• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What should the police do in this scenario?

What should the police do in this scenario?

• Total voters

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

So this article got me thinking about a possible scenario.

Scenario:
There is an active shooter that is causing havoc and another citizen, who is also armed, decides to fire back in defense of those being attacked by the shooter. In this case, both are wearing plain clothes and both people are unknown to the cops.

What should the cops do in this scenario?

Last edited:

Scenario:
There is an active shooter that is causing havoc and another citizen, who is also armed, decides to fire back in defense of those being attacked by the shooter. In this case, both are wearing plain clothes and both people are unknown to the cops. What should the cops do in this scenario?

Flip a coin. /s

Scenario:
There is an active shooter that is causing havoc and another citizen, who is also armed, decides to fire back in defense of those being attacked by the shooter. In this case, both are wearing plain clothes and both people are unknown to the cops.

It's already happening...

Scenario:

Tell everyone to drop their weapons and shoot whoever doesn't.

Scenario:

You forgot to say how old these guys are. Is this after they allow elementry school children to arm themselves for self defense?

Scenario:

How would having a permit make it any less confusing?

How would having a permit make it any less confusing?
Good question, however, permit or not, the question the police must face in the scenario is the same.

Good question, however, permit or not, the question the police must face in the scenario is the same.

I agree it a tough situation for the officers, but I think the question would be do the complexity of situations like these override an individuals right to carry a firearm for self defense

Scenario:

I don't like your poll choices but I thought about it a bit and there are no good choices. The police show up and there's more than one person with a gun drawn it's impossible for them to make a decision based on their training and experience. As we saw with Rittenhouse they might drive right past the shooter, or in other scenarios they might kill an innocent person (such as the guy who drew on Rittenhouse and was shot in the arm).

Scenario:

The default option is shoot them both.

It's already happened.

Scenario:

They should definitely stand around and wait until everything is safe before they do anything, like they've done in pretty much every major mass shooting where they show up.

It’s a tough call that might have to be made in a split second and I’m grateful there are people out there who have decided to take on that job.

Maybe ask what the good guy in that scenario should do. And that’s to make damn sure you identify yourself when the police arrive.

Scenario:

Generally if someone is there to respond the event is over much quicker. If it lasts, then officers can take over from the citizen that hasn't stopped the shooter yet.

Scenario:

Shoot them all, let GOD sort the badies out from the goodies, then they can apologize for mistakenly killing the good person.

After all the dead good person is merely ACCEPTABLE COLLATERAL DAMAGE to maintain our FREEDOM.

Not like they were the UNBORN.

You OP scenario has already played out in America.

What if the good person with the gun doesn't understand English or is deaf?
If he's capable of taking on a bad guy with a gun, he'd better be capable of following a policeman's orders...or he's going to get shot.

What "what if" are you going to come up with next? What if the good guy with a gun has no hands and the gun is part of a prosthetic that's strapped to his arm and he's unable to drop his gun? How about that one?

If he's capable of taking on a bad guy with a gun, he's better be capable of following a policeman's orders...or he's going to get shot.
What if the officer fires before the person can comply?

There are some trigger happy police out there.

According to the IFPD statement, officers “heard yelling” as they neared the backyard, where they saw a man in a black shirt with a gun. Officers reportedly told the man to drop the weapon; Johnson, the police chief, said that what happened next is unclear.

“We do not currently have answers as to what exactly occurred during these moments,” Johnson said in a statement. “We do know that during this interaction, an Idaho Falls Police Officer discharged his service weapon firing one shot which struck the man.”

Case in point.

If he's capable of taking on a bad guy with a gun, he'd better be capable of following a policeman's orders...or he's going to get shot.

What "what if" are you going to come up with next? What if the good guy with a gun has no hands and the gun is part of a prosthetic that's strapped to his arm and he's unable to drop his gun? How about that one?
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I don't like your poll choices but I thought about it a bit and there are no good choices. The police show up and there's more than one person with a gun drawn it's impossible for them to make a decision based on their training and experience. As we saw with Rittenhouse they might drive right past the shooter, or in other scenarios they might kill an innocent person (such as the guy who drew on Rittenhouse and was shot in the arm).
The police didn’t shoot Gaige Grosskreutz, the drunk who had his carry license revoked.

Rittenhouse had the rifle hanging low and his hands up when the police approached and that’s why no action was taken against him. He also didn’t commit any crime

My "what if" scenarios were based on REAL WORLD instances I am already familiar with.

What if the good person with the gun doesn't understand English or is deaf?

Some times bad things happen to good people for no reason. Your hypothetical deaf person had a choice to make, and made it knowing the potential consequences.

Scenario:

How often do you liberals need to be told??? If everyone carries a gun there won't be any shootings.

Some times bad things happen to good people for no reason. Your hypothetical deaf person had a choice to make, and made it knowing the potential consequences.
AKA

ACCEPTABLE COLLATERAL DAMAGE

;)(y)

Back
Top Bottom