• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What to do with child sex offenders?

Cougar

New member
Joined
Jun 14, 2005
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Unfortunately, a lot of 'air time' has been spent showing the darker side of our local communities. Lately, it seems as though we can't go more than a week with out hearing about these repeat sex offenders. My question: What do we do with them?

What do we know:
1)Well we know that child sex offenders suffer from a mental disease, which is defined within the DSM IV. Some experts even argue that there is an addiction an these urges can not be controlled; hence the high run rate of repeat offenders.
2)We also know that our current system of laws has not been enough to protect the rest of the community ie: Meaghans Law et al.

What do we do?
1) I say we lengthen jail terms and even extend the death sentence where available
2) If/When we let them out we have to track these individuals immediately, GPS etc.
3) Castration: We should reserve the right to eliminate (in part) the drive that may cause these individuals to commit these crimes


I actually do not think these measures are too extreme. Although the ACLU will be up in arms about the infringement on their civil liberties.. I say its worth the fight. I think the ACLU will quickly back down over this highly emotional (let alone political) fight b/c even they wouldn't want to be seen as siding with child sex offenders. Obviously, our attempts at rehabilitation have not worked for this particular 'class' of offender. Now we have to take extreme measures to protect the rest of our community....
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
11,987
Reaction score
6,090
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Moved to US Politics forum.

Excellent topic.

From what I have read, castration is not really a viable solution as there have been reports of the effect going the opposite as intended. Also, what about females that are sexual offenders?

1) I say we lengthen jail terms and even extend the death sentence where available
2) If/When we let them out we have to track these individuals immediately, GPS etc.
I agree with these two.
 

debate_junkie

Worst Nightmare
Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
19
Location
Pennsylvania
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
galenrox said:
"Even they", what's that supposed to mean? I'm a member of the ACLU, and I hate child sex offenders just as much as the next guy. I'd say the only problem would lie under the violation of "no cruel and unusual punishment", which I think casteration would fall under.
If the death penalty applies, use it on them, I'd say. I don't like the death penalty, but if anyone deserves it, it's the guys who rape kids and then murder them.
I'd say less longer jail terms, and more so just let the other prisoners know what they're in for. That should scare the love of God into those mother****ers!

For one, Meagan's Law needs a national data base to track them. These guys are disappearing into other communities, after being let out, because they refuse to report to parole officers, and register in communities.

Courts have no problems putting electronic bracelets on people on house arrest. Why not make that a contingent of a sex offender's release? Having some type of device that their movements can be tracked.

We have been too trusting, for far too long, that these offenders will do ALL they are required to upon release from prison. I'd say 3 strikes, but giving them 3 chances to offend is 3 too many. Too bad the "murder" of a child's innocence wouldn't fall under current murder statutes, offering life in prison with NO parole.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Strengthen law governing what happens when they get out, increase therapy inside prison to help them adress the issue, and lengthen terms until they are cured or able to resist the temptation past the mandatory minimum.
 

FiremanRyan

Active member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
283
Reaction score
1
Location
Chico, CA
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
ShamMol said:
Strengthen law governing what happens when they get out, increase therapy inside prison to help them adress the issue, and lengthen terms until they are cured or able to resist the temptation past the mandatory minimum.
i agree. this isnt a very complicated issue, the only solution is to get tough. Meagans Law is pretty much useless, you might be able to see where they live, but do you know where they are at that exact minute? longer jail sentences, therapy, and post-sentence tracking for every sex offender would cost serious money but its worth higher taxes in my opinion.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Exactly, saying "Kill them" isn't going to solve the problem. I am not saying that we should spend too much money, but if we can cure them, make sure they are properly punished with mandatory minimums (with some jurist descretion because all cases are different) that is what I would do.
 

