• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What should happen to this little girl?

What should happen to this child and her mom?

• If they are illegal, deport them both immediately!

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • If they are illegal, deport her mom, but she can stay.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • They both can stay.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
If they or even just the mother is illegal deport both of them. A child should not be used as a shield for trespassing\invading or any other illegal activity. By your logic we shouldn't throw someone into prison for a crime if they have a child. Personally I prefer polls so we can see who voted,seeing how anonymous polls can be cheated.

Last edited:
I think that she should be investigate for illegal immigration, and if she is an illegal immigrant, she should be made to go through the immigration process and if she's acceptable she and her child should be able to stay. A judge should then make the mother do community service. If her mother fails the immigration process, deport them both.

They both should be deported if they are here illegally. I think it is absolutely insane to allow children born in the United States illegeally to become citizens, as this isn't fair to parents who, after being deported, would be seperated from their children.

Believe the issue has already been addressed and concluded. The government will not be pursuing.

Will try to find a link......

she should be used as an object lesson for all other children of illegal immigrants ... so that they will understand it is not good for their families to be so forthcoming

The way I see it, if the parents came here illegally, the citizenship of the child has been obtained illegally. If they are caught then procedure should be to deport them both. As it stands however, the American constitution makes all those born on U.S. soil, legal citizens regardless of the circumstance around their birth.

"The 7-year-old put a human face on the issue Wednesday when she told the first lady during an elementary school visit that her mother had said President Barack Obama was "taking everybody away that doesn't have papers." Then she said her mother "doesn't have papers."

Mrs. Obama tried to reassure her that the president was working to solve the immigration problem and "everybody's got to work together in Congress to make sure that that happens."

A day later, the girl's mother declined to talk but permitted a brief interview with the girl on the condition that their names not be used because she is concerned about her immigration status.

The girl said she was happy to meet Mrs. Obama and Mexico first lady Margarita Zavala at New Hampshire Estates Elementary School and hoped to return the visit.

"I hope I get to go to the White House," she said.

Asked if she was worried about her mother's situation, the girl smiled and shook her head.

A Department of Homeland Security official said federal immigration authorities are not pursuing the family.

DHS spokesman Matt Chandler said in an e-mailed statement Thursday that Immigration and Customs Enforcement investigations "are based on solid law enforcement work and not classroom Q-and-As."

Chandler added the agency "prioritizes criminal aliens who pose a threat to our communities."."

TBO.com - News From AP

My wild ass guess is that this "awkward moment" is going morph its way into a positive for the administration. (tough for the opposition to take a stand against a cute 7 year old girl and her mama ;) )

It's all about politics and perception.

I think that she should be investigate for illegal immigration, and if she is an illegal immigrant, she should be made to go through the immigration process and if she's acceptable she and her child should be able to stay. A judge should then make the mother do community service. If her mother fails the immigration process, deport them both.

I can agree with this.

They both should be deported if they are here illegally. I think it is absolutely insane to allow children born in the United States illegeally to become citizens, as this isn't fair to parents who, after being deported, would be seperated from their children.

Yeah... I doubt that's what was intended when the laws were written.

she should be used as an object lesson for all other children of illegal immigrants ... so that they will understand it is not good for their families to be so forthcoming

Humans are not objects, and using this pair as a "lesson" will change nothing. If anything, Hispanics will trust and respect our government that much less. They will continue to live in hiding.

What can be so hard about the gubberment sitting up regional offices to process illegal aliens? Pay a 200.00 fine for being illegal, register, go 5 years and re-register or study for citizenship. Case closed. Weed out the bad, welcome the good with open arms. That way we will have finger-prints, DNA, information for tax purposes, and everybody's happy.

Why is the bureaucracy so backlogged? Tell that if you owed the IRS money they would make you wait 5 years to get around to collecting it.

It shouldn't take more than a half-hour and a fine to get legal. Unless, of course, the illegal has something to hide.

Deport them both. Illegal immigration should not be rewarded. And then people wonder why it is so bad. :roll:

What can be so hard about the gubberment sitting up regional offices to process illegal aliens? Pay a 200.00 fine for being illegal, register, go 5 years and re-register or study for citizenship. Case closed. Weed out the bad, welcome the good with open arms. That way we will have finger-prints, DNA, information for tax purposes, and everybody's happy.

Why is the bureaucracy so backlogged? Tell that if you owed the IRS money they would make you wait 5 years to get around to collecting it.

It shouldn't take more than a half-hour and a fine to get legal. Unless, of course, the illegal has something to hide.

Interesting approach. But wouldn't that translate to all anyone needs to do is sneak across the border with $200 in their pocket and they are good to go for the long term??

Seems a little dicey at first glance.....

A law has been broken, and an inadvertant confession made. It should be pursued exactly the same as any other evidence that a law has been broken.

If my child admitted on camera that I was doing something illegal, don't you think I'd be busted?

