• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What to feed very young kitten.

CRUE CAB

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
We found a very very young kitten at work.
Mother cat is no where to be found. We left it over night to see if she would come back but didnt.
And a heavy truck shop is no where for a cat to be alone.
Question is what has anyone fed one that they have found?

Mother cat is no where to be found. We left it over night to see if she would come back but didnt.

Kitten food probably works well.

Mamma cats usually only visit their kittens for a brief time at night, and leave the kitten to fend for itself for most of the day. But if mom truly isn't present, kitten milk replacement formula (KMR) is available at any local pet store. Kittens will begin eating solid food around four weeks and should be completely weaned by 8-10 weeks.

If less than 6 weeks DO NOT FEED FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must bottle feed. Real cat food will kill it! Go to Petsmart and get a kitten kit. After that, wet food until they are 3 months and thn you can introduce dry kitten food.

Mine always did well on dog meat. I'm kidding, by the way...

Feed it milk, preferably through a baby bottle or a syringe (without the needle ofc). It's cheaper to get a syringe at your local pharmacy than a baby bottle I think. You can't feed it real food until it grows older and it's teeth start showing properly.

Feed it milk, preferably through a baby bottle or a seringe (without the needle ofc). You can't feed it real food until it grows older.

Kitten milk. Not human milk. Sold at Petsmart.

If less than 6 weeks DO NOT FEED FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must bottle feed. Real cat food will kill it! Go to Petsmart and get a kitten kit. After that, wet food until they are 3 months and thn you can introduce dry kitten food.
So far, its had part of a pulled sandwich part of a hot dog.
I went and got some baby formula from CVS and will stop by Petsmart on the way home.
I guess I am the lucky one who gets to keep it.:mrgreen:

Mamma cats usually only visit their kittens for a brief time at night, and leave the kitten to fend for itself for most of the day. But if mom truly isn't present, kitten milk replacement formula (KMR) is available at any local pet store. Kittens will begin eating solid food around four weeks and should be completely weaned by 8-10 weeks.
We are all calling it about 4 weeks max.
Has little little teeth. I washed her in the hand sink to check for fleas or mites. But found none, just grease and dirt.

Kitten milk. Not human milk. Sold at Petsmart.
"human milk"? :D

Milk a human and give it to the kitteh :p

You can choose to get kitten milk, but normal cow milk is good enough. But don't get "no fat" milk or stuff like that. 3% fat is ok.

You can choose to get kitten milk, but normal cow milk is good enough. But don't get "no fat" milk or stuff like that. 3% fat is ok.

NO! Cow's milk is really bad for cats. Please stay away from giving advice you know absolutely nothing about.

I went and got some baby formula from CVS and will stop by Petsmart on the way home.

There is a kitten formula. They can't process solid food so it will pull their guts out. I've seen enough tragedies and crying children to be pretty sure I know what I'm saying.

Are looking for it to be a working cat or just a pet?

Working cat?
He will just join the fleet of cats at home, in door cats. Except for hanging out on the breezeway.

Mouser and pest control. Sounds like you don't need one. Raising a good mouser is a bit different than normal.

NO! Cow's milk is really bad for cats. Please stay away from giving advice you know absolutely nothing about.

I fed kittens with milk you buy at the store and nothing bad happened. You just need to boil it a bit first and don't feed them cold milk, room temperature is good. I know that if you look online, you'll find some other answers, but that's because people want to sell their product.

Mouser and pest control. Sounds like you don't need one. Raising a good mouser is a bit different than normal.
No, we had a squirrel make his way into a closet from the ceiling. The other cats had no idea what to do.
The dog wanted to give chase, but he was pretty old. Finally got it out by leaving a couple doors open.

I fed kittens with milk you buy at the store and nothing bad happened. You just need to boil it a bit first and don't feed them cold milk, room temperature is good. I know that if you look online, you'll find some other answers, but that's because people want to sell their product.
Well it was eating out of a dumpster while living in an old tire. I dont think milk will kill it, but I will get something with more protein and vitamins.

Sorry, but you're dead wrong. Cow's milk is really really bad for cats. Nothing to do with temperature and everything to do with lactose. They cannot digest sugar and the milk will make them vomit, give them diarrhea and will cause future digestive problems if they are given too much. This is fact.

Cats and Milk: Lactose Intolerance and Other Dietary Concerns

Yes it is bad for kittens.. It gives them the runs.

No, we had a squirrel make his way into a closet from the ceiling. The other cats had no idea what to do.
The dog wanted to give chase, but he was pretty old. Finally got it out by leaving a couple doors open.

My cats would be going, "Ohh how delightful, its lunch time. Guess whats on the menu?" And the chase would be on. Rodents of any sort on my property have very limited life spans. Unless they are behind glass, in a terreraium. Well the ones behind glass are bit safer. One of my cats has knack for getting into "secure" spaces. One kids pet mice ended up a snack, after the cat figured out how to open the lid. He's now working on figuring out the latch I installed now. I am curious to see if he figures it out.

Any idea how old it is? If it's past weening age, I would get some soft kitty food, or soak some dry food in water to soften it. If it's likely less than six weeks or so, then maybe some diluted down milk, just to see how it tolerates it.

My cats would be going, "Ohh how delightful, its lunch time. Guess whats on the menu?" And the chase would be on. Rodents of any sort on my property have very limited life spans. Unless they are behind glass, in a terreraium. Well the ones behind glass are bit safer. One of my cats has knack for getting into "secure" spaces. One kids pet mice ended up a snack, after the cat figured out how to open the lid. He's now working on figuring out the latch I installed now. I am curious to see if he figures it out.
We had mousers on our 5 acres in Arcola Virginia many years ago. Brought all manner of rodents and snakes from the sunflower fields next door.

b

Well it was eating out of a dumpster while living in an old tire. I dont think milk will kill it, but I will get something with more protein and vitamins.

The kitten was eating solid food on its own? It may bit older then you think. In any case I would still give milk as a supplement first in bottle then bowl. She might be undersized due to nutrition deficiencies. That's why I would supplement if she's eating solid foods. She should be able to make up some growth with a bit supplement. I presume your other cats are at least tolerating her presence?

Back
Top Bottom