• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Trump Showed Us About America

As long as they're Conservatives I suppose.
The gerrymandering in the US is pretty disgusting and why it isn't a huge issue is beyond me as it's basically a way for the people doing it to cheat the system for their own benefit.

It should not be allowed and any changes should be done only as a last resort and by people who have no political affiliation.
It’s not cheating for legislatures to draw district boundaries.
I don’t want my congressional district drawn to include people of different cultures then I because then I have no voice.

maybe smaller districts and a larger house delegation would help obviate this problem.

I don’t want my congressional district drawn to include people of different cultures then I because then I have no voice.

maybe smaller districts and a larger house delegation would help obviate this problem.

They are redrawing districts to make it harder for the opposing side to win the area back if that's not cheating I don't know what is.
It's obvious what they're doing and why and the only reason you approve is because it's mostly done by conservatives to try and hide the fact they're losing the arguments and popular opinion.

They are redrawing districts to make it harder for the opposing side to win the area back if that's not cheating I don't know what is.
It's obvious what they're doing and why and the only reason you approve is because it's mostly done by conservatives to try and hide the fact they're losing the arguments and popular opinion.
Not really, in fact conservatives actually win fairly often by popular opinion. that's why leftists resort to violence and judicial activism.

I don't doubt this. Grievance is a powerful motivator. But what's the point? They aren't job providers. They don't create policy. Shouldn't the non-elites' ire be directed at those people?

What is the elite supposed to do to? Are they supposed to become nicer, act more graciously and differentially toward the non-elite? And if so, what does that look like?

Oh, this is all BS. Every so often somebody tries to go back to the "elitist" well to explain how so many Americans could so enthusiastically betray everything about themselves for Donald Trump. But the entire premise falls completely apart the moment we look at Trump, an elitist who helped build the swamp, and even admitted to pulling the strings of politicians on both sides. This elitist went on to appoint Wall Street insiders and career lobbyists to his Cabinet. This elitist went on to give his kind permanent tax-cuts, freeing billion-dollar corporations from paying any taxes, while handing temporary cuts to the masses (which are already expiring). No, these morons did not follow Trump because they were angry at some faceless "elitist" element of society. They embraced one and supported his actions to embolden their power over American politics.

By 2016, these fallen conservatives were angry that liberals always seemed to be right. Conservatives were wrong about their NeoCon agenda in Iraq. Conservatives were wrong about Global Warming (after first agreeing with Democrats over it). Conservatives were wrong about Trickle-Down. Conservatives were wrong about Obama's birth certificate. Conservatives were embarrassed over the GOP's official argument about tomato paste (or should have been). Conservatives began to exponentially cling to conspiracy theories like Benghazi and PizzaGate as an identity. They followed Trump in 2016 because he behaved irrationally nasty towards the left, was a champion birther against the "African" president, and one of the many engineers of the radical right-wing propaganda that created this mindless mob in the first place. And when neo-Nazis and white supremacists joined the average conservative at Trump's pep rallies, they simply looked away and pretended that it wasn't a sign about how fanatical and extremist they had become. They followed Trump because they proved far too stupid to see that their idea of an "elitist" was merely the educated. And by 2020, they had invented and promoted conspiracies like QAnon to explain themselves.

No, the only thing that makes sense is that they became so bitter over watching their ideologies fail, one after another, for years, that they saw Trump as a massive middle finger to America and the world. They were tired of always being wrong. We went on to see this middle finger as they supported and encouraged his constant attacks on American democratic institutions while befriending global autocrats to their applause. In the meantime, radical right-wing propaganda managed to create more ignorant followers because stupid people feel less stupid if the whole room is stupid. And back in 2016, Trump made them feel less stupid. They received a massive dose of false and fleeting power over those who were simply smarter than they were. This middle-finger attitude is why they could cheer for a President who even admitted that he wanted Ukraine to start an investigation on his political competitor, thereby interfering in the 2020 American election. This middle-finger attitude makes even more sense today when we see the lot of them eager to see Trump tear down American democracy to "win." It all goes back to the originally expressed reason they dropped to their knees in the first place ----> "As long as it pisses off a lib...." Oh, but these are the real patriots, huh?

These people are too entirely without introspect to explain why they swooned (they still can't explain MAGA); and have spent four years lying about black/white data, exaggerating events to create credit, and denying reality just to try to legitimize that blind devotion.

Last edited:
Oh, this is all BS. Every so often somebody tries to go back to the "elitist" well to explain how so many Americans could so enthusiastically betray everything about themselves for Donald Trump. But the entire premise falls completely apart the moment we look at Trump, an elitist who helped build the swamp, and even admitted to pulling the strings of politicians on both sides. This elitist went on to appoint Wall Street insiders and career lobbyists to his Cabinet. This elitist went on to give his kind permanent tax-cuts, freeing billion-dollar corporations from paying any taxes, while handing temporary cuts to the masses (which are already expiring). No, these morons did not follow Trump because they were angry at some faceless "elitist" element of society. They embraced one and supported his actions to embolden their power over American politics.

Don't count out the power of AI in social media to manipulate people. In 2014 and 15 the Flat Earth stuff was making the rounds on all fronts. Those types of CT's are aimed at finding certain people: Those who will believe anything except facts. Pizza Gate soon followed. I noticed the common thread between those pushing F/E and those buying the P/G nonsense.

If you think about it, Flat Earth and Biden won by Fraud are not that far apart in the suspension of disbelief department. I bet in a Venn Diagram with Flat Earth, Pizza Gat and Voter Fraud, the overlap would be nothing but Trump voters.

Last edited:
They were Southern Democrats and remain Southern Democrats.
And all those marchers who waved swastika alongside Trump signs were just figments of our collective imagination. By all means continue to deny reality. I need a laugh. :p

Don't count out the power of AI in social media to manipulate people. In 2014 and 15 the Flat Earth stuff was making the rounds on all fronts. Those types of CT's are aimed at finding certain people: Those who will believe anything except facts. Pizza Gate soon followed. I noticed the common thread between those pushing F/E and those buying the P/G nonsense.

If you think about it, Flat Earth and Biden won by Fraud are not that far apart in the suspension of disbelief department. I bet in a Venn Diagram with Flat Earth, Pizza Gat and Voter Fraud, the overlap would be nothing but Trump voters.

Seen The Social Dilemma on Netflix?

And, coincidentally, they were Southern Democrats.

You seem confused:

1) During the Antebellum and post-Civil War periods, the Democratic Party represented the conservative south. The liberals were the abolitionists within the Republican Party, like Lincoln.

2) Between the Compromise of 1877 and the Civil Rights Marches, the issue of race was largely taken off the political table. During this period, in the very late nineteenth century, there was political disruptions among the two parties and people began to shift. For some 60 years, conservatives and liberals could be found in both Parties, working together and reaching across to get major projects accomplished. Hence, the two Parties being described as "big tents."

3) Circa the Civil Rights Marches, the Republican Party began to represent the conservatives, building upon a Christian-based platform, whereas liberals (hippies, war protestors, minorities) gravitated towards the Democratic Party.

Notice how the KKK, no matter which Party represents them, is always among the conservatives. The conservative South were the traders who seceded, rejected the American flag, created a Confederate war flag, and started the Civil War. The conservative South created the KKK and Jim Crow laws. Conservative Republicans voted against (or abstained from voting) the Civil Rights Act and the Voters Right Act. It's always Texan conservatives who threaten to secede during tantrums. Today, Conservative Republicans shed tears over their Confederate statues and ignorantly wave the Confederate war flag next to the American flag.

I mean, this line is simple to follow. This isn't hard. Throughout the American history, conservatives have always been a national impediment and always the source of treason. Even at the Presidential level, conservatives have Andrew Johnson, Richard Nixon, and now Donald Trump.

