• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What should happen to politicians who tell lies in their campaigns?

What should happen to a politician who tells a lie in a campaign?

• Give the other candidate bonus votes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AtlantaAdonis

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Should there be any kind of punishment for politicians who aren't honest in their campaigns?

Should there be any kind of punishment for politicians who aren't honest in their campaigns?

As much punishment as is applied to those who post pointless threads.

#1stAmendmet #'Murica

That depends on the type and content of the lie. Nothing undue, mind you. Only something between nothing and 10 years in prison, I'd say. We must make the laws and let the courts decide. Problem will be formulating them so as not to do any all too great damage to the political system.

As much punishment as is applied to those who post pointless threads.

#1stAmendmet #'Murica

Do you believe that should apply to fraud and wilful deception?

Under very specific circumstances I would be in favor of going after them in civil court the way we do with false advertising.

So if Candidate A claims that Candidate B voted for law x, when Candidate B did NOT vote for law x, and Candidate A made this claim in order to win votes, I think there should be some sort of civil penalty for Candidate A.

If Candidate A promises to pass law Z once he gets into office and once in office he doesn't pass law Z, I don't think there is anything we can do to him other than not vote for him again. There are numerous reasons a candidate may not be able to keep a campaign promise. Sometimes it was a lie from the start, but sometimes they were just wrong. And differentiating between the two could be problematic.

The death penalty should apply to those crimes obviously

Quite so. By bonfire!
That way the children will later remember it by the marshmallows they roasted.

I think it's significant that it's a crime, often a felony, for you to lie to the government or even make a mistake but it's perfectly okay for the government and it's minions to lie to you.

Misrepresenting yourself, your opponent or an issue should lead to disqualification for office. A misinformed electorate can not make a well thought out decision if they are lied to. Just like in a court of law, deliberate lying should be strictly prohibited and punishable for much the same reasoning. That's the ideal. Will never happen of course.

Under very specific circumstances I would be in favor of going after them in civil court the way we do with false advertising.

So if Candidate A claims that Candidate B voted for law x, when Candidate B did NOT vote for law x, and Candidate A made this claim in order to win votes, I think there should be some sort of civil penalty for Candidate A.

If Candidate A promises to pass law Z once he gets into office and once in office he doesn't pass law Z, I don't think there is anything we can do to him other than not vote for him again. There are numerous reasons a candidate may not be able to keep a campaign promise. Sometimes it was a lie from the start, but sometimes they were just wrong. And differentiating between the two could be problematic.

Good point. that could be considered Libel, however in the New York Times vs Sullivan the court held that the First Amendment provides 'open and robust debate even when the debate includes "vehement, caustic, unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials."
They held that in order to claim Libel a public official would have to prove malice. so since that case it has been that it has to be prove that a statement was made with actual malice. This is not easy to do legally.
This was extended beyond just public officials in Associated press vs Walker.
And in Gertz vs Robert Welch Inc the court held that a person who "voluntarily injects himself or is drawn into a particular public controversy" becomes a public figure "for a limited range of issues."

So when it comes to anything like this it is pretty hard under current law to really do anything about it. other than at the voting booth.

What is a lie? Many people say FOX news and MSNBC lie but they don't really lie. They just tell the truth from their perspective. Also, if it is found out that something is not true, that does not necessarily mean that it was a lie. Many people say things which aren't accurate or turn out to be wrong. How on Earth could you possibly police this?

I wanted to vote other but it was not a choice. However, I think they should be allowed to keep the dog they allegedly received as a gift.

Are you talking just republicans, or are democrats included too. :roll:

They should lose their job. Free speech may protect you from the government, but it does not protect you from your employer. Any employer that finds out that they were lied to is well with in their Rights to fire that person that lied to them asap if not right then and there. And considering that I am in part their employer, along with 300+ million other people I say fire em.

As for the campaign trail, automatic disqualification from being able to get the job. I would never hire someone that lied to me. Their application would automatically be tossed in the trash bin.

Do you believe that should apply to fraud and wilful deception?

How do you commit fraud in a political campaign? i'm genuinely curious.

Fraud usually means you made a binding committment to another party that you had no intention of ever honoring.

think of bad checks, if you write a check to the grocery store thinking you had the money in your account to cover it, and it bounces, you're not guilty of check fraud. if you write a check knowing it will bounce you are.

I do not think any court has ever ruled that a campaign promise is a binding contract creating a duty to carry it out. so I do not know if that ever can be fraud.

Fraud usually means you made a binding committment to another party that you had no intention of ever honoring.

think of bad checks, if you write a check to the grocery store thinking you had the money in your account to cover it, and it bounces, you're not guilty of check fraud. if you write a check knowing it will bounce you are.

I do not think any court has ever ruled that a campaign promise is a binding contract creating a duty to carry it out. so I do not know if that ever can be fraud.

If fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, then statements that the politicians knows to be untrue and that are made to deceive the electorate in order to get the job are fraud. So take your pick. That we have neglected enforcing this, is our fault, but it does not mean that we should continue to let it go.

A promise to someone is a binding contract. If that promise is broken then they are in violation of that contract. Courts have held that verbal contracts are binding in a court of law. You can easily see this by witnessing any small claims court proceeding where they only thing that either side has is a verbal contract or a promise to do something.

A promise to someone is a binding contract. If that promise is broken then they are in violation of that contract. Courts have held that verbal contracts are binding in a court of law. You can easily see this by witnessing any small claims court proceeding where they only thing that either side has is a verbal contract or a promise to do something.

it must also be objectively reasonable to assume a contract existed.

and I do not believe any court will rule an election year campaign promise to be one.

They should lose their job. Free speech may protect you from the government, but it does not protect you from your employer. Any employer that finds out that they were lied to is well with in their Rights to fire that person that lied to them asap if not right then and there. And considering that I am in part their employer, along with 300+ million other people I say fire em.

As for the campaign trail, automatic disqualification from being able to get the job. I would never hire someone that lied to me. Their application would automatically be tossed in the trash bin.

Get idea in theory.

But in practice?

We need SOMEONE in charge.

If we booted everyone that lied we wouldn't have.many folks left.

Back
Top Bottom