Stherngntlmn

Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
236
Reaction score
0
Location
Richmond, Va
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Child molesters are sick with an incurable disease. I say you allow the parents of the child molested to decide upon the method of capital punishment for the child molester, whether it be being torn to pieces by alligators, shot in the head, being slit from throat to naval and allowed to die by bloodloss.. etc . If the parents are involved in the molestation, that's even worse, they should be slowly tortured for a full year, put on the rack, dipped in tanks, all while being forced to view a picture of the child they stole the innocense from. For those that the parents choose to forgive and allow mercy upon, they should be shipped to a maximum security penetentury for life. NO child molester "reformed" or otherwise should be allowed the ability to coexist with the general populace, much less a community with children.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
That is sick. Everyone who can be reformed should and I believe that most child molestors can be. If they can't, they stay in prison until they can.
 

LaMidRighter

Klattu Verata Nicto
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2005
Messages
30,534
Reaction score
10,682
Location
Louisiana
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
ShamMol said:
That is sick. Everyone who can be reformed should and I believe that most child molestors can be. If they can't, they stay in prison until they can.
Actually, child molesters have the highest recidivism rate of any released criminals, over 95% I believe. The only solution in my opinion is execution.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
LaMidRighter said:
Actually, child molesters have the highest recidivism rate of any released criminals, over 95% I believe. The only solution in my opinion is execution.
That is because they aren't treated, they are just thrown in prison. If they were treated, they would probably have a much, much, much better rate and would have the potential to be a great benefit to society. I am not saying that we shouldn't punish them. Hell no, throw them in prison for mandatory minimum and keep them there until a doctor says that they are cured.
 

Stherngntlmn

Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
236
Reaction score
0
Location
Richmond, Va
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
ShamMol said:
That is because they aren't treated, they are just thrown in prison. If they were treated, they would probably have a much, much, much better rate and would have the potential to be a great benefit to society. I am not saying that we shouldn't punish them. Hell no, throw them in prison for mandatory minimum and keep them there until a doctor says that they are cured.
democrats are so funny... "Save the life of the convicted child molester... Treat him. Care for him. Don't hate him. He's a person too." "She has the right to slaughter her unwanted unborn innocent babies if she wishes, they live off her nutrients, and therefore she has the right to decide whether they live or die"

Sometimes I think y'all don't even realize what you sound like.


Child molesters are the scum of the earth. They gave up the right to live the moment they stole the innocense of a helpless child with their perversion. You can call my idea of justice and retribution "sick" if you want... but I'd like you to immagine a sweaty 40 year old man inserting his **** into the anal cavity of a crying 5 year old girl, maybe even your daughter... and then tell me that man deserves "treatment"
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
He deserves what every human being deserves. You call it hypocrisy because I want to save lives yet support abortion? It isn't hypocrisy. I believe abortion is wrong at a point-when that fetus becomes a human being. It will always be life, but it isn't a being until it can conciously think. All humans beings deserve rights, and they don't forfeit those rights in their lifetime. All criminals, it doesn't matter what they have done, deserve to be rehabilitated and given a second chance after their rehabilitation is done.

We treat them, We don't beat them. We should try and heal rather than just say F*uck you, and we are locking you up. Justice isn't about vengeance, it is about healing and fixing what is wrong. You get your vengeance by seeing them in a horrible facility for a long time, you don't hurt them (called torture).
 

Stherngntlmn

Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
236
Reaction score
0
Location
Richmond, Va
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
ShamMol said:
He deserves what every human being deserves. You call it hypocrisy because I want to save lives yet support abortion? It isn't hypocrisy. I believe abortion is wrong at a point-when that fetus becomes a human being. It will always be life, but it isn't a being until it can conciously think. All humans beings deserve rights, and they don't forfeit those rights in their lifetime. All criminals, it doesn't matter what they have done, deserve to be rehabilitated and given a second chance after their rehabilitation is done.

