• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What Should Europe Do ?

Fried Rice

Reaction score
We see Mr Bush noe thinks he can resolve our internal dispute with Taiwan by insisting EU countries maintain its arms embargo against China "to maintain balance" No doubt like his "balanced" approach to Iraq.

Taiwan is an internal matter for the Chinese. Talks - dipolmacy - is at an all time high and this year we allow direct flights for the first time in 49 years (otherwise they must go via Hong Kong or Macau). Taiwan is the largest investor in the Chinese mainland, there is free right of passage for all Chinese. Dont you think a small place like Taiwan would ask for help if it needed it ?

I think Bush use Taiwan as tactic to criticise China and put a stop to our excellent relations with EU countries. I hope Eu leaders see the true situation and arent persuaded by the lure of money laundering contracts in Iraq.

Its a good job the USA is such a perfect paradise that Mr Bush can spends time sorting out the rest of the worlds "problems" !!

Fried Rice is in bad mood today

I think the United States government is alarmed about how far Europe is slipping away, how the gap is widening, how Europe is developing thoughts and aims of their own. The Bush trip is to try and get Europe back under control again, to be honest the damage has been already made.

Europe realizes that it doesn't need the United States anymore, the EU has more population and more GDP than the United States also it is ever expanding eastwards. Europe should stick by her guns and principles for the trade embargo.

Europeans also realize that America is changing, it is not really fact based but faith (fantasy) based country now. Saving Private Ryan was not shown on any American channels because of bad language and gory scenes (buts thats war!). You wouldn't also get a European doctor claiming that Spongebob was making children homosexuals.
This is not where Europe wants to be, Europe and the US will drift apart.

GarzaUK said:
Europe realizes that it doesn't need the United States anymore, the EU has more population and more GDP than the United States also it is ever expanding eastwards. Europe should stick by her guns and principles for the trade embargo.
Well, just so you don't get too uppity, China has more people that both of us put together.

Europeans also realize that America is changing, it is not really fact based but faith (fantasy) based country now. Saving Private Ryan was not shown on any American channels because of bad language and gory scenes (buts thats war!). You wouldn't also get a European doctor claiming that Spongebob was making children homosexuals.
All this moral values, faith based, gay marriage, abortion, ten commandments, public prayer and all the rest of it are simply handy red herrings that the Republicans drag out every time the discussion of anything of substance is threatened. At that point a great babble ensues and everyone forgets what they were about to say. It's as good as a gag and works like a charm. It would be nice to be able to say that it will all go away in a while, but it may not. :eek:

GarzaUK said:
I think the United States government is alarmed about how far Europe is slipping away, how the gap is widening, how Europe is developing thoughts and aims of their own. The Bush trip is to try and get Europe back under control again, to be honest the damage has been already made.

Well, yes mainland Europe is drifting apart from the USA in almost every way possible, and rightfully so. But your country, thanks to Mr. Blair, is never more than a few feet behind the US. So perhaps it isn't wise to consider the UK part of Europe in the sense that the rest of Europe is operating together quite efficiently, going aginst the US in virtually every area while the UK, once the mightiest empire in the world, now operates as an extension of the American empire. And he UK's excuse for a 'labour party' (the greatness of 'New Labour') is almost as pathetic as the USA's democratic party.

anomaly said:
Well, yes mainland Europe is drifting apart from the USA in almost every way possible, and rightfully so. But your country, thanks to Mr. Blair, is never more than a few feet behind the US. So perhaps it isn't wise to consider the UK part of Europe in the sense that the rest of Europe is operating together quite efficiently, going aginst the US in virtually every area while the UK, once the mightiest empire in the world, now operates as an extension of the American empire. And he UK's excuse for a 'labour party' (the greatness of 'New Labour') is almost as pathetic as the USA's democratic party.

Well I guess I'm in the minority in the country of the UK (the smartest). Forever our nation has been a bridge between the US and Europe, but I feel that distance is even to big for us. I think it is time for Europe to be united to balnce out the superpower role of the US, but like I said I'm the minortiy of the UK unfortunely. Blair's lapdog role to the US however has made him I hated figure, he will win the election because their is no-one else decent to give a vote to. I blame the media for the UK being an extension of the American Empire, the US don't have the UK's best interests anymore, just their own - but has it ever been different?

I think it is time for Europe to be united to balnce out the superpower role of the US

I don't like it, but if I were europe, it's what I would do.

Between WWII and the mid 90s, there was an imposed stability in europe brought about by the tensions of the cold war. There were two distinct sides. You were either NATO or Warsaw Pact. In my mind, the lines were clearly drawn. Now that the spectre of destruction by Soviet missiles has evaporated, what exactly are the european nations going to do?

If there was a true unification, I beleive that europe would most certainly become a super-power. Why aren't they now?

anomaly said:

You are absolutely correct.

We in the UK should join fully with the rest of Europe, but as long as we have a right wing tabloid press, no hope!

And as for the "New Labour" party - my blood just boils when I think what Phoney Blair has done to the old Labour party!

Back
Top Bottom