• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What Should the goal(s) of our Penal system be?

What should the goal of our penal system be?

• Rehabilitation (try to turn every criminal into a member of society)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Punishment (revenge for wrongs committed)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Rehabilitation and protection of society (REAL life sentences for those deemed un-rehabilitable)

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Punishment, and rehabilitation if possible (main focus on the victims and their sense of closure)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Rehabilitation, punishment and the protection of society

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
jamesrage said:
JUnkies should not be treated as though they are vicitms.They are scum they are low life peices of **** degenerate scum who only give two shits about themselves.THese vermin make their choice to do drugs,nobody sticks a gun to head and forces them to do their drugs.

Where the **** is the smilies playing the violin when you need them?They made that choice to become degenerate junkies themselves.You want me to feel sorry because some rat vermin decided they wanted to be junkies?Boo ****ing hoo a junkie belongs behind bars.If they want to stay out of prison and not become addicted to some substance then do not do drugs.You want to smoke pot all ****in day then go to one of those ****ed up European countries that allow their citizens to become degenerate junkies.
Why do you want drugs outlawed? It only benefits you if they are legalized, $$$

TimmyBoy said:
Wow, you are nice guy aren't you? I'm glad to see you have some kind of compassion for others.

I have compassion for law abiding citizens.

Originally posted by jamesrage:
JUnkies should not be treated as though they are vicitms.They are scum they are low life peices of **** degenerate scum who only give two shits about themselves.THese vermin make their choice to do drugs,nobody sticks a gun to head and forces them to do their drugs.
Did you know that the legal drugs (caffine, nicotine and alcohol) have put more people in the ground than 1/10 of 1% of all the illegal drugs combined.

I have compassion for law abiding citizens.
Have you ever driven over 55 miles per hour? Have you ever changed lanes without signalling? Because if you have, your not a law abiding citizen yourself. So if you have, get off your high horse!

Re: What [b]Should[/b] the goal(s) of our Penal system be?

Stace said:
I think a good many people behind bars are capable of being rehabilitated, especially if they are first time offenders. For those that aren't, however, I say keep 'em locked up, if nothing else, it's cheaper than executing them.

I agree with this, I knew a guy that got 20 years in federal prison for drug dealing. I don't support drug use, but I think that is a bit harsh for the crime. They got him on federal charges. I also know a man that got 30 years for stealing over a million dollars, of course he was Chief Prosector, but that is too harsh as well. People get that kind of time or less for murder.

Billo_Really said:
Have you ever driven over 55 miles per hour?

You should have re-wored your question" have you ever drove above the speed limit"?In which my answer to that is by accident or to avoid a collision.

Have you ever changed lanes without signalling?
No not really

Because if you have, your not a law abiding citizen yourself. So if you have, get off your high horse!

"Yeah being a degenerate junkie every day is the same thing as once in a blue moon accidently go over the limit by a few miles ."

Billo_Really said:
Did you know that the legal drugs (caffine, nicotine and alcohol) have put more people in the ground than 1/10 of 1% of all the illegal drugs combined.

That is because drugs that are legal are easily accessible. I don't think caffine is much of a danger, nicotine and alcohol are over a long term basis.

Stupiderthanthou said:
As for its being a deterrent, the murder rate in the U.S., where there is capital punishment, is several times lower than that of the U.K. and a great many other nations where there is not. Draw your own conclusions...
You have sources for this?

Navy Pride said:
Pot frys brain cells and like beer leads to hard liquor pot leads to hard drugs..................
You have sources or evidence for such a claim? Or just your opinion

jamesrage said:
A society were I and many other tax payers do not pay for health and finiancial problems that certian indivuals have caused themselves because they wanted to smoke weed.
If by this then you are advocating that they should be locked up with hardened criminals, you're actually going to be paying more with your Tax money.

"Yeah being a degenerate junkie every day is the same thing as once in a blue moon accidently go over the limit by a few miles ."
Although I haven't done any dope in ten years, I still smoked pot every day for 20 years. I have dropped acid. I have taken mushrooms. I have eaten peyote. I have smoked crack, crank and coke. I have also had a 40 hour a week job every year (all year long) since 1973. I have been paying taxes (short form every year) since 1973. I have only collected un-employment twice since 1973. I have been voting in every election since 1976. I am a High School Graduate. I have (68) Units completed towards a Bacholars Electrical Engineering Degree with a GPA of 2.68. I currently live in a $1400.00 a month apartment one block from the Pacific Ocean in Huntington Beach, Ca. I wake up every day in Heaven.

Would you consider me a degenerate?

Last edited:
jamesrage said:
You should have re-wored your question" have you ever drove above the speed limit"?In which my answer to that is by accident or to avoid a collision.
How does driving over the speed limit avoid a collision? Last time I looked it was braking that avoided collisions. Oh well to each thier own right?

jfuh said:
You have sources or evidence for such a claim? Or just your opinion
I'm all for legalizing drugs, and even I know lesser drugs lead to more intense drugs...

Originally posted by Hornburger:
I'm all for legalizing drugs, and even I know lesser drugs lead to more intense drugs...
That's not necessarily true. I've known people that are in their sixties and have been smoking pot their entire lives regularly and have never gone on to harder drugs. They don't even drink. And alcohol is the king drug of them all.

Billo_Really said:
Although I haven't done any dope in ten years, I still smoked pot every day for 20 years. I have dropped acid. I have taken mushrooms. I have eaten peyote. I have smoked crack, crank and coke. I have also had a 40 hour a week job every year (all year long) since 1973. I have been paying taxes (short form every year) since 1973. I have only collected un-employment twice since 1973. I have been voting in every election since 1976. I am a High School Graduate. I have (68) Units completed towards a Bacholars Electrical Engineering Degree with a GPA of 2.68. I currently live in a $1400.00 a month apartment one block from the Pacific Ocean in Huntington Beach, Ca. I wake up every day in Heaven.

Sure. You live in the OC. Gotta move over to Palos Verdes so you be a snob.

Howdy neighbor!

Originally posted by Scarecrow Akhbar:
Sure. You live in the OC. Gotta move over to Palos Verdes so you be a snob.

Howdy neighbor!
They are snobby over there. I think it has something to do with the view.

Billo_Really said:
They are snobby over there. I think it has something to do with the view.

Yeah they are. I live with the trash around the bottom of the hill in Torrance. I get the impression from them that since I don't own a horse I may as well be walking behind one with a shovel.

Which is neither here nor there as far as this thread's concerned.

Originally posted by Scarecrow Akhbar:
Yeah they are. I live with the trash around the bottom of the hill in Torrance. I get the impression from them that since I don't own a horse I may as well be walking behind one with a shovel.

Which is neither here nor there as far as this thread's concerned.
I know what your saying. I had to paint one of those corrals when I was 16.
Oh well, back to the thread.

jfuh said:
Last time I looked it was braking that avoided collisions.
They do if it is you who is trying to avoid hitting someone.

Originally posted by Jamesrage:
They do if it is you who is trying to avoid hitting someone.
I asked you a question.

Billo_Really said:

You are junkie with a job.Good for you.

Originally posted by Jamesrage:
You are junkie with a job.Good for you.
You must really enjoy being wrong a lot. I haven't done anything in 10 years. Therefore, I'm no junkie. And I am currently un-employed, so I don't have a job.

Billo_Really said:
You must really enjoy being wrong a lot. I haven't done anything in 10 years. Therefore, I'm no junkie. And I am currently un-employed, so I don't have a job.

So you are a junkie with out a job.

Billo_Really said:
, I still smoked pot every day for 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom