• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What should I do?

I'm taking a college course at Harvard for 7 weeks alongside undergrads and grads from colleges around the world including Harvard. Yes, I'm in high school, but don't belittle me.

Dude, you are a junior in high school? Stop wasting your time on the girl, you will meet plenty of better ones in college.

Dude, you're not studying at Harvard, you're taking a summer course there. Do not confuse that with being an actual Harvard student. If you mention it to her as many times as you've mentioned it in this thread, no wonder she doesn't want to be around you much this summer. I almost hung myself by page # 4

So society is screwed up because some chick with a boy friend just isn't into you? Please. It's like that thread when you blamed George Bush because the "moron" students were holding you back in school. A few clues have been handed to you. Grab one of them and move on.

I'm taking a summer course at Harvard. Yeah, I'm studying there. Thats not the same as being a student at Harvard, yes, but its as close as someone in my age range can get to it. And I never brag in front of her, there is no need to.

This isn't about one girl who is already in a relationship, I was referring to how societal values in general seem to have deteriorated, but thats an entirely different subject. And teachers teaching to the test as a result of NCLB, and having to go back constantly for the morons did hold me back.

I've gotten them, and I plan to use them.

I'm taking a college course at Harvard for 7 weeks alongside undergrads and grads from colleges around the world including Harvard. Yes, I'm in high school, but don't belittle me.

I think what's she's also getting at is that you seem to feel that "studying at Harvard" is some big selling point for you to the opposite sex. And, that just isn't the case. The mere fact that you THINK it's such a huge selling point implies that perhaps it is THAT attitude alone that could be making you less attractive to your current love interest.

I think what's she's also getting at is that you seem to feel that "studying at Harvard" is some big selling point for you to the opposite sex. And, that just isn't the case. The mere fact that you THINK it's such a huge selling point implies that perhaps it is THAT attitude alone that could be making you less attractive to your current love interest.

Pretty much all I've said to her about Harvard was that I have to go away for 7 weeks, and that I can't talk to her much while I'm there because I need to study. Last time I talked to her, she asked me how it was, and that was like on the first day so I didn't really have much to say except the weather sucks and I'm moved in.

Yeah, her boyfriend is leaving. So I'm going to wait for some time until he is gone before I talk to her.

Yeah, her boyfriend is leaving. So I'm going to wait for some time until he is gone before I talk to her.

While you wait, find a different girl to fool around with.

I'm taking a summer course at Harvard. Yeah, I'm studying there. Thats not the same as being a student at Harvard, yes, but its as close as someone in my age range can get to it. And I never brag in front of her, there is no need to.

This isn't about one girl who is already in a relationship, I was referring to how societal values in general seem to have deteriorated, but thats an entirely different subject. And teachers teaching to the test as a result of NCLB, and having to go back constantly for the morons did hold me back.

I've gotten them, and I plan to use them.

Yet it's OK for you to belittle other students by calling them morons and blaming their lack of intelligence for your academic problems. That's belittling, son. My making sure it's clear that you're not a Harvard undergrad and simply someone who signed up for the extension program isn't belittling. It's honesty when you keep basing who you are on this tweaked bit of info.

Rivrrat was exactly right and explained it much better than I.

Pretty much all I've said to her about Harvard was that I have to go away for 7 weeks, and that I can't talk to her much while I'm there because I need to study. Last time I talked to her, she asked me how it was, and that was like on the first day so I didn't really have much to say except the weather sucks and I'm moved in.

First, the weather's been great, so I'm not sure if you're even in Cambridge if you're complaining about the weather. The last 5 days were beach days (I've got the sunburn to prove it :doh), and there's been a little rain today. Not sure what sucks about that. :shrug:

I thought *she* said you guys should spend less time so you could do well at Harvard. :thinking Now it's your idea? Well, no wonder she's not interested. You're pulling a "I can't spend time with you because of my studies at Hahhhhhh-vahhhhhhd."

It frosts my socks when guys go on about women only liking not so nice guys. You're not acting like Mr Nice Guy here. You're acting like a stuck up little boy pretending to be a Harvard student. Get real. I mean that literally.

Argument aside, I do think it's awesome that you're willing to go to school in the summer, and even if it's just the extension program, you will certainly enjoy taking classes on campus. I do think it's a magical place, and one can't help but feel the greatness that's come out of that school when one is there. I hope you can get back on campus in the fall when things are truly amazing. Best of luck this summer, Repeter.

Yet it's OK for you to belittle other students by calling them morons and blaming their lack of intelligence for your academic problems. That's belittling, son. My making sure it's clear that you're not a Harvard undergrad and simply someone who signed up for the extension program isn't belittling. It's honesty when you keep basing who you are on this tweaked bit of info.

Fair enough.

First, the weather's been great, so I'm not sure if you're even in Cambridge if you're complaining about the weather. The last 5 days were beach days (I've got the sunburn to prove it :doh), and there's been a little rain today. Not sure what sucks about that. :shrug:

It's really humid out here, and it just feels wierd coming from a super dry heat on the west coast. But yeah, its been really sunny and beautiful. Yesterday was awesome, it was pretty warm with clouds, and not that humid.

