• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What to expect if Amy Coney Barrett is Trump's choice for the court!

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
First let me say, I am a practicing Catholic and a Trustee of my church, so what I am writing is how many Catholics feel about this group Barrett belongs to. They are a bunch of loony toons. They have gone back to the belief that the wife is subservient to her husband. In fact the group was the model for the book and the TV show The Handmaid's Tale. And this woman looks to her religion for her decisions on the bench rather than the constitution. If she gets on the court it will not only be Roe and the ACA that goes, but LGBTQ rights will aalso be gone, and if you are using any kind of contraceptive, the church also out laws those. There was a time in this country where it was illegal to even sell them as much as use contraceptives, we could be going there again. I do not know any of the other women Trump is looking at, but I can not see anyone worse than this woman.

Her religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender are 100% irrelevant.

The only thing that is relevant is that with her on the court and with a 9 Justice makeup, every single Democratic policy will be blocked and killed in the courts.

There could be 435 Democrats in the House, 100 Democrats in the Senate and Democrats in the White House, and all of their bills and executive orders will die a slow and miserable death. If Biden farts it will be blocked in the courts.

Forget the nominee's religion or whether she's left handed or right handed. None of that crap matters.

The good thing is, she has been quite prolific in her opinions about things like reproductive rights, ("Roe v Wade was a mistake and should be overturned"). The ACA, ( she want to tear it out, "roots and branches"). LBTQ rights? (They don't exist, even as people). She is a member of a christian sect that has the husband at the head of the family. Church rulers put out edicts to the men and the men disseminate the information down to the rest of the family. Can you say Patriarchy? I have no problem with them living their lives the way they choose, but there is no way in hell they should have a seat on the SC where she can apply those choices to the rest of us. And if you think she should, how would you feel about a branch dividian who thought it should be legal to marry off multiple young girls to older men.

She has seven kids, five biological, and two adopted. Roe v Wade is in the cross-hairs........

I’m still not sure that Trump doesn’t nominates the FL, judge with Cuban heritage.......

First let me say, I am a practicing Catholic and a Trustee of my church, so what I am writing is how many Catholics feel about this group Barrett belongs to. They are a bunch of loony toons. They have gone back to the belief that the wife is subservient to her husband. In fact the group was the model for the book and the TV show The Handmaid's Tale. And this woman looks to her religion for her decisions on the bench rather than the constitution. If she gets on the court it will not only be Roe and the ACA that goes, but LGBTQ rights will aalso be gone, and if you are using any kind of contraceptive, the church also out laws those. There was a time in this country where it was illegal to even sell them as much as use contraceptives, we could be going there again. I do not know any of the other women Trump is looking at, but I can not see anyone worse than this woman.
Ah, no wonder the new Trumpian Right loves her.

Yes, it will be just like The Handmaiden's Tale. Guarn-damned-teed.

All I can say is...I told ya so.

if they go with a right wing extremist to replace a respected liberal, then the Democrats are going to have to fight back. i haven't supported packing the court and still don't yet, but if King Biff does this as a "**** you" to his opponents, then Democrats are going to have to respond if they take back the Senate. these are lifetime appointments.

Her religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender are 100% irrelevant.

The only thing that is relevant is that with her on the court and with a 9 Justice makeup, every single Democratic policy will be blocked and killed in the courts.

There could be 435 Democrats in the House, 100 Democrats in the Senate and Democrats in the White House, and all of their bills and executive orders will die a slow and miserable death. If Biden farts it will be blocked in the courts.

Forget the nominee's religion or whether she's left handed or right handed. None of that crap matters.

I say just pack the court if the theocrats become unreasonable. Conservatism is dying. The vast majority of Americans don't agree with these theocrats and homophobes. They've lost the culture war. They just won't admit it to themselves.