We treat them, We don't beat them. We should try and heal rather than just say F*uck you, and we are locking you up. Justice isn't about vengeance, it is about healing and fixing what is wrong. You get your vengeance by seeing them in a horrible facility for a long time, you don't hurt them (called torture).
try looking in the eyes of the parent of a sexually abused child and repeating that... if you can get to the part about wanting to heal the man that raped their child without choking up or begining to feel ashamed of what you are saying... I feel very sorry for your worldview
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Stherngntlmn said:
try looking in the eyes of the parent of a sexually abused child and repeating that... if you can get to the part about wanting to heal the man that raped their child without choking up or begining to feel ashamed of what you are saying... I feel very sorry for your worldview
If it were my child that is what I would want. I would hope that with therapy, he could eventually come and apologize, but I wouldn't expect that. Feel sorry for my world view.

See unlike you, I am an extreme believer in the rights and dignity of each human being. I still say lock him/her up and for a long time, but in my eyes, it isn't for vengeance, it is for rehabilitation.
 

LaMidRighter

Klattu Verata Nicto
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2005
Messages
30,534
Reaction score
10,682
Location
Louisiana
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
As is it is almost guaranteed that my girl and I will be getting married, but we haven't decided(she hasn't anyway) whether or not to try for children. I can say this though, if anyone would molest, rape, or kill any member of my family their would only be one trial required, mine for killing the scumbag that committed the act against my family.
 

FiremanRyan

Active member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
283
Reaction score
1
Location
Chico, CA
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
i say longer prison sentences with rehabilitation. repeat offenders get life.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
FiremanRyan said:
i say longer prison sentences with rehabilitation. repeat offenders get life.
See, I like that idea, because if you were rehabilatated and then you do it again, you don't deserve a third chance.
 

debate_junkie

Worst Nightmare
Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
19
Location
Pennsylvania
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Stherngntlmn said:
try looking in the eyes of the parent of a sexually abused child and repeating that... if you can get to the part about wanting to heal the man that raped their child without choking up or begining to feel ashamed of what you are saying... I feel very sorry for your worldview

The hell with looking in the eyes of the parent... look into the eyes of the 8 year old girl who has no clue what just happened to her, but grows up the rest of her life wondering why the f**k no one protected her! And if you need to look further, here ya go buddy. Ask me any question ya want. Hell, ask me how much therapy I was given! NONE. How much rehabilitation did I get? How many people paid attention to my plight? NONE. I had to learn to finally get that creep out of my head on my own. Because, if you remember, ANY form of child abuse was a "dirty little secret" that was never talked about, and often offenders were left to keep right on going. It's NOT a secret anymore, and as long as these predators are out there, they should be watched. They should NEVER have a second chance to victimize again.


So before you say let's coddle an ADULT who has compulsions to victimize a child... coddle the children who need it, and don't get it. These kids DESERVE justice, and they aren't getting it.
 
Last edited:

Loki

Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
118
Reaction score
0
Location
Middle of nowhere Arkansas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
ShamMol said:
That is because they aren't treated, they are just thrown in prison. If they were treated, they would probably have a much, much, much better rate and would have the potential to be a great benefit to society. I am not saying that we shouldn't punish them. Hell no, throw them in prison for mandatory minimum and keep them there until a doctor says that they are cured.
OT I know, but my brother is a junkie. He's been in prison four times. He

just recently got out. He was doing drugs, hard ones, within a month. He's

had more counceling, and drug rehabilitation programs than I can count, 30

years worth. Nothing has worked. The recidivism rate among child molesters

is even higher that that of drug abusers like my brother. Life in prison, is

about the only recourse we, as a society, have.
 
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Well, gay groups all over the world are working feverishly to lower the age of consent laws. There has been success in pressuring the British government, and it is being worked on in the U.S. also.