It’s not cheating for legislatures to draw district boundaries.I don’t want my congressional district drawn to include people of different cultures then I because then I have no voice.maybe smaller districts and a larger house delegation would help obviate this problem.

Have you ever thought of getting to know people of a different culture. It's almost certain that you both want the same things. "E Pluribus Unum" is on our Great Seal for a reason. The founders hope was the in working together our experiment in democracy would be Novus ordo Seclorum and Providence would Annuit Coeptis. But that won't happen if you think celebrating Diwali instead of Christmas some how makes their voice louder than yours.

The world hasn't changed all that much and in fact unemployment was low and corporations were returning and hiring during the Trump Administration. The elite were, and are, protecting their turf. That's their first duty. There's an excellent reason why DC and its suburbs is the wealthiest area in the US, despite them producing just paper, and that ain't about to change since they removed the threat.

Nah all the defense contractors and computer companies are there. The “Dulles corridor” in Virginia is second only to Silicone Valley in terms of the number of high tech companies headquartered there. Also there are also multiple military bases around there, from Andrew’s AFB to Quantico. This is not to mention the Pentagon. I thought conservatives liked the military. Multiple universities: from Georgetown and George Washington and American University and Howard to George Mason and University of Maryland. Don’t forget all the medical centers. The NIH and the National Science Foundation are there- these are the centers that recently finished coordinating the historic Human Genome Project- mapping all human genes- and setting the groundwork for gene therapy of all sorts of genetic diseases and cancers. The firat successful human gene therapy just recently allowed babies born blind due to a rare congenital form of blindness to see- based on this work . The Smithsonian Museums draw tourists from around the world and are a national treasure.

Where do you get this “producing just paper” stuff? Fox News? You think America should give all this up and have everyone in DC so some “real work” like farm corn because that’s the only kind of real work you know?

It’s so odd. I think only in America do people think it’s cool to disparage the capital of their nation, rather than take some pride in it.

Last edited:
You seem confused:

1) During the Antebellum and post-Civil War periods, the Democratic Party represented the conservative south. The liberals were the abolitionists within the Republican Party, like Lincoln.

2) Between the Compromise of 1877 and the Civil Rights Marches, the issue of race was largely taken off the political table. During this period, in the very late nineteenth century, there was political disruptions among the two parties and people began to shift. For some 60 years, conservatives and liberals could be found in both Parties, working together and reaching across to get major projects accomplished. Hence, the two Parties being described as "big tents."

3) Circa the Civil Rights Marches, the Republican Party began to represent the conservatives, building upon a Christian-based platform, whereas liberals (hippies, war protestors, minorities) gravitated towards the Democratic Party.

Notice how the KKK, no matter which Party represents them, is always among the conservatives. The conservative South were the traders who seceded, rejected the American flag, created a Confederate war flag, and started the Civil War. The conservative South created the KKK and Jim Crow laws. Conservative Republicans voted against (or abstained from voting) the Civil Rights Act and the Voters Right Act. It's always Texan conservatives who threaten to secede during tantrums. Today, Conservative Republicans shed tears over their Confederate statues and ignorantly wave the Confederate war flag next to the American flag.

I mean, this line is simple to follow. This isn't hard. Throughout the American history, conservatives have always been a national impediment and always the source of treason. Even at the Presidential level, conservatives have Andrew Johnson, Richard Nixon, and now Donald Trump.

The people haven't moved. They just changed parties.

Today’s “knowledge economy” is largely a fiction. It’s full of parasites who make money in financial services or making technology that’s destructive. And these people actively outsource manufacturing and extractive industries to other countries. What it shows is an elite making money off of social destruction while denying middle class people employment in productive industries. It’s an issue that will resolve itself before too long however.
Obviously it is for you.
Other folks are doing fine by ignoring the moronic Trump zombies.