The mom has to go. However, the kid can stay if there are relatives who are citizens and are willing to take her in.

Jucon I agree humans aren't objects, AND the America's founding fathers give this little girl the right too live here even thought her mother is here illegally. This little girl seem to value being an American is that not what we want in people who come here? I feel sorry for the little girl, and the fact that she blew the secrete on her mother too the first lady, and Mexico's first lady

Feds Won't Pursue After Girl Says Mom Lacks Papers | NBC Washington

I have a update about this little girls family, and I think they made the right call in this. That someone who is proud

I can agree with this.

Yeah... I doubt that's what was intended when the laws were written.

Humans are not objects, and using this pair as a "lesson" will change nothing. If anything, Hispanics will trust and respect our government that much less. They will continue to live in hiding.

your semantic distinction is acknowledged. i should have noted that the girl's experience should serve as an object lesson
but we agree that this experience will illustrate to the other children in illegal households that they should remain quiet about those things which can jeopardize their families' condition

the quote attributed to the DHS spokesmodel is troubling:
[DHS/ICE] prioritizes criminal aliens who pose a threat to our communities

it is good that there is a priority to ferret out those who are potentially the most dangerous. but the implication is also that those who do not pose an observable threat are left alone
that attitude - expressed by an authority of the DHS/ICE no less - attracts more illegal immigration and undermines the rule of law. it shows that government embraces selective enforcement of the law as a policy and a practice. that reality should cause every American citizen to be alarmed

By your logic we shouldn't throw someone into prison for a crime if they have a child. Personally I prefer polls so we can see who voted,seeing how anonymous polls can be cheated.

No, I gave no such logic, nor do I believe in such a thing. And regarding your poll issue, it was simply a matter of on-the-spot choice when I put it up. I have no real preference either way.

Oh look, the "pull my heart strings" tactic. Whouda thunk a liberal would resort to it. :roll:

Should you wish to actually discuss this issue in a rational manner, i'll gladly oblige you. If, however, you wish to continue to make broad, off-base generalizations about my personal or political motivations for constructing such a poll, I won't.

Last edited:
Should you wish to actually discuss this issue in a rational manner, i'll gladly oblige you. If, however, you wish to continue to make broad, off-base generalizations about my personal or political motivations for constructing such a poll, I won't.

So what is your thought on the issue....??

So what is your thought on the issue....??

Thanks, Cole! =)

Personally, I think she should stay, as I believe that "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside" (14th Amendment). I believe "persons" is a rather liberal term here, as the child is obviously a minor and not accorded the same privileges as an adult. Your interpretation might be different, of course, and that's fine. I also don't have an issue with her mother staying, provided she gets citizenship asap. It should be a simple matter given the popularity of this story, and I imagine she'd jump at the opportunity.

Last edited:
Jucon I agree humans aren't objects, AND the America's founding fathers give this little girl the right too live here even thought her mother is here illegally. This little girl seem to value being an American is that not what we want in people who come here? I feel sorry for the little girl, and the fact that she blew the secrete on her mother too the first lady, and Mexico's first lady

Feds Won't Pursue After Girl Says Mom Lacks Papers | NBC Washington

I have a update about this little girls family, and I think they made the right call in this. That someone who is proud

Contrary to popular belief our forefathers did not write the section 1 of the 14th amendment to include any and everybody born on US soil. They wrote it to make the freed slave into US citizens.Why else have the Indian citizenship act of 1924 and the nationality act of 1940 that made anyone born in the US a citizen if section 1 of the 14th applied to anyone born on US soil?

Interesting approach. But wouldn't that translate to all anyone needs to do is sneak across the border with $200 in their pocket and they are good to go for the long term??

Seems a little dicey at first glance.....

Not if the register stations were located at the border.

Watch the video:

'My Mom Doesn't Have Papers' - Video - FoxNews.com

(Story and another video found here)

Girl Outs Mom's Citizenship Status During Obama Visit | NBC Washington

In your opinion, what do you think should happen to this little girl and her family now that she inadvertently blew the whistle on them?

The little girl is secondary to the issue of the mother being here illegally. The mother should be immediately investigated and, if found to be illegal, deported and given the option of taking her little girl with her, leaving her behind with relatives, or leaving her behind for adoption.

Thanks, Cole! =)

Personally, I think she should stay, as I believe that "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside" (14th Amendment). I believe "persons" is a rather liberal term here, as the child is obviously a minor and not accorded the same privileges as an adult. Your interpretation might be different, of course, and that's fine. I also don't have an issue with her mother staying, provided she gets citizenship asap. It should be a simple matter given the popularity of this story, and I imagine she'd jump at the opportunity.

So most of this this statement is a lie.

"No, I gave no such logic, nor do I believe in such a thing. And regarding your poll issue, it was simply a matter of on-the-spot choice when I put it up. I have no real preference either way."

Back
Top Bottom