Because I write for gay mags, I am aware that NAMBLA makes the argument that if it weren't illegal, the children wouldn't be killed to silence them from testifying. Naturally, the thought outrages me, but to their claim......our lesbian sisters make an analogous argument when they demand that abortion be legalized to prevent women and girls from being killed or harmed from unsafe abortions. By taking a previously criminal activity and making abortion now legal, lives are saved......the same argument NAMBLA makes to lower age of consent laws so children aren't killed so the adult doesn't go to jail from a crime-NAMLBA says this will save lives.

Reactions to their claim?
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Loki said:
OT I know, but my brother is a junkie. He's been in prison four times. He just recently got out. He was doing drugs, hard ones, within a month. He's had more counceling, and drug rehabilitation programs than I can count, 30 years worth. Nothing has worked. The recidivism rate among child molesters is even higher that that of drug abusers like my brother. Life in prison, is about the only recourse we, as a society, have.
Prison is not a good place to get clean, by any means. In prison, it is said that there is more drugs done than on the street, especially in female prisons. There is a reason why there is such a high recitvism rate in the US as compared to other countries, ever wonder why? No? Well, it is because we see prison as punishment. That is why. It isn't a safe place where they can do their time, think about what they did, get clean, get counseling, anything. You go there strictly for punishment and nothing else. After you get out, you are supposed to be reformed, but guess what, it ain't like that. People do horrible stuff in there just to survive each and every day and until we fix that system, we are always going to have a high recitivism rate. It isn't about coddlling the prisoners, it is about rehabilitating them to be productive members of society-get it? Combine your punishment with reform, you can't have it only one way cause then it won't work.

I honestly don't know if my idea will work. I hope it would and it would be a good thing to at least try because they are human beings and as such they should get a second chance. Put them in prison for a mandatory minimum all while receiving help with their disease. They aren't let out after that minimum until they have proven to a doctor that they are free of that disease. That is what I want. I am all for putting them in for a second child molestation offense because they got their second chance, they proved that they couldn't stay away. You may say-never put them in that situation to fail then, but then we would be treating them like animals, not humans.

But my idea would never work without general reforming of prisons in general. I have some vauge idea about the prison system, and especially the ones I have been to, it is...to put it lightly, not conductive to rehabilitation in the slightest.
 

debate_junkie

Worst Nightmare
Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
19
Location
Pennsylvania
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
ShamMol said:
I honestly don't know if my idea will work. I hope it would and it would be a good thing to at least try because they are human beings and as such they should get a second chance. Put them in prison for a mandatory minimum all while receiving help with their disease. They aren't let out after that minimum until they have proven to a doctor that they are free of that disease. That is what I want. I am all for putting them in for a second child molestation offense because they got their second chance, they proved that they couldn't stay away. You may say-never put them in that situation to fail then, but then we would be treating them like animals, not humans.

For 1, they're not acting like humans. They're acting like animals.

For 2, you may be comfortable with it. But as someone who's BEEN through it.. I'm not. I am comfortable with them being in a cell where the only thing they have to look at are 3 walls and bars.

For 3, how are they to prove they're cured of their "disease"? No doctor, I'll never touch a little boy/girl again. No doctor, I won't go near the parks, the schools, the beaches, the stores.. I'll stay away from children. Excuse my language, but bullshit! They'll get out of jail, and get lost, as has been the status quo.

And finally, it is NOT a disease. It is a gross, vile disgusting behavior that they CHOOSE to perpetrate on the weakest of our society.. children. Tell me that isn't animalistic behavior, and I'll show you a wolf pack where the Alpha wolf uses intimidation, biting, clawing, scratching, and DEATH to keep the weakest below him in check.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I'm sorry you have been through that tradgedy, but as someone who has, you cannot see this rationally. I know that sounds harsh, but I am very upfront about this subject because it is the only way to logically discuss it and our prison system.

