• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What to do with child sex offenders?

"The need for detrimental predators to be kept away from our children. I see that very rational. It's a must, considering now they're not only robbing them of their innocence, they're robbing them of their lives to remove the witness." I agree. But I don't see prison as the only answer to that problem. I see it as a joint procedure. You go to prison for a mandatory minimum, all the while receiving counseling (you don't think there is a disease, but I do) to help them with the disease. There are those who do it for the pure fun of doing it-those people should be locked up in a mental institution so they can receive counseling and stay in there until they don't like it anymore. If they can't not like it anymore, then throw them in a cage fight (no, kidding)-keep them there. That is the benefit of my theory, they stay there until they don't like it, until they are able to resist that urge, that compulsion. You should check out what they do to test in Colorado if you don't believe it is possible to know for sure.

If and when they got out, they would be facing severe restrictions on their freedom. Calling in once a day, not being allowed to do blah, be in range of blah, agree to surveilence, etc.

If all you seek is revenge, you are not interested in justice. Justice breeds rehabilitation, it doesn't breed hatred. That is not what the true justice system is about. That is the main problem with our prisons. We look to them merely to punish instead of rehabilitate.

"Yes change needs to happen, and people who think every behavior is a "disease" only leave more people to be victimized. Personal responsibility.. an adult is responsible for his actions. Labeling pedophilia a "disease" makes it the feel good story for the moment. Let's cure the child rapist. NO... let's get them off the streets permanently, so that our children stop disappearring and ending up in their hands. Let's STOP coddling them, giving them nothing but chances to re-offend." I don't think every disease is a disease. Aggravated assault against a woman for her purse is not a disease, running over a man because you are drunk is not a disease (the alcoholism is though), etc. Pedophilia is a known disease (hence the name) and is considered by most of the medical practicioners I know to be curable (my family is split law and medicine, what can I do). We aren't coddling them, we are helping them get healthy while insuring that they are locked up for a long time. I am a strong believer in second chances, maybe that is a hinderence to me, but I believe in the basic human goodness and everyone has it in them, sometimes they just need help.

"Pedophilia is a known disease (hence the name) and is considered by most of the medical practicioners I know to be curable (my family is split law and medicine, what can I do). We aren't coddling them, we are helping them get healthy while insuring that they are locked up for a long time. I am a strong believer in second chances, maybe that is a hinderence to me, but I believe in the basic human goodness and everyone has it in them, sometimes they just need help."

Well, I won't burst that bubble then. Seems a nice Eutopian escape to the realities of MOST of these offenders, and if you need examples, go back and read the Polly Klaas case, Jessica Lunsford, Shasta and Dylan Groehne... the "diseased" individual, as you would say, in this case, posted a 15,000 dollar bond only 3 months ago. He was in jail on charges of molesting a 6 year old boy and attempting to molest an 8 year old boy. and now? 3 people are dead, Shasta was molested repeatedly and Dylan is believed to be dead, so make that 4. There's your second chances.

Yeah, I never did adress bond did I? If you read my posts, you would see that I would probably be for the idea of restricting bond, just like they do for many that are deemed a threat to society. I remember fox commenting on the bond being so low, which is completely correct. That would have to be adressed, and I hadn't adressed that yet...so where does that fit into my plan...

I guess this is what I would think (and this is tenative since I haven't had time to think it out)...the minimum bond would be above one million and when they were let out, they faced the same restrictions that anybody convicted of molesting a child would face. I think that would be the most logical, because then the police could track them and make sure they didn't skip town, etc.

This isn't defending the man for what he did to those people, murdering them, but he never got a trial for the previous one, so it theoretically isn't a second chance. Just saying.

What do we do with them? Oh you all are gonna love teacher now.I don't know about we. I can only speak for I. I have 3 girls and a boy. If I knew for sure one of mine was molested. I would kill them. Destroy the body and take that knowledge to the grave. In a friggin heartbeat. I could care less what anyone thinks. I do know the fathers of the children in the future who will not be molested would thank me. If every father did that the first time think of the sorrow and anguish of children and families there would not be. And I would kill them in a horrid manner. If I were caught I would stand proudly in front of a jury and say aloud "Yes, I did it." You hear of the hard time child molesters have in jail. I wonder how goes the time of killers of child molesters. I would kill them. It would be my moral obligation.

Too bad we dont have common sense in the lawyer "pool" to choose from for judges anymore but with rare exception.

Political correctness which is usually the opposite of common sense has pretty much seen to that. :/

ShamMol said:
Yeah, I never did adress bond did I? If you read my posts, you would see that I would probably be for the idea of restricting bond, just like they do for many that are deemed a threat to society. I remember fox commenting on the bond being so low, which is completely correct. That would have to be adressed, and I hadn't adressed that yet...so where does that fit into my plan...

I guess this is what I would think (and this is tenative since I haven't had time to think it out)...the minimum bond would be above one million and when they were let out, they faced the same restrictions that anybody convicted of molesting a child would face. I think that would be the most logical, because then the police could track them and make sure they didn't skip town, etc.

This isn't defending the man for what he did to those people, murdering them, but he never got a trial for the previous one, so it theoretically isn't a second chance. Just saying.

Basically what you're saying is local law enforcement would then become glorified babysitters for grown man who can't keep their hands off little boys and girls? This is definitely alot of work to keep your notion that "there's a second chance for everyone" going. Keep em in jail... no one has to track em. They can't get near kids. They probably become Bubba's bitch boy in prison.. and FINALLY find some satisfaction in their miserable existences. Do you wish to deny them that?

And Joseph Edward Duncan, the man accused of molesting little Shasta, and the two boys last year... was also convicted previously... I believe in Florida. As soon as I find the sicko's record.. I'll post it for you. So again... there's your second chances.

janice said:
Too bad we dont have common sense in the lawyer "pool" to choose from for judges anymore but with rare exception.

Political correctness which is usually the opposite of common sense has pretty much seen to that. :/
You must not know many good lawyers then. There are so many great ones out there and many are chosen for judgeships, but not always. Some of the best are in the state courtrooms, plying their trade. You should study up on some of those types of people who actually try and make a difference.

PC has its place, but not all the time.

Yes, local law enforcement would do their job. Completely right on the money. Please, try and understand, in this current prison system, we will never help any of these people, and they will likely return to their ways because our prison system is built on vengeance and not harmony. To steal a quote from Batman (which if you haven't seen it...you have to, amazing movie) "Justice isn't about personal revenge." Justice is harmony and the only way to do that is to reform the system and make it work, and only then may we be able to implement my theory which I believe would significantly lower the recitivism rate. Also understand, that they wouldn't get out of prison until they proved to the doctors they never wanted to do that again and go through the same tests that are put onto Colorado sex offenders. Second chances would work when my system was in place, not before. You can post all you want about records and stuff, but that won't prove anything but a broken system. We need to fix the system, then we need to fix the individuals, and then we can hopefully fix this problem.

I would love to have a discussion about our prisons and the big man named "Bubba" with you anytime.

ShamMol said:
Yes, local law enforcement would do their job. Completely right on the money. Please, try and understand, in this current prison system, we will never help any of these people, and they will likely return to their ways because our prison system is built on vengeance and not harmony. To steal a quote from Batman (which if you haven't seen it...you have to, amazing movie) "Justice isn't about personal revenge." Justice is harmony and the only way to do that is to reform the system and make it work, and only then may we be able to implement my theory which I believe would significantly lower the recitivism rate. Also understand, that they wouldn't get out of prison until they proved to the doctors they never wanted to do that again and go through the same tests that are put onto Colorado sex offenders. Second chances would work when my system was in place, not before. You can post all you want about records and stuff, but that won't prove anything but a broken system. We need to fix the system, then we need to fix the individuals, and then we can hopefully fix this problem.

I would love to have a discussion about our prisons and the big man named "Bubba" with you anytime.

Discuss what? That men like "Bubba" hate two kinds of inmates.. lawyers, obviously, and child rapists. The inmates in Florida beat Dahmer to death.... why? Because he was a sicko.

Are you advocating special prisons just for these men because you fear they will get hurt? If they don't want to get hurt... DON'T RAPE A CHILD! It's NOT rocket science it's common sense.

And also... the police would be doing their job? babysitting? hmmmm alright... so each rapist that gets out would have 2 cops watching him at all times. And then who fights the crime and investigates the thefts, the murders, etc?

Eutopia, dude, cannot work on a planet where men CHOOSE to do violence against another. You can believe it's a disease all you want too. Experience tells me otherwise.

debate_junkie said:
Discuss what? That men like "Bubba" hate two kinds of inmates.. lawyers, obviously, and child rapists. The inmates in Florida beat Dahmer to death.... why? Because he was a sicko.

Are you advocating special prisons just for these men because you fear they will get hurt? If they don't want to get hurt... DON'T RAPE A CHILD! It's NOT rocket science it's common sense.

And also... the police would be doing their job? babysitting? hmmmm alright... so each rapist that gets out would have 2 cops watching him at all times. And then who fights the crime and investigates the thefts, the murders, etc?

Eutopia, dude, cannot work on a planet where men CHOOSE to do violence against another. You can believe it's a disease all you want too. Experience tells me otherwise.
Your experience means something to you, but my experience with these people through my aunt tells me a different thing.

What happens in prisons is not right in general and before anything like my theory can happen, we must reform it and change basic principles within it and upgrade them, especially the state prisons (which in my area are literal hell holes with horrible running water that people get sick from-not humane). We must reform the system first and then maybe we wouldn't have as many Bubbas.

The police wouldn't be babysitting, they would be protecting the community and the man or woman they are following. When someone is under suspision or under threat, it is not uncommon for police to be assigned to that person. It would be no different here. It would mean hiring more cops, which should be done regardless of what happens with my theory.

Prison beatings should never happen in the first place and it is horrible to say that they are right.

call me crazy but i dont see why this is such a complicated issue. morally, most people feel that child molestation is as bad, if not worse than, murder. sentences should be longer and length should be in relation of the degree of the crime committed (molestors get x years, rapes get x years, etc.). we also need to stay with a strict 2 strikes program. repeat offenders get life...period. im a firm believer in due process and fair punishment but child predators should have the book thrown at them for committing these crimes.

prison overcrowding is definitely an issue but thats another issue. our prison system is in need of complete reform.

ShamMol said:
Prison beatings should never happen in the first place and it is horrible to say that they are right.

you're right, but does it make me un-christian to feel ok about child rapists getting lit up by some inmates? haha

ShamMol said:

you're right, but does it make me un-christian to feel ok about a child rapist getting lit up by some inmates? haha

FiremanRyan said:
you're right, but does it make me un-christian to feel ok about child rapists getting lit up by some inmates? haha
To quote family guy..."Yes, yes it does make you a bad person." Instead of person though, put Christian.

ShamMol said:
To quote family guy..."Yes, yes it does make you a bad person." Instead of person though, put Christian.

How someone can have sympathy for these unscrupulous degenerates is beyond me. I close on this topic. I'll only undo every bit of restraint I have been keeping.

We aren't showing sympathy, haven't you got that from my posts? What we want is to change them and insure they are changed before they go back into the world.

Back
Top Bottom