• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What thoughts immidiately come to mind when you see this image?

RetiredNSmilin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
What thoughts immediately come to mind when you see this image?

This is not some long drawn out constitutional discussion about any current SCOTUS decision, protester's right, or anything else.

This is an honest question about what thoughts immediately comes into your head when you see this image.

US_Flag_Burn2.jpg

This is not some long drawn out constitutional discussion about any current SCOTUS decision, protester's right, or anything else.

This is an honest question about what thoughts immediately comes into your head when you see this image.

View attachment 67210604

Somebody lit their house on fire, in political protest. That's great idea, more should do. Really.

Freedom of speech and how some abuse this privilege.

Captain of our fairy band,
Helena is here at hand,
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be!

View attachment 67210604

What comes to my mind is that it is ironic that the very statement that this person is trying to make by burning the flag is made possible by the freedom of expression that the flag stands for.

Laziness (as in it is a lazy form of protest)
Pride (that I live in a country where this is allowed. Because I have lived in countries where such disrespect will get you incarcerated or worse and it is NOT better)

I see this as an ACTION, and not speech.
Writing, and saying something is speech.
I see this as an action.

That being said, I see this action as spurring me to another action.
Grabbing a fire extinguisher to put it out, & if I was there before, I would have tried to stop its being put to the torch in the first place.

When you believe in an individual despot's right to destroy our freedoms, as a right they have, then you need to step back and recalibrate your moral and ethical compass.
It is completely askew.

We are a country at war.

If you see the desecration of this country's flag as a form of free speech, then fine, but find out just exactly what the hell that "speech" is saying before you blindly support it.

Last edited:
Violent thoughts, I admit..

Burning a flag attached to your house? :lol:

Laziness (as in it is a lazy form of protest)
Pride (that I live in a country where this is allowed. Because I have lived in countries where such disrespect will get you incarcerated or worse and it is NOT better)

I have to agree.

Although my measure of freedom is if a person can order a 500 round case of military caliber ammunition and have it delivered to their doorstep.
It takes a trusting government to allow their citizens to do that.
It tells me whether the government sees me as someone to be controlled and feared, or as someone who's judgment can be trusted.

View attachment 67210604

It pisses me off

It makes me angry....but then I remember that we are a country of freedoms.

I don't agree with anyone doing this AT ALL but I agree that they have a right to do so

Do I think they are misguided? Yep

Maybe even they have come to hate our country....I dunno

But this country allows all free speech...not just the stuff we want to see and hear

It pains me, but I have to allow it to happen....

What are you so mad about?

Is my first thought. Go spend some time somewhere else less fortunate and you'll be kissing that flag.

Although my measure of freedom is if a person can order a 500 round case of military caliber ammunition and have it delivered to their doorstep.

Liberals "MILITARY GRADE OMG!!!! BAN BAN BAN"

Me "I'd much rather be shot with military grade ammunition than civilian grade ammunition any day"

Liberals "????? ... Liar!!"

Lib Tip: military grade=the humane stuff

Civialians can get and use in defense the stuff that will literally tear you to shreds on impact, military grade not so much, you can get non-military grade ammunition in military calibers too though..

Just made me think of that..

Anyway yeah I agree with your post, it is a good measure of freedom, just as the full auto ban is a measure of the lack of..

Liberals "MILITARY GRADE OMG!!!! BAN BAN BAN"

Me "I'd much rather be shot with military grade ammunition than civilian grade ammunition any day"

Liberals "????? ... Liar!!"

Lib Tip: military grade=the humane stuff

Civialians can get and use in defense the stuff that will literally tear you to shreds on impact, military grade not so much, you can get non-military grade ammunition in military calibers too though..

Just made me think of that..

Anyway yeah I agree with your post, it is a good measure of freedom, just as the full auto ban is a measure of the lack of..

What? You don't want to get shot by something like this?

That's the funny thing. Military weaponry is much more restricted, due to Geneva Convention regulations.

well i have a different take then most people on the flag.

since i do a lot of reading on the founders and what their ideas were, i look at the u.s. flag as being a symbol of the federal government and not of the 50 states.

i don't agree with burning the flag, however i recognize people have the liberty to exercise many of their rights they have in ways i disagree with.

View attachment 67210604

somebody exercising their Constitutional rights - in a stupid manner

what did i win?

It's a form of protest where the person declares themselves an enemy of the state as the obvious symbology being presented.

View attachment 67210604

It tells me that somebody is not happy with America.

I agree with Bubba. Its a stupid protest. At best. Usually...those interested in flag burnings are no different than Klansmen and cross burnings. They give no thought to what they are actually doing and their only intent is to piss people off, inflame their passions, hurt feelings...whatever. Their actions to me are irrelevant and speak volumes of them. It says nothing of the flag and what the flag represents.

View attachment 67210604

Enemy.

Back
Top Bottom