• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What to Watch for in Trump’s National Address on Immigration

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

1/8/19
Saying a situation is a crisis does not make it so, but Mr. Trump and other senior administration officials have been using the word repeatedly in recent days. They point to a direct connection between the flow of drugs from Mexico and the opioid epidemic in the United States. They say that migrants, particularly women and children, are victims of crime as they journey to the United States. And Mr. Trump has also strongly suggested that terrorists may be slipping across the border. These threats are greatly exaggerated, if not fabricated. Migrant border crossings have been declining for nearly two decades. The majority of heroin enters the United States through legal ports of entry, not through open areas of the border. Immigrants are less likely to commit crimes in the United States than native-born Americans. The State Department said in a recent report that there is “no credible evidence” that terrorist groups had sent operatives to enter the United States through Mexico.

Of the “10 individuals on the terrorist watch list” stopped daily by the Department of Homeland Security, most were attempting to enter by air travel. Of the “10 individuals on the terrorist watch list” stopped daily by the Department of Homeland Security, most were attempting to enter by air travel. A recent analysis from the libertarian Cato Institute found that of 45,000 “special interest aliens” caught at the border since 2007, none has committed terrorist attacks. Representative Vicente Gonzalez, Democrat of Texas, told the newspaper that a border wall was not the answer. “I would remind the president that there are 7,500 open positions with Customs and Border Protection that have not been filled, and that this should be their top priority,” Mr. Gonzalez said in a statement Monday. “With updated resources, technology and more Border Patrol agents, Customs officers and agriculture inspectors, we can keep this nation prosperous and protect our citizens from those who wish to harm us,” he said.

• The southern border wall is merely a campaign promise Donald Trump made to his political support base.
• Trump stated 92 times during his election campaign that "Mexico would pay for the wall." (a Trump campaign lie)
• Declaring the southern border to be in a "crisis" or a "national emergency" does not make it so.
• Trump ordered a stop to asylum applications on the southern border. (overturned by a Federal judge)
• Parents and children are separated at the border by CBP and DHS cannot always adequately locate incarcerated children. (at one point DHS lost 1,500 children)
• US Big Pharma dumped millions of opioid pills in US pharmacies triggering the opioid addiction epidemic. (Trump ignores this)
• Most illegals in the US enter via airports and overstay their visas. (Trump ignores this)
• The US State Dept. says no terrorists have been apprehended trying to enter the US at the southern border. (Trump lied about this)
• None of the border state Senators want Trumps wall.
• No, none of the recent living or deceased US presidents ever told Trump they wished they had built a wall. (a Trump lie)
• The Trump administration has spent less than 50% of Congressional funds appropriated for border security in May, 2018. (crickets on this from Trump)
• Illegal border crossings have actually declined during the past five years. (Trump ignores the statistics)
• The Trump administration has not filled 7,500 CBP officer positions. (silence on this from Trump)
• Most trafficked females/children enter the US via plane and ship.
• Trumps $5 Billion vanity wall demand is for a 13th century solution to 21st century problem. Walls are easily circumvented.
• The US government could be 98% funded tomorrow if Trump wanted it to be. Border security funding could then be negotiated separately.
• Polls state that the majority of Americans do not want Trumps wall built and do not believe it to be worth a government shutdown.
• Trump is holding government services and government employee paychecks hostage until he gets his way - his legacy wall.
• Start protesting in front of the White House en-mass to end this Trump-fabricated government shutdown.

Could you please stop spamming these threads?

I know you're excited to hear Trump speak tonight. I am, too.

But relax.