I thought *she* said you guys should spend less time so you could do well at Harvard. :thinking Now it's your idea? Well, no wonder she's not interested. You're pulling a "I can't spend time with you because of my studies at Hahhhhhh-vahhhhhhd."

I forgot who started the idea. I think it was her who suggested it, and I was like nah, and then later on i consented to it...okay she started it.

It frosts my socks when guys go on about women only liking not so nice guys. You're not acting like Mr Nice Guy here. You're acting like a stuck up little boy pretending to be a Harvard student. Get real. I mean that literally.

Honestly, the way I present myself to her, whenever I talk to her, is a hell of a lot more careful then when I present myself online.

Argument aside, I do think it's awesome that you're willing to go to school in the summer, and even if it's just the extension program, you will certainly enjoy taking classes on campus. I do think it's a magical place, and one can't help but feel the greatness that's come out of that school when one is there. I hope you can get back on campus in the fall when things are truly amazing. Best of luck this summer, Repeter.

Thank you :)

Honestly, the way I present myself to her, whenever I talk to her, is a hell of a lot more careful then when I present myself online.

Dude.. why not just be yourself? If you have to change the way you normally are when in front of her, that is a big red flag in my opinion for any actual long term relationship.

Let us know how it goes when you "talk to her" I can pretty much guarantee you're going to fail; you're doing everything wrong.

Dude.. why not just be yourself? If you have to change the way you normally are when in front of her, that is a big red flag in my opinion for any actual long term relationship.

I'm sorry, when I said that, I meant in regards to what I say. I try not to brag, which I generally try to avoid, but I'm just more cautious when around her-that sort of thing.

Let us know how it goes when you "talk to her" I can pretty much guarantee you're going to fail; you're doing everything wrong.

That really just depends on what I want to accomplish at this point. Based on what I want to accomplish, there is about a 50-50 chance of it working out the way I want it to.

That really just depends on what I want to accomplish at this point. Based on what I want to accomplish, there is about a 50-50 chance of it working out the way I want it to.

I feel like you need to loosen up... what are you, like 17, just relax and go have fun. If she digs you great, if not, who cares.

I feel like you need to loosen up... what are you, like 17, just relax and go have fun. If she digs you great, if not, who cares.

I do need to loosen up, but until now, I've been completely unable to. The problem is I care far too much about her, and I'm scared about going through with the advice I've been given because I don't want to lose her as a friend.

I do need to loosen up, but until now, I've been completely unable to. The problem is I care far too much about her, and I'm scared about going through with the advice I've been given because I don't want to lose her as a friend.

Speaking from personal experience, back when I was in high school, I dated a girl who I was really into. Ultimately I left for college and basically just ended all contact with her. It was one of the best things I ever did, it might suck for awhile, but ultimately I met my wife, and if I was droning on about some girl back home, I imagine she would have moved on as well.

Don't get so stuck on something that you miss out on your life, after all you are still in high school.

Speaking from personal experience, back when I was in high school, I dated a girl who I was really into. Ultimately I left for college and basically just ended all contact with her. It was one of the best things I ever did, it might suck for awhile, but ultimately I met my wife, and if I was droning on about some girl back home, I imagine she would have moved on as well.

Don't get so stuck on something that you miss out on your life, after all you are still in high school.

Same story here! There are otta fish in da sea, mon!

Yeah, I'm just going to not talk to her very often, like once a week. I have too much to do anyway, so I guess this is problem solved. Thanks to everyone for their advice, I've got it from here. I'll let you know how things turn out.

You go f**k yourself jack a**.

She wants to talk less because she wants me to do good in my class at Harvard. IE she wants to talk less because she is a good friend.

Or she is trying to send you a message that you are not picking up.. Honestly for you two to be sooooo close? It seems as if you do not really know her at all or you would/should be getting some sort of vibes from her.

I wish you good luck and well no matter what you end up doing.

Dude, stop acting as if you are all that just cause you are gonna be taking a college course at Harvard. I mean this thread alone is proof you are not all that so drop that Harvard trying to impress crap. We get it and got it the first time you talked about it.

Dude, stop acting as if you are all that just cause you are gonna be taking a college course at Harvard. I mean this thread alone is proof you are not all that so drop that Harvard trying to impress crap. We get it and got it the first time you talked about it.

Haha, I noticed that too. I did wonder if he actually got in, or was just in some summer program...

I went to an Ivy League school, frankly, its not as difficult as you might think.

Haha, I noticed that too. I did wonder if he actually got in, or was just in some summer program...

I went to an Ivy League school, frankly, its not as difficult as you might think.

What school did you go to? :)

What school did you go to? :)

University of Pennsylvania... which I suppose is not Harvard or Yale etc, but we are still in the Ivy League. ;)

So the general consensus seems to be I need to simply ask her if she will ever consider me more as a potential boyfriend...and if she responds negatively, I need to move on?

That would be my advice, coming from an older woman. Get to the point and resolve your questions one way or the other. Otherwise, you will make yourself miserable. If she's not grown-up enough to know what you mean to her, then don't waste your time.

Last edited:
University of Pennsylvania... which I suppose is not Harvard or Yale etc, but we are still in the Ivy League. ;)

Good for you! I am impressed:)

You must not be a business major. Going from the Wharton to HBS would be like going from prime rib to hot dog.

Back
Top Bottom