• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What types of taxes do you support?

I support the following types of taxes

• Income Tax

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Property Tax

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Sales Tax

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Estate/Inheritance Tax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tariffs

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Capital Gains/Dividend Tax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I support no form of taxation

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters

molten_dragon

Anti-Hypocrite
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
A lot of people seem to be very against certain types of taxes. There's always lots of complaining about income taxes, and there's another recent poll about abolishing property taxes. I think almost everyone would agree that some type of taxation is necessary to fund government services though.

So what types of taxes do you support?

I do not intend this thread to be a debate about how high the tax rate should be, simply what sort of taxation should be used.

Last edited:
I forgot to make the poll multiple choice. Could a mod change it if they get the chance?

I believe a final point of sale, sales tax could work. there would be some details to work out related to first homes purchased and food,
but showing the total cost of government on everything anyone buys, would go a long way to limiting government.
Abolishing all of the withholding taxes.

I thought I knew what I would support, but then realized we make so many demands of government at all levels (Local, State, and Federal) which have to be paid for I am not sure what would be a fair way to do so anymore.

A lot of people seem to be very against certain types of taxes. There's always lots of complaining about income taxes, and there's another recent poll about abolishing property taxes. I think almost everyone would agree that some type of taxation is necessary to fund government services though.

I do not intend this thread to be a debate about how high the tax rate should be, simply what sort of taxation should be used.

I prefer property taxes. The reason I prefer property taxes is because it is a voluntary tax, and it reduces property prices. If you don't want to pay so much in property tax, then just sell your home. The people who still choose to pay property tax, are people who has a decent amount of money.

Income taxes takes money from people who is struggling to make ends meet and who has no home to sell. Places without property taxes tend to see more wealth inequality between property owners and the people who want a place to live.

I prefer property taxes. The reason I prefer property taxes is because it is a voluntary tax, and it reduces property prices.

If you don't want to pay so much in property tax, then just sell your home. The people who still choose to pay property tax, are people who has decent amoung of money. Income taxes takes money from people who is struggling to make ends meet and who has no home to sell.

But people who don't own homes still use government services, and should pay their fair share. You may not own a home but you may drive a car on highways, may need help from police, firemen, or other social services provided by your government.

Why should only property owners foot the entire bill?

But people who don't own homes still use government services, and should pay their fair share. You may not own a home but you may drive a car on highways, may need help from police, firemen, or other social services. Why should only property owners foot the entire bill?

I don't want them to foot the entire bill, I just want them to pay parts of the bill.

No place in the world has just property taxes. But many places has no property taxes, which means that people who bought houses when the property market is low, is doing very well. For instance in Oslo, if you bought a rowhouse (1500 sqf) in 1995 it would cost about $150K. Today the same place would cost $1 million. This makes some people very rich, while people without houses need to live in really tiny homes.

Last edited:
I support a graduated income tax and the lowest rate would be 5% which would apply to EVERYONE who makes dollar one on up. The highest rate would be 40%. And i would treat ALL money coming into a persons pocket as income with no special rates for the origin of it.

I support a tariff to protect America.

I don't want them to foot the entire bill, I just want them to pay parts of the bill.

No place in the world has just property taxes.

Fine, so the question is, what are ALL the forms of taxation or government revenue you would support? The OP admits he failed to properly set up multiple choice.

Whatever forms of taxation a state government decides is fair.

personally I do not like income taxes, but that's because it's culturally ingrained in me, I'm a Washingtonian and in Washington we have never had an income tax and it's a political third rail in this state.

However, we pay (practically) 9% sales tax (state rate is 6.5 I think, but localities can charge more to a limit of 9. something) and a B&O tax on business receipts (not profits, gross receipts)

However, in Oregon right to our south, there's ZERO sales tax and a high state income tax, sales taxes are a political third rail there.

I guess the point is, I support taxes in general, and think individuals states should be left to decide, but I am happy with no income tax and a high sales tax.

But people who don't own homes still use government services, and should pay their fair share. You may not own a home but you may drive a car on highways, may need help from police, firemen, or other social services provided by your government.

Everyone pays property tax. my landlord uses part of my rent to pay property tax on the property they lease to me, businesses I shop at clearly have to pay rent or property taxes out of the money they make from customers like me, etc.

Just because one doesn't directly pay property tax doesn't mean they're a freeloader, anyone who owns substantial property has to make money from somewhere to pay the tax.

I prefer a sales tax or "consumption tax". Very simple. The more you buy, and the more expensive you buy, the more you pay.

Tax rates on items can be graduated for things like basic food and clothing vs. extravagant like jewelry, hi-end cars, and gigantic estates.

Simple. Fair.

Fine, so the question is, what are ALL the forms of taxation or government revenue you would support? The OP admits he failed to properly set up multiple choice.

I support
*Property tax to pay local government
*Income tax that varies from 10 - 40%.
*Sales tax of about 15%
*And some other taxes on stocks,profit and capital gains.

I do not support
*Employer taxes that are used as hidden taxation. This means that in Sweden you pay 30% on the first dollar you earn.
*Income taxes above 50%. The government should not take more than half of your income. If that is how much you need to balance the budget, then cut spending.

A tourist, visitor or other non-resident may also need such (your?) local government provided services - how would you propose that they (other non-residents?) help to pay for such (your?) local government services?

As a tenant a portion of my monthly rent helps to pay my landlord's property taxes. This is why, IMHO, a sales tax is better - since even a tourist, visitor or other non-resident pays such a local tax on any applicable purchase.