Funny how "blatant power grab" is ok when its your side.

if they go with a right wing extremist to replace a respected liberal, then the Democrats are going to have to fight back. i haven't supported packing the court and still don't yet, but if King Biff does this as a "**** you" to his opponents, then Democrats are going to have to respond if they take back the Senate. these are lifetime appointments.

I know some Catholics who don't use birth control. Is she one of those?

The good thing is, she has been quite prolific in her opinions about things like reproductive rights, ("Roe v Wade was a mistake and should be overturned"). The ACA, ( she want to tear it out, "roots and branches"). LBTQ rights? (They don't exist, even as people). She is a member of a christian sect that has the husband at the head of the family. Church rulers put out edicts to the men and the men disseminate the information down to the rest of the family. Can you say Patriarchy? I have no problem with them living their lives the way they choose, but there is no way in hell they should have a seat on the SC where she can apply those choices to the rest of us. And if you think she should, how would you feel about a branch dividian who thought it should be legal to marry off multiple young girls to older men.
I am wondering if the GOP will allow hearings, because I would like her to answer for this

I say just pack the court if the theocrats become unreasonable. Conservatism is dying. The vast majority of Americans don't agree with these theocrats and homophobes. They've lost the culture war. They just won't admit it to themselves.

"If the theocrats become unreasonable" is a recipe for disaster. Imagine you've got just two years of a Senate and House majority. It takes about that long for a case to wind its way to the Supreme court, at which point you begin watching all of your legislative agendas die. So by the time you've decided that the right wing courts are being "unreasonable," you're out of power and it's too late. You've accomplished nothing and you can watch Trump sworn into his second term of office on January 2025.

If Democrats get a majority this November, they have to act ****ing fast. On day one they have to kill the filibuster, day two immediately start appointing and confirming Justices, day three pass HR1, day four admit PR and DC into the union, then keep appointing justices so that by the time HR1 reaches the SC it actually survives.

You people have officially lost it. Again. Keep going, its nothing if not entertaining.

I believe that NewsWEAK article has been discredited numerous times in the last few days. The author of The Handmaiden's Tales says that group IS NOT the model for her book.

You people have officially lost it. Again. Keep going, its nothing if not entertaining.

You know something? That's exactly what we said about you guys all throughout 2016. Then you took over all of government. There's a lesson in that, and I wonder if you're able to see it. I'm guessing not.

Boo hoo. I don't smear an individual based on sheer imagination or ignorance. Go away.

You know something? That's exactly what we said about you guys all throughout 2016. Then you took over all of government. There's a lesson in that, and I wonder if you're able to see it. I'm guessing not.

Not even close to being true. The alleged "rightwing" justices frequently crossover to agree with their "leftwing" colleagues. Far more so than the lefties cross to the right. And, frequently 5-4 decisions are NOT righties vs lefties. IF you recall O'care pasted only because Chief Justice Roberts sided with lefties.

And all the more reason to get her sworn in, and soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Answer for what? Baseless smear attacks? You people tried that with Kavanaugh and it went badly. Do you want to not only hand Trump the election but wrap it up in a nice bow?

I am wondering if the GOP will allow hearings, because I would like her to answer for this

She's a member of a far-right religious group that some call a cult, and she has avoided answering questions about her membership. Before we talk about the danger of her on the Supreme Court, let's remember she already IS on the Appeals Court.

And five Democrats voted for THAT, including Hillary's VP pick, Tim Kaine. How could she lose with such good judgment?

Any practicing Catholic loves this choice. She upholds every moral practice. The idea that she shouldn't promote any Catholic position is ridiculous, for all Catholic positions are morally perfect. You should be worried about the rampant IMmoral laws currently on he books.

It's hard to imagine a better nominee than this foxy woman.

I remember the fear of JFK's religion when he was elected President. They were unfounded.

I would hope that someone on the SC will rule based on the law and not personal opinions.

A devout Catholic is not an extremist of any kind unless you consider Jesus an extremist. Some did, I guess.

oopsie, looks like your article didn't know what they were talking about:

Back
Top Bottom