By 2016, these fallen conservatives were angry that liberals always seemed to be right. Conservatives were wrong about their NeoCon agenda in Iraq. Conservatives were wrong about Global Warming (after first agreeing with Democrats over it). Conservatives were wrong about Trickle-Down. Conservatives were wrong about Obama's birth certificate. Conservatives were embarrassed over the GOP's official argument about tomato paste (or should have been). Conservatives began to exponentially cling to conspiracy theories like Benghazi and PizzaGate as an identity. They followed Trump in 2016 because he behaved irrationally nasty towards the left, was a champion birther against the "African" president, and one of the many engineers of the radical right-wing propaganda that created this mindless mob in the first place. And when neo-Nazis and white supremacists joined the average conservative at Trump's pep rallies, they simply looked away and pretended that it wasn't a sign about how fanatical and extremist they had become. They followed Trump because they proved far too stupid to see that their idea of an "elitist" was merely the educated. And by 2020, they had invented and promoted conspiracies like QAnon to explain themselves.

No, the only thing that makes sense is that they became so bitter over watching their ideologies fail, one after another, for years, that they saw Trump as a massive middle finger to America and the world. They were tired of always being wrong. We went on to see this middle finger as they supported and encouraged his constant attacks on American democratic institutions while befriending global autocrats to their applause. In the meantime, radical right-wing propaganda managed to create more ignorant followers because stupid people feel less stupid if the whole room is stupid. And back in 2016, Trump made them feel less stupid. They received a massive dose of false and fleeting power over those who were simply smarter than they were. This middle-finger attitude is why they could cheer for a President who even admitted that he wanted Ukraine to start an investigation on his political competitor, thereby interfering in the 2020 American election. This middle-finger attitude makes even more sense today when we see the lot of them eager to see Trump tear down American democracy to "win." It all goes back to the originally expressed reason they dropped to their knees in the first place ----> "As long as it pisses off a lib...." Oh, but these are the real patriots, huh?

These people are too entirely without introspect to explain why they swooned (they still can't explain MAGA); and have spent four years lying about black/white data, exaggerating events to create credit, and denying reality just to try to legitimize that blind devotion.

Mind numbingly stupid crap.

Elites don't always act in the best interest of the greater good, or America, or the majority of Americans---they frequently act in their best interests as they see them. Even when they act in the direction of what they believe to be the greater good they frequently harm those with no real voice to air their grievances, except the ballot box. I can tell you for many Trump supporters it started as a burn it all down type of movement because the elites within the Republican party were refusing to listen to voter priorities and Trump became the wake up call.

Its not about thumbing their nose at elites, its about getting elites to recognize they don't get to decide everything.

I don't doubt this. Grievance is a powerful motivator. But what's the point? They aren't job providers. They don't create policy. Shouldn't the non-elites' ire be directed at those people?

What is the elite supposed to do to? Are they supposed to become nicer, act more graciously and differentially toward the non-elite? And if so, what does that look like?

I disagree. What the one term mistake showed us about the "elites" are that they are not all educated, intelligent and dignified. Some are corrupt crass liars who sound and act like a 4th grader whose parents never told him NO.

You seem confused:
Not confused at all. I said they were Southern Democrats and they were Southern Democrats. Are you pretending you didn't know that?

What nonsense! You're trying to change the debate from Democrat and Republican to liberal and conservative. That won't work.

Is it the Republicans who are trying to prevent free speech? To censor speech and the free exchange of ideas? Who are rioting in the streets, murdering the police, attacking people enjoying an evening out with their families (and encouraged by Democrats), looting shops and calling it 'reparations'?

No, of course not. There is a protest this evening where Republicans are protesting the arbitrary shutdown of a popular bar/restaurant and, of course, it is peaceful.

It is you who is confused by using terms you don't quite understand, as in your use of the word 'conservative'. They are fighting to conserve, or preserve, the Constitution and all the rights contained therein while the Democrats, then and now, would do their best to ignore or destroy it. Nothing much has changed.