Of course, a local sales tax is paid only by local retail businesses - that presents its own drawbacks for areas that are predominantly residential, industrial or agricultural. Texas uses a combination of sales, property and excise taxes but lacks a state (or local) income tax.

I prefer a sales tax or "consumption tax". Very simple. The more you buy, and the more expensive you buy, the more you pay.

Tax rates on items can be graduated for things like basic food and clothing vs. extravagant like jewelry, hi-end cars, and gigantic estates.

Simple. Fair.

A sales tax may be simple but its fairness (as the sole method of taxation) is questionable - what happens if your (local) area is mostly residential, industrial or agricultural? Obviously, an area with more retail sales outlets will generate far more sales tax revenue than an area with more residences, factories or farms than retail outlets. Is it really "fair" to then redistribute that sales tax revenue from the retail areas that actually generated it to other areas that have not generated it?

Everyone pays property tax. my landlord uses part of my rent to pay property tax on the property they lease to me, businesses I shop at clearly have to pay rent or property taxes out of the money they make from customers like me, etc.

Just because one doesn't directly pay property tax doesn't mean they're a freeloader, anyone who owns substantial property has to make money from somewhere to pay the tax.

No. YOU are not paying "property taxes" when you rent a property or buy goods from a store owner.

You are paying RENT, or buying a product. THEY are paying property taxes, income taxes, and other taxes out of the profits they are making.

That's like saying if you sold me an old couch you had in your garage that I am paying your income taxes. :roll:

A tourist, visitor or other non-resident may also need such (your?) local government provided services - how would you propose that they (other non-residents?) help to pay for such (your?) local government services?

As a tenant a portion of my monthly rent helps to pay my landlord's property taxes. This is why, IMHO, a sales tax is better - since even a tourist, visitor or other non-resident pays such a local tax on any applicable purchase.

Of course, a local sales tax is paid only by local retail businesses - that presents its own drawbacks for areas that are predominantly residential, industrial or agricultural. Texas uses a combination of sales, property and excise taxes but lacks a state (or local) income tax.

That goes for you too. You are buying goods, services, or the temporary occupancy of a residency. YOU are not paying THEIR taxes.

Geez. :doh

No. YOU are not paying "property taxes" when you rent a property or buy goods from a store owner.

You are paying RENT, or buying a product. THEY are paying property taxes, income taxes, and other taxes out of the profits they are making.

That's like saying if you sold me an old couch you had in your garage that I am paying your income taxes. :roll:

That goes for you too. You are buying goods, services, or the temporary occupancy of a residency. YOU are not paying THEIR taxes.

Geez. :doh

Purely a semantic argument.

My landlord wouldn't rent property to me if they couldn't make a profit after everything else.

The people who provide your services wouldn't do so, if they couldn't make a profit after expenses including property taxes.

Your insistence was that people who don't own property weren't paying "Their fair share" but still "use government services" the fact is, indirectly I am paying for the property taxes of my landlord since they have to pay taxes on their rental property and wouldn't otherwise own it if they weren't making money.

What types of taxes do you support?

all income taxed as income (at marginal rates) above a cap. i'd also support some tariffs, but that one is a little dicier, since we've entered into a ****load of unfair trade agreements. i don't support inheritance taxes, and i'm not huge on property taxes, either. i'm not ready to take to the streets over that part, though.

Well, this will be a worthless discussion then. Most people aren't against various types of taxes, just the confiscatory amounts levied. :shrug:

You think renters don't pay property taxes?

I think the only "fair" way to tax EVERYONE or better put, for EVERYONE to pay "their fair share" is to have a national sales tax. If we can't make that happen then we should restrict people from getting more in a refund than they paid in on federal income tax. There is something obscene about that to me.

Whatever forms of taxation a state government decides is fair.

personally I do not like income taxes, but that's because it's culturally ingrained in me, I'm a Washingtonian and in Washington we have never had an income tax and it's a political third rail in this state.

However, we pay (practically) 9% sales tax (state rate is 6.5 I think, but localities can charge more to a limit of 9. something) and a B&O tax on business receipts (not profits, gross receipts)

However, in Oregon right to our south, there's ZERO sales tax and a high state income tax, sales taxes are a political third rail there.

I guess the point is, I support taxes in general, and think individuals states should be left to decide, but I am happy with no income tax and a high sales tax.

The problems is, when you add up all the various forms of taxation, it is just too much of a percentage being confiscated from the citizenry. This new mantra from the left that "governments don't need to operate as households or businesses", is utter and complete hogwash. Governments most certainly DO need to learn to operate within their means, and most certainly DO need to cut out the waste, fraud, and abuse. Until then, I am against ALL forms of taxation.

Only 1 form of tax . Income over $150,000 per individual at a rate of 15% with zero deductions . We can get rid of 80% of the government agencies . Putting an end to all foreign aid also .

I support
*Property tax to pay local government
*Income tax that varies from 10 - 40%.
*Sales tax of about 15%
*And some other taxes on stocks,profit and capital gains.

I do not support
*Employer taxes that are used as hidden taxation. This means that in Sweden you pay 30% on the first dollar you earn.
*Income taxes above 50%. The government should not take more than half of your income. If that is how much you need to balance the budget, then cut spending.
Your post is contradictory. If you add up the taxes you approve of, it is far more than 50% of your income.

Back
Top Bottom