Many doctors agree that it is indeed a disease. Many doctors try and help to cure it and can't with some people (my aunt works with those people and she hasn't been able to cure a few). Those people that doctors don't think are cured are not let back out in my theory. And there are ways to test this, some of them humane, and others not. Look at the Colorado system for examples of how they test sex offenders (some of those tests could be adapted to this). Basically, it wouldn't just be letting them out to do their harm to society, it would be us letting them out when we think they are good and ready. Monitoring would be a huge part of it and that would restrict their freedoms once they got out.

You are welcome to your opinion and your hurt, but I am looking to change the system, not get revenge. As I said before, you can't see it rationally because you obviously want revenge. I want reform. What if I were to tell you a family member of mine was molested? Would that change your opinion about waht I am trying to say? It may sound harsh what I am saying to you, but change needs to happen and people who only seek revenge and vengeance stand in the way.
 
Last edited:

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I didn't see the last part, and let me respond to that. It is animalistic behavior that should be punished. But it also shows the deep mental problems that these people have. Some of them have no disease and thus in my theory, would never be let out of prison because they could never be cured. But the others, that speaks to their severe mental problems and those need to be adressed in prison rather than fearing for their lives and trying to just survive. See, for me this all boils down to can someone be rehabilitated, and in the present prison system, very few will ever be rehabilitated because of the pervassive (no pun intended) nature into the mind of those inmates. Sorry for not including this in my original post.
 

debate_junkie

Worst Nightmare
Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
19
Location
Pennsylvania
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
ShamMol said:
I'm sorry you have been through that tradgedy, but as someone who has, you cannot see this rationally. I know that sounds harsh, but I am very upfront about this subject because it is the only way to logically discuss it and our prison system.
See what rationally? The need for detrimental predators to be kept away from our children. I see that very rational. It's a must, considering now they're not only robbing them of their innocence, they're robbing them of their lives to remove the witness.

ShamMol said:
Many doctors agree that it is indeed a disease. Many doctors try and help to cure it and can't with some people (my aunt works with those people and she hasn't been able to cure a few).
The question was asked previously... how can a doctor know they're cured? It is shady, at best, to say they truthfully can know. Anyone can say they're cured. Anyone can answer the questions right. Doctors cannot see into the minds of these animal's, nor can they control their thoughts. So how is it known?

ShamMol said:
Those people that doctors don't think are cured are not let back out in my theory. And there are ways to test this, some of them humane, and others not. Look at the Colorado system for examples of how they test sex offenders (some of those tests could be adapted to this). Basically, it wouldn't just be letting them out to do their harm to society, it would be us letting them out when we think they are good and ready. Monitoring would be a huge part of it and that would restrict their freedoms once they got out.
Their freedoms SHOULD be restricted. That's the whole point to keeping them in prison and off the streets. Children can actually be kids again, and not have to live in fear of assholes who don't know how to keep their hands and other various body parts off of them.

ShamMol said:
You are welcome to your opinion and your hurt,
You are much to kind. I can finally sleep knowing you've granted permission for me to feel as I do.

ShamMol said:
but I am looking to change the system, not get revenge. As I said before, you can't see it rationally because you obviously want revenge.
If wanting the highest amount of justice we can give our kids is wanting revenge, so be it. I'll wear that proudly.

ShamMol said:
I want reform.
Reform? Would that be before or after they've victimized numerous children because they didn't register, and no one could find them.

ShamMol said:
What if I were to tell you a family member of mine was molested?
I would say my heart goes out to them from one victim to another.

ShamMol said:
Would that change your opinion about waht I am trying to say?
Not a bit.

ShamMol said:
It may sound harsh what I am saying to you, but change needs to happen and people who only seek revenge and vengeance stand in the way.
Yes change needs to happen, and people who think every behavior is a "disease" only leave more people to be victimized. Personal responsibility.. an adult is responsible for his actions. Labeling pedophilia a "disease" makes it the feel good story for the moment. Let's cure the child rapist. NO... let's get them off the streets permanently, so that our children stop disappearring and ending up in their hands. Let's STOP coddling them, giving them nothing but chances to re-offend.
 
Top Bottom