Last edited:
Nah all the defense contractors and computer companies are there. The “Dulles corridor” in Virginia is second only to Silicone Valley in terms of the number of high tech companies headquartered there. Also there are also multiple military bases around there, from Andrew’s AFB to Quantico. This is not to mention the Pentagon. I thought conservatives liked the military. Multiple universities: from Georgetown and George Washington and American University and Howard to George Mason and University of Maryland. Don’t forget all the medical centers. The NIH and the National Science Foundation are there- these are the centers that recently finished coordinating the historic Human Genome Project- mapping all human genes- and setting the groundwork for gene therapy of all sorts of genetic diseases and cancers. The firat successful human gene therapy just recently allowed babies born blind due to a rare congenital form of blindness to see- based on this work . The Smithsonian Museums draw tourists from around the world and are a national treasure.

Where do you get this “producing just paper” stuff? Fox News? You think America should give all this up and have everyone in DC so some “real work” like farm corn because that’s the only kind of real work you know?

It’s so odd. I think only in America do people think it’s cool to disparage the capital of their nation, rather than take some pride in it.
You seem to be confusing the criticism of the capitol with the bureaucracy, lawyers and the lobbyists who get rich there. And if you think people in other countries don't complain about about government corruption or their bureaucracies you should get out more often.

Not confused at all. I said they were Southern Democrats and they were Southern Democrats. Are you pretending you didn't know that?

If not confused than obtuse. Calling them Southern Democrats helps you avoid who they actually were: conservatives <--- The same conservatives who today shed tears for the Confederate flag, Confederate statues, and swim among the KKK within the Republican Party.

By stopping short and calling them Democrats, you purposely imply that liberals started a Civil War, created the KKK, and Jim Crow. You falsely imply that today's conservatives were the abolitionists. This is what happens when you buy into the idea that today's Republican Party is the Part of Lincoln. It is not.

Last edited:

There are very few monarchists in this country.

So you're probably ass-out wherever you go.

What nonsense! You're trying to change the debate from Democrat and Republican to liberal and conservative. That won't work.

Is it the Republicans who are trying to prevent free speech? To censor speech and the free exchange of ideas? Who are rioting in the streets, murdering the police, attacking people enjoying an evening out with their families (and encouraged by Democrats), looting shops and calling it 'reparations'?

No, of course not. There is a protest this evening where Republicans are protesting the arbitrary shutdown of a popular bar/restaurant and, of course, it is peaceful.

It is you who is confused by using terms you don't quite understand, as in your use of the word 'conservative'. They are fighting to conserve, or preserve, the Constitution and all the rights contained therein while the Democrats, then and now, would do their best to ignore or destroy it. Nothing much has changed.
You deny that the FBI said that far right groups were the most dangerous terrorist threat to Americans? You deny that White supremacists were implicated as the instigators in several of the riots this past summer? There IS something very frightening about the current state of the Republican party. They have chosen to stay silent while a rogue President tries to overturn the results of a American election. Those are the "Conservative values" you claim are to "preserve the Constitution"? Sorry but you have some explaining to do.

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/...supremacists-disguised-as-black-lives-matter/
https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-helped-ignite-george-floyd-riots-identified-white/story?id=72051536

If not confused than obtuse. Calling them Southern Democrats helps you avoid who they actually were: conservatives <--- The same conservatives who today shed tears for the Confederate flag, Confederate statues, and swim among the KKK within the Republican Party.

By stopping short and calling them Democrats, you purposely imply that liberals started a Civil War, created the KKK, and Jim Crow. You falsely imply that today's conservatives were the abolitionists. This is what happens when you buy into the idea that today's Republican Party is the Part of Lincoln. It is not.
It's a common theme of white supremacist apologists.

You left off Ronald Reagan... and Iran-Contra.

It's not a matter of simple, it's a matter of damning. He/they know the truth, but the truth paints them as the deplorables they are, so they shun it. It's easier to self-delude than to self-reflect.

It's a common theme of white supremacist apologists.

It appears to be a common theme among the conservative collective. They defend themselves today by shamelessly presenting a shallow version of history to create falsehood. But even within their revision, it is mind boggling how they can think that the disconnect from era to era isn't painfully obvious.

