• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What should be the burden of proof in a rape case?

What should be the burden of proof in a rape case?

• Clear and Convincing Evidence, majority verdict

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Preponderance of Evidence (more likely than not), majority verdict

• Reason to Believe, majority verdict

• The Accusation Itself Is Sufficient To Convict

• Total voters

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I see rape is a prominent issue these days. My favorite question to ask: What is the eventual result of this? Will the prominence of this issue change the criminal justice system?

I see rape is a prominent issue these days. My favorite question to ask: What is the eventual result of this? Will the prominence of this issue change the criminal justice system?

The burden of proof is the same in any criminal case - your first choice in the poll.

It has always been a capital offence as far as I know. Why should we want to change it?

It has always been a capital offence as far as I know. Why should we want to change it?

Because women are more important than men and we should err on the side of an innocent man being sent to prison rather than risking a woman not being believed claiming she's been raped. Furthermore, institutions of "higher learning" set the pattern for our future, just ask Paul Nungesser or the Duke LaCrosse team.

http://www.newsweek.com/2015/12/18/other-side-sexual-assault-crisis-403285.html

That's a rather empty-headed question. Why would the entire criminal justice system change simply because rape is a more prominent issue?

Last edited:
It's a ridiculous question, correctly answered in the first response, and deserved of ending the thread.

It's a ridiculous question, correctly answered in the first response, and deserved of ending the thread.

With so many ideologies running around, you never know how people will reply. Actually I'm pleasantly surprised.

The same as for any crime.

With so many ideologies running around, you never know how people will reply. Actually I'm pleasantly surprised.
Fair enough.

It seems like it's already handled well enough in the courts.

There's recourse against those that provide false accusation via criminal and civil statute.

And the courts require a unanimous jury finding of 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

So it seems to me to be pretty well taken care of, at least in terms of protecting the innocent.

Physical proof, or two witnesses without plausible motive to lie. The woman herself has motive to lie about the fact of force* being used, so she should not be accepted as one of the two witnesses.

*Though she is a credible witness if the sex act itself is sufficient to establish a crime (e.g. stat rape).

I seem to be in the minority, but I think it's a perfectly valid question for discussion purposes. Especially considering that in the court of public opinion "The Accusation Itself Is Sufficient To Convict" is very prevalent. It is certainly not unheard of for an innocent person's reputation to be forever ruined due to a false and purposely malicious accusation of rape... even after the accusation has been fully debunked.

Back
Top Bottom