• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What Trump DIDNT do.....

Rba1776

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
This is a question for ADULTS!! Im not a Trump guy. Or a Biden guy. I live in the real world with real responsibilities. So please...
On the matter of Covid. Understanding the restrictions the Federal government has, both morally and legally, in regard to forcing Federal laws and policies on the states....
What should the President have done, or should he not have done, that would have had a much greater positive impact?

If your really feelin frisky, try to restrain yourself from Monday morning quarterbacking......

This is a question for ADULTS!! Im not a Trump guy. Or a Biden guy. I live in the real world with real responsibilities. So please...
On the matter of Covid. Understanding the restrictions the Federal government has, both morally and legally, in regard to forcing Federal laws and policies on the states....
What should the President have done, or should he not have done, that would have had a much greater positive impact?

If your really feelin frisky, try to restrain yourself from Monday morning quarterbacking......

Pandemic playbook that he threw out (and that you can google) had a strategy for dealing with pandemics where some responsibilities were on States and other responsibilities on the Feds.

Federal government is supposed to be responsible for aspects like testing (test development, protocols, testing supplies etc), PPE (procurement, distribution, etc), overall strategy, etc. Note that a lot of procurement related stuff deals with international supply chains that only Feds can do.

The other part is proper messaging. It almost does not matter what Governors do, if 30% of their population is not going to abide by it, since they don't believe the problem is there.

Encouraging and working out a synched up strategy has also been shown to have helped. The fact that every State ended up with their own different schedule for shutdowns and reopenings and different phases hurt the country because people are free to travel across the State lines.

There was no coordinated federal response. That's absolutely insane, but true.

" “I don't take responsibility at all,” Trump said defiantly, pointing to an unspecified “set of circumstances” and “rules, regulations and specifications from a different time.” "

The U.S. Federal Government is who taught both New Zealand AND South Korea how to handle a pandemic, not only by sharing in global cooperative projects and not only by South Korea and New Zealand both belonging to global task forces as member states, they even learned from mistakes they made while we avoided them, so they also learned by just watching us, all in the past, like when presidential administrations took this stuff very seriously and did not LIE to the American people about it either.

"At the time, the World Health Organization was providing information on the threat posed by MERS. While Bahrain didn’t have cases of MERS at the time, the organization listed it as having had outbreaks in the past. While other countries like the United States added Bahrain to the list of MERS danger zones, Korea did not. When the businessman sought medical treatment for flu-like symptoms, public health authorities ignored the possibility that he might have had MERS because he had come from Bahrain. Ministry of Health and Welfare officials rejected the request for a MERS test from the Samsung Medical Center, arguing that the businessman did not meet the criteria for a diagnosis."

We used to cooperate on a global scale for things like pandemics, not treat it like it was an episode of "The Apprentice", which is exactly the script Trump followed, in the most cynical way possible.
It has become laughable, in a dark way, to listen to people who sound like abused wives, as you say what sounds almost like,
"Well, it's not like he doesn't have a reason to hit me, and he doesn't really hit me very much and he always says nice things to me afterward, so then I feel too good about myself to stay mad at him. I realize I can't change him but I love him."

Seriously, the last four years has been like listening to wives in abusive relationships, even from the men.
The whole COVID thing has been done to death already, and the excuses are pathetic, like "South Korea is smaller than we are and they are an island nation (they aren't) etc etc quack quack quack."

It doesn't matter because SK is dotted with dozens of dense urban jungles, many with populations rivaling our own big cities.
SK is a fully modern, industrialized Western style nation, with some degree of democracy even.
So it is NOT even all that different.
None of the excuses has ANY merit whatsoever, because we have HANDLED pandemics in the past.

This is a question for ADULTS!!

Gosh, Rba, that almost scared me off! :)

Seriously, though, I'm afraid we're too close to the events to accurately analyze what went right or wrong. Right now, our assessments seem to be skewed by whether we like Trump or not. After all this is over, we'll be able to look back and better assess our actions, decisions, etc. I know that sounds like a cop-out, but I honestly think that will be the case.

Use of the concept of the Pandemic Playbook.

First and foremost he did not assure cohesive messaging. He blew it. He seeded a large group of people with inaccurate information and sowed the seeds of distrust in the epidemiological /public health community.

He did do some things right. Warp Speed comes to mind. But frankly, back to the concept f his own fudged up messaging.....by attempting to pretend he can alter the release date....he makes others questioning the safety of the vaccine. Even the least "sciencey" people know you cannot rush or pinpoint a date of development of a vaccine.. He makes it seem like a scam.

Back
Top Bottom