- How in hell can they see where the KKK sits today, and promote the idea that liberals created the KKK? Wouldn't they have joined with them in today's Democratic Party?
- How in hell can they see the conservative Bible Belt or the red-stated conservative South today, and think that this used to be liberal ground?

By stopping short and declaring that the Democratic Party represented slavery, they avoid who the Democratic Party of old represented. But if you school them on the simple basics, they accuse you of revisionism. No wonder these people are infamous for denying science and believing in debunked conspiracy theories.

You left off Ronald Reagan... and Iran-Contra.

That could easily be argued as treason. And this is also, yet another, disconnect among conservatives.

- If Iran is the big bad wolf of the region and a grave threat, why in hell would Israel and America provide it weapons?
- If Iran is the big bad wolf of the region and a grave threat, why in hell would Trump walk away from the deal and surrender a decade's worth of time we could have used to work on that threat?

But despite these things, conservatives are very fond of scapegoating Iran and exaggerating issues into an excuse to drop nukes on Tehran. All Presidents are guilty of it. Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Trump have tapped into that ignorant well for distraction or to show strength. And the greatest offenders were Clinton, Bush, and even Obama, because they were presented with golden opportunities to normalize and move on from the stupid game. All three refused because they didn't want to contradict an American population that has been taught to hate Iran for any reason pundits and politicians come up with.

It drives me crazy because eventually, like North Korea in 2006, Iran's military may convince the ulema to develop a nuke. And then, normalizing will be too late.

It's not a matter of simple, it's a matter of damning. He/they know the truth, but the truth paints them as the deplorables they are, so they shun it. It's easier to self-delude than to self-reflect.

Absolutely. The do know. They reject and expect everybody to allow the delusion. This is why they dismiss everything as "fake news." Why they accuse Democrats of voter fraud, despite Republicans constantly being caught. And why most of their blind support for Trump hinges on them ignoring Trump.

You deny that the FBI said that far right groups were the most dangerous terrorist threat to Americans? You deny that White supremacists were implicated as the instigators in several of the riots this past summer? There IS something very frightening about the current state of the Republican party. They have chosen to stay silent while a rogue President tries to overturn the results of a American election. Those are the "Conservative values" you claim are to "preserve the Constitution"? Sorry but you have some explaining to do.

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/...supremacists-disguised-as-black-lives-matter/
https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-helped-ignite-george-floyd-riots-identified-white/story?id=72051536

"rogue President tries to overturn the results of a American election. "
By the use of the same definitions, a rogue party, rogue federal bureaucracy, and rogue federal Intel and LEO agencies have been trying to overturn the results of a American election since the results of the 2016 election were announced.

BTW, Trump is not 'overturn the results of a American election'. At present there are no officially certified results of this last election, and we have some 9 more days until the 2000 election was decided.
How is it that when a president is exercising his legal rights in the courts by the prescribed manner, which makes him 'a rogue president'?
Do you consider anyone you don't like and / or don't agree with who are also exercising their legal rights in the courts 'rogue' also?
That their legal rights be abridged simply because you don't like and / or don't agree with them?

I disagree. What the one term mistake showed us about the "elites" are that they are not all educated, intelligent and dignified. Some are corrupt crass liars who sound and act like a 4th grader whose parents never told him NO.

I'll agree with you on that point, as applied to those of the political elite, entrenched burocracy, media, intel & LEO agencies who have been trying to reverse the results of the 2016 election, as well as actively sabotaging a legitimate, legally elected president. Many clear cases of party over nation if there ever were any.

We are asked to believe that an (alleged) multi-billionaire who appoints people like Mnuchin and DeVos, who cheats people through a phony university and foundation, who insults immigrants, refugees, Muslims, who advocates war crimes, who screws up a response to an epidemic that hits the poor harder than others, is anti-elite. Lots of the non-elite voted for fascism. The media and intellectuals have often been easy pickins for dictator wannabes to demonize as the enemy to some of their supporters.

Back
Top Bottom