• The southern border wall is merely a campaign promise Donald Trump made to his political support base.
• Trump stated 92 times during his election campaign that "Mexico would pay for the wall." (a Trump campaign lie)
• Declaring the southern border to be in a "crisis" or a "national emergency" does not make it so.
• Trump ordered a stop to asylum applications on the southern border. (overturned by a Federal judge)
• Parents and children are separated at the border by CBP and DHS cannot always adequately locate incarcerated children. (at one point DHS lost 1,500 children)
• US Big Pharma dumped millions of opioid pills in US pharmacies triggering the opioid addiction epidemic. (Trump ignores this)
• Most illegals in the US enter via airports and overstay their visas. (Trump ignores this)
• The US State Dept. says no terrorists have been apprehended trying to enter the US at the southern border. (Trump lied about this)
• No, none of the recent living or deceased US presidents ever told Trump they wished they had built a wall. (a Trump lie)
• The Trump administration has spent less than 50% of Congressional funds appropriated for border security in May, 2018. (crickets on this from Trump)
• Illegal border crossings have actually declined during the past five years. (Trump ignores the statistics)
• The Trump administration has not filled 7,500 CBP officer positions. (silence on this from Trump)
• Trumps $5 Billion vanity wall demand is for a 13th century solution to 21st century problem. Walls are easily circumvented.
• The US government could be 98% funded tomorrow if Trump wanted it to be. Border security funding could then be negotiated separately.
• Polls state that the majority of Americans do not want Trumps wall built and do not believe it to be worth a government shutdown.
• Trump is holding government services and government employee paychecks hostage until he gets his way - his legacy wall.
• Start protesting in front of the White House en-mass to end this Trump-fabricated government shutdown.

Nice comprehensive list.

The amount of lies that man tells is amazing.

Take a drink every time Trump lies. You'll be drunk in a minute and a half, passed out by 9:15 and not remember a thing tomorrow.

Watch for how the nation responds, that is the only thing that matters.

But relax.

Spamming these threads? This is HIS thread!
Who in Sam Hill do you think you are?

He already has a thread about this. It's called: "Trump’s big speech won’t matter"

It's the same subject.

He's just spamming it on these forums. Can a moderator please remove one of them? This is tantamount to propaganda at this point.

Take a drink every time Trump lies. You'll be drunk in a minute and a half, passed out by 9:15 and not remember a thing tomorrow.

I proposed a drinking game for the address this evening, no takers so far.

But relax.

He is not spamming
Happy you are excited.
I luv listening to Trump.

One thing I will add, be careful and safe when excited.
One never knows what will really pop up

I hope he throws out Nancy Palosi.

"All right, get her our of here. Get her the hell out!" :lamo

Trump will deliver however the spin from CNN and MSNBC will be over the top.

The so-called journalists are getting desperate for a knock out punch (they really hate our President even as they claim that people hating is bad)....the spin will surely be spectacular....we know before Trump says a word that this speech is proof of the need to impeach Trump.

Great refresh of all the trump propaganda. Forgot a lot of that already. Hard to keep up with his lies. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He already has a thread about this. It's called: "Trump’s big speech won’t matter"

It's the same subject.

He's just spamming it on these forums. Can a moderator please remove one of them? This is tantamount to propaganda at this point.

It is you who chose to come into this thread. I ignore dozens of threads all the time. It's not really that hard to do.

I hope he throws out Nancy Palosi.

"All right, get her our of here. Get her the hell out!" :lamo

Throw her out of where, your head or his head ?

The so-called journalists are getting desperate for a knock out punch (they really hate our President even as they claim that people hating is bad)....the spin will surely be spectacular.

Just watch CNN or MSNBC with the volume off and you can see it in their body language. Those sad soulless sellouts.

:spin: Trump doesn't lie! He occasionally gets caught making "unfortunate misstatements." :spin:

Great summary. WaPo has one too: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...s-immigration-address/?utm_term=.508a39ee5bbc

No doubt this will be dishonestly cited by some as "bias"; the free press doing it's government fact-checking job, cited as "bias".

I only have a mostly-full handle of vodka in the freezer. And I'm also no longer in college. This would do bad things to me. Very bad things, very quickly.

It is you who chose to come into this thread. I ignore dozens of threads all the time. It's not really that hard to do.

I had to point out the propaganda, my dude. :)

But relax.

"The left" is fungible, to some. Well, that or "the left" is a gestalt entity. I'm not sure they've thought it out that far. We're just all answerable for what anyone accused of being "on the left" happens to say. Other identifiable groups are not, though, of course. That wouldn't be fair.

It's the same subject.

I thought the list of Tump's lies and misstatements was useful. Reporting on things Trump has lied about is neither propaganda nor is it hateful. When the reports are true, it is simply news. If you don't like that a president's actions on the news can make him (and by extension those that voted for him) look bad, then it's a good idea next time to not vote for the President who says a bunch of controversial things and isn't afraid to lie to get his point across. While you might relate to how he feels about the other side, his actions and statements will be over analyzed be on the news constantly like all presidents' actions and statements are, and you will have to endure any embarrassment that results from that along with him.

Back
Top Bottom