot
incredibly good acting
my folks grew up in a poor mill village. this flick got that particular culture absolutely right
in a word "authentic"

ron howard has caught some flack because the film is more apolitical than the book on which it is based. i don't 'get' that criticism. but as many here can attest, there is quite a bit that i don't 'get'

catch it on netflix; it's well worth the watch
ok, i have to edit my 'review' of the movie
my wife just finished it. her comment was "i would not recommend anyone to see this movie. it's too depressing"
she agreed that glenn close and the kid who played the youth role of the protagonist displayed exceptional acting; however, she still would not recommend the flick

while that does not change my take, please consider my spouse's experience and non-recommendation as well

Trial of Roads.
With english subtitles. The film was shot in 1971.
In the partisan detachment operating behind enemy lines in the winter of 1942, gets Alexander Lazarev, a former junior sergeant
of the Red Army, which, once in german captivity, cooperated with the germans, but then, repenting, began to look for his own...
The commander and commissar of the partisan detachment take opposite positions in relation to Lazarev, but in the end,
commander Lokotkov insists on his own- to arrange a check up for Lazarev...

When I post any movie here, that means that I like it and it worth watching
But why? What is it about the movie that you liked. By the way, I do not have access to any movie channel on my TV and it would be helpful if you could include a site where I could watch it online for free. I usually try Putlocker but Blizzard of Souls is not available there and free sites such as YouTube show only trailers.

The White Tiger......8.5/10

The Mill. 2013 miniseries
A series about the life of a British weaving factory of the XIX century, based on real events. A group of activists is fighting for a ten-hour bill and trying to get it through the legislative system. Towards the end of the series the parliament rejects them and they announce a more drastic tactic: rallies and strikes. When workers hear about the project, their faces light up: "Wow, we'll only be working for ten hours now, we'll have so much free time in the evenings!»

Child labor. The main character is a 17-year-old girl, but the employer claims that she is 15 years old to pay less as a child. There is no proof of the girl's age, and she takes a trip to her hometown to find a book of records of baptisms in the church.

Living and working conditions. Increased injuries in the factory, harassment of women, there is no comfortable dining room: the workers come up and hold out their hands, and the supervisor throws a lump of porridge at them with a ladle.

Vasily Lanovoy, a famous soviet and russian actor, has died at the age 87. He survived the german occupation as a child. This is one of the films with his participation with english subtitles "Officers" about the fate and military path of two comrades, who dedicated their lives to serving in the army.

Vasily Lanovoy, a famous soviet and russian actor, has died at the age 87. He survived the german occupation as a child. This is one of the films with his participation with english subtitles "Officers" about the fate and military path of two comrades, who dedicated their lives to serving in the army.
You might have mentioned that he dies of Covid-19 as the virus is killing so many.
On this DebatePolitics forum, you might also have included that he was born in Ukraine but was a supporter of Vladimir Putin and his annexation of Crimea. He was a persona non grata in Ukraine after that, the land of his birth.

The chemistry between Costner and Lane is amazing. Great acting. Giving it a 7 out of 10.

Greenland is a better disaster movie than most since it doesn't draw only on special effects, but has solid characters and a decent story behind it.
Giving it an 8.

That's a depressing question. I haven't seen a new movie (in a theater) in almost a year.

Reactions: JMR
That's a depressing question. I haven't seen a new movie (in a theater) in almost a year.

Same. So what was the first movie the wife and I caught after a year this last weekend? The new Tom and Jerry movie. It was fantastic! 😁

STAN & OLLIE (2018)
I saw this movie about a week ago on TV and I remembered wanting to see it when it was released. Because I always loved Laurel and Hardy this treatment of their trip to Britain and Ireland in 1953 interested me. It is lovingly acted by Steve Coogan as Stan Laurel and John C. Reilly as Oliver Hardy and the story or their later years during their overseas trip is little known. It shows the relationship between the two and their wives with very few laughs. There is great attention to detail in the wardrobes and locations. It is only for their fans. I give it a pass (B-).

Greenland went straight to DVD.
I had to order those two titles thru amazon from the US. They're not available on amazon.ca.

The monk and the devil

You were asked to rate the last movie you saw and it would be helpful to know what you thought of the film. Give us an idea about the movie and why you might recommend it.

Assassins- documentary about two young girls who ended up assassinating the brother of Kim Jong-un, the NK dictator. Very interesting. Rating: 7.5/.10

After playing RDR2 for weeks on end, I got Westerns coming out of my ears, so I needed to watch a movie for some respite and chose... Unforgiven- what a masterpiece about hypocrisy, greed, and the failure of redemption in the Old West.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Coming 2 America, Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall.

I loved the original, just a fun movie. Amazingly, it seems almost everyone from the original is still alive! And made at least some appearances in the new one.

It was kitschy and corny but they seem to have gone into that intentionally. For example, the neighboring African country threatening the throne is named "Nextdooria." :rolleyes: Wesley Snipes is the bad guy...which he is good at. As a comedic actor, not so much.

There are loads of flashbacks and references to the original. The story is weak and there arent any surprises (well except for the stretch where we find out how Eddie Murphy ended up with a son :rolleyes:).

It was a fun, superficial but 'feel good' movie.

I watched Blazing Saddles again after many years. It takes wild unsubtle stereotypical swings at cowboy movies, racism, prejudice of many kinds, Hollywood! mainly through prolific use of the "N" word. Shocking in it's time, it might not be made today.

Back
Top Bottom