• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What Should the goal(s) of our Penal system be?

What should the goal of our penal system be?

• Rehabilitation (try to turn every criminal into a member of society)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Punishment (revenge for wrongs committed)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Rehabilitation and protection of society (REAL life sentences for those deemed un-rehabilitable)

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Punishment, and rehabilitation if possible (main focus on the victims and their sense of closure)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Rehabilitation, punishment and the protection of society

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Jamesrage:
So you are a junkie with out a job
What's your definition of a junkie?

Billo_Really said:
What's your definition of a junkie?

You still smoking that herb?

You still smoking that herb?
Did you go to school in a long bus or a short bus? When you were a kid, did you wear hockey equipment but you weren't on a team?

I told you, I stopped ten years ago.

Billo_Really said:

If you have not done any thing for over ten years then you are not a degenerate junkie.

If you have not done any thing for over ten years then you are not a degenerate junkie.
Thank you. And for your information, I do think America is the best country in the world.

Seeing how this thread got off topic a little,I will try to stear back on the subject of punishment or rehabilitation.

Was this thread made in repsonse because that rat child molester supporter judge Judge Edward Cashman who gave a child molester only 60 days?

Rat vermin child molester supporter judge reveals his true colors.

This is what this rat vermin pedophiler supporter in a black robe said.

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?s=4325804

The judge says did it because he no longer believes in punishment and he wants to speed the rapist's entry into a rehabilitation program.

jamesrage said:
Seeing how this thread got off topic a little,I will try to stear back on the subject of punishment or rehabilitation.

Was this thread made in repsonse because that rat child molester supporter judge Judge Edward Cashman who gave a child molester only 60 days?

Rat vermin child molester supporter judge reveals his true colors.

This is what this rat vermin pedophiler supporter in a black robe said.

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?s=4325804

The judge says did it because he no longer believes in punishment and he wants to speed the rapist's entry into a rehabilitation program.
Ironic that YOU are trying to steer back to topic as you were the one that steered off topic to begin with.
Fair enough.
The jugde should not have used the bench to litigate. But the system is messed up in that it's progressing punishment over rehabilitation. The corrections department classified the man as a low risk sex offender, essentially that it's unlikly he would commit the same offense again.
It may seem an outrage that this man was sentenced to only 60 days in jail, but it is also showing that the system is so faulty in "tough against crime" that a 25 year judge would be willing to throw it all out because he sees the system as not working and that rehabilitation is more important.
It's true, light offenders should not be thrown in with hardened criminals, but then this current policy of dehuminizing criminals is not going to make a better society. Everyone faults and should be given the opportunity to show otherwise and be steered right. Or shown the path of God as is advocated in the christian faith. Jesus said "let he who has not sinned cast the first stone". All of us have sinned in our lives so then why do does society then seem so bent on locking up and throwing away the key to every offender?

jfuh said:
Ironic that YOU are trying to steer back to topic as you were the one that steered off topic to begin with.
Fair enough.
The jugde should not have used the bench to litigate. But the system is messed up in that it's progressing punishment over rehabilitation. The corrections department classified the man as a low risk sex offender, essentially that it's unlikly he would commit the same offense again.
It may seem an outrage that this man was sentenced to only 60 days in jail, but it is also showing that the system is so faulty in "tough against crime" that a 25 year judge would be willing to throw it all out because he sees the system as not working and that rehabilitation is more important.
It's true, light offenders should not be thrown in with hardened criminals, but then this current policy of dehuminizing criminals is not going to make a better society. Everyone faults and should be given the opportunity to show otherwise and be steered right. Or shown the path of God as is advocated in the christian faith. Jesus said "let he who has not sinned cast the first stone". All of us have sinned in our lives so then why do does society then seem so bent on locking up and throwing away the key to every offender?

I would not call victimizing a child a light offense.Of course, what more can I expect from the left.

jamesrage said:
I would not call victimizing a child a light offense.Of course, what more can I expect from the left.

Dude, shut up. I'm a liberal and feel rather sickened by it.

vergiss said:
Dude, shut up. I'm a liberal and feel rather sickened by it.

Sickened by what,the judge's light sentence he gave to that rat vermin piece **** sub-human child molester or my comment about the left wanting to to take it easy on vermin?

Originally posted by jamesrage:
Sickened by what,the judge's light sentence he gave to that rat vermin piece **** sub-human child molester or my comment about the left wanting to to take it easy on vermin?
Don't play dumb. You no what she meant.

A Child Molester?

Let the parents have him for just a little while.:flame:

If the person is convicted 100% of any murder, rape or child molestation then the person need to be SHOT, cremated and have their ashes thrown into a landfill or dump.

That is the only way you can rehab them.

Billo_Really said:
Don't play dumb. You no what she meant.
Well 10 people voted for "Rehabilitation and protection of society" and 3 people voted for " Rehabilitation (try to turn every criminal into a member of society)".So I have to wonder.

Well 10 people voted for "Rehabilitation and protection of society" and 3 people voted for " Rehabilitation (try to turn every criminal into a member of society)".So I have to wonder.
Not every criminal. Some have lost their right to ever be a member of society again. But you speak of them in terms as though they are one entity, with one mind-set and one common voice. That couldn't be the furthest thing from the truth.

Billo_Really said:
Not every criminal. Some have lost their right to ever be a member of society again. But you speak of them in terms as though they are one entity, with one mind-set and one common voice. That couldn't be the furthest thing from the truth.

So you are telling me that you either voted for the " Rehabilitation, punishment and the protection of society" or "Punishment (revenge for wrongs committed)" option?

So you are telling me that you either voted for the " Rehabilitation, punishment and the protection of society" or "Punishment (revenge for wrongs committed)" option?
I'm against revenge.

Revenge is a personal thing, if you want it, do it with your own time and money. Public tax dollars in the penal system should only be spent on productive goals, like rehab and keeping society safe.

jamesrage said:
Billo_Really said:
Don't worry Billo, :2razz: I'll always think of you that way.

Originally posted by Befuddled_Stoner:
Don't worry Billo, I'll always think of you that way.
What way is that?

Back